• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump replacement cost?

nascar_intimid

Reaction score
City, State
st.catharines,ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 eddie ..'02 limited
how much on the average to have a fuel pump replaced?? just a quick post as I think mine has caffed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would guess $600 minimum. Use the search function, I'm guessing this has been discussed before.

i did but couldn't find it...i was quoted 4-500

jayhawkexplorer said:
I would guess $600 minimum.
Geez, why?

The $400-$500 seems a bit high. I would ask for a break-down of the time/materials cost.

600!!! is it 24 karat gold!

Robb said:
Geez, why?

The $400-$500 seems a bit high. I would ask for a break-down of the time/materials cost.

I haven't agreed to it ..and as for all intense purposes the garage still hasn't found the problem as they were looking at it towards quitting time today but i figure around 300

The pump itlsef is not exactly cheap as pumps go... about $100 as I recall... the dropping the tank and doing what needs to be done took me about 4 hours the very first time, I think I could lower that with experience, but say 3 hours book. At $75 an hour x 3 = $225. I bet THEY won't sell you a pump for $100, but if they did $325.

Find a Mom and Pop auto repair business. Buy a pump. Ask em how much to install. THAT will probably get you the cheapest price overall.

When I am too lazy I have a guy who I go to with my cars... He is about 60... he and wife run a great little hole in the wall biz... and he is good and very reasonable.

Charlie is my kinda guy! (a little far from poster Nascar tho.) (lol)

(but Bud light? Bud is fine)

Yep, as Glacier mentioned, as a DIY project, your are looking at a +/-$100 pump. With an empty fuel tank (ie siphon the tank and save the gas), the job really isn't bad at all. You aren't looking at a project filled with special tools or procedures or anything.

Get yourself a Hayne's manual, spray down everything around the tank with a penetrating oil prior to doing the job, and give yourself 1/2 day to do it.

costed me $530 $580 including towing lol my pump was $272 and $200 labor and like $20 plus tax. its in the fuel tank so the labor was a lot of green

yea make sure you save the fuel you siphon out...cause that fuel is like gold now a day...so expensive.

and Charlie, i wish there were more guys like you around where i live....it's hard to find good peeps like you.

Robb said:
Geez, why?

My price was that high because I was thinking of a 2nd gen fuel pump, like the one for mine, which costs $190. $400-500 sounds more like it. I really doubt you'll be able to find a shop to install a part that you bring to them though, unless you know a mechanic pretty well. Most of them won't do it because they won't make the money marking up the part. Even if they did, you most likely won't get any warranty, at least from them.

Are you guys talking about some beefed up super fuel pump here? I just got a regular replacement fuel pump at 69 bucks with lifetime warranty, as for labor I'm not even a mechanic, this is my first time fixing on a car but you save a lot just doing it yourself, its a pretty straight forward procedure. I got some posts somewhere around on what I done so far. I havent put back the gas tank yet cause I need a new sender lock ring. Only thing is, its time consuming getting the tank down and all, that why labor is going to be high.

You can go to the shopping section of Autozone.com to get an idea of what a cheap replacment fuel pump (with sending unit) costs.

Some places sell just the pump.. Others sell it with the sending unit (better way to get it).

I will spend extra money for a better quality Fuel pump only becuase its a pain to change on a 4x4 (skid plate is bent on my truck)..

As far as labor goes... I "think" the book said 3 or 4 hours to do the job. Soo.. Figure $200 or so for the part (shops charge more than autozone will charge) and 4 hours labor... labor rates out here (Tucson, Az) range from $48/hour to $125/hour...

~Mark

jayhawkexplorer said:
My price was that high because I was thinking of a 2nd gen fuel pump, like the one for mine, which costs $190. $400-500 sounds more like it. I really doubt you'll be able to find a shop to install a part that you bring to them though, unless you know a mechanic pretty well. Most of them won't do it because they won't make the money marking up the part. Even if they did, you most likely won't get any warranty, at least from them.

you are 100% right!!!

explorerscope said:
Are you guys talking about some beefed up super fuel pump here? I just got a regular replacement fuel pump at 69 bucks with lifetime warranty, as for labor I'm not even a mechanic, this is my first time fixing on a car but you save a lot just doing it yourself, its a pretty straight forward procedure. I got some posts somewhere around on what I done so far. I havent put back the gas tank yet cause I need a new sender lock ring. Only thing is, its time consuming getting the tank down and all, that why labor is going to be high.

I'd love to know where you got that pump from with a lifetime warranty for that cheap. What brand is it?

I got it(just the pump only) from Advance Auto parts shop. The brand is "Master" and it seems to be built better than my original Ford. At the intake it has a built in metal strainer so even if your regular strainer falls off or something, there is still some protection in addition to the regular cloth type strainer that goes onto the pump. The pump only is 61.88 and the full assembly is $118.00 www.partsamerica.com is the online shopping site for Advance Auto.

You may have a point with buying the whole assembly because I found it difficult to find the proper wire terminals I needed to connect to the pump(ones that lock into spade terminals) but I didnt have the extra dough.

The plate for the gas tank is not that hard to get off. Its held up by 5 bolts and that's it. I did the job with a regular ratchet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The other problem you may have with that lifetime warranty is that if you don't replace everything (strainer, sender, module), it sometimes is hard to get the part warranteed. Just depends on how much of a jerk the parts guy you're dealing with is.

Back