Gabriel ProGuard Shocks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gabriel ProGuard Shocks?

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
I just ordered Gabriel ProGuard shocks for my 2002 xls 4x4. I have read the forum and everyone usually spends 2x the price for shocks. I want to know if the ProGuard shocks are any good. If they are crap I will just send them back. I also don't have a clue if they are gas charged. The web site does not specify if they are or aren't.

FRONT- GABRIEL_PRO_GUARD SHOCK/STRUT - 61623 2 $0.00 $19.99 $39.98
REAR- GABRIEL_PRO_GUARD SHOCK/STRUT - 61624 2 $0.00 $19.99 $39.98

Thanks
V :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have searched and can't find anything on these shocks. If anyone has any info it would be appreciated.

I just dont wan't to go from worn shocks giving a crappy ride to crappy shocks giving a crappy ride.

Thanks
V

I work for ArvinMeritor Canada (formerly Arvin, formerly Gabriel Canada). I will look at the specs and get back to you. I'm sure they won't be crappy shocks giving a crappy ride, but typically all aftermarket valving characteristics are based on OE specifications but tailored somewhat differently to take different factors into consideration - such as vehicle age, broken in components, etc. I could spend a great deal of time on the topic of gas charging, but it seems there are those who absolutely must have it because they heard it's good to have it (they themselves don't even know why they'd need it) and there are those who only insist on having it when they understand how the application would benefit from it. I'll pm you with more information next week.

Thanks rd_turbo...I look forward to your findings. Your right about the gas shocks. I actually don't know what the difference would be. I don't even know if the 2002x comes with gas shocks.

Thanks again
V

I'm interested in the gas charging and what it means.

I know that the gas used is nitrogen instead of air in the oil chamber.The shock is pressurized with this gas.During driving and shock movement especially in extreme conditions the oil would be saturated with air bubbles and become less efficient. The internal valve is designed to move through fluid not air bubbles and would become less efficient.If the oil is saturated with air the density with change and the valve will move through it differently. Nitrogen gas does not mix with the oil under the same conditions as air, which allows the oil to be bubble free and the shocks can perform well.
If I am wrong...OOPS! I must of mixed some reading with beer.

trucku - I just looked at the drawings and the shocks are gas charged. To answer your initial question, these shocks are probably entry-level shocks and the price usually reflects that. These shocks are tuned quite nicely so in terms of getting a crappy ride, I can guarantee that it won't be the case. Will they perform under extreme conditions like others costing twice or three times as much? No one can properly predict how these shocks will be used, but it all boils down to what you need them for. If you need them for serious off-roading where they'll be exposed to prolonged high-temperatures, then they're probably not the right fit. When we develop shocks we have a full understand of the "Achilles heel" of our competitors' shocks and we set targets depending on the design intent and application. We know exactly what makes others' twin-tubes and mono-tubes fail and that helps us make decisions.

We know that some use gas charging as a crutch in twin-tube applications where proper valve balancing between the piston and base valve is not present. We have predictive software to determine what the valving should be to maintain balanced flow. Gas charging is used to make oil flow more efficient through the valving - and yes in applications where the nitrogen is exposed to the oil, there will be some mixing resulting in an emulsion. However, all that is taken into consideration when a valve code is developed. If proper balance is maintained between the piston and the base valve, you don't really need gas charging for most standard applications. Gas charging results in a rod reaction force and also acts as an additional spring force, which results in (often unwanted) harshness. The benefits of gas charging are improved flow characteristics in compression and rebound. In Compression the gas in the reservoir maintains a constant preload on the oil, thus maintaining full pressure differential between the piston and the base valve. In Rebound the gas helps evacuate the oil from the reservoir into the working cylinder, thus greatly reducing cavitation. This is especially important to consider when designing shocks for smaller vehicles such as snowmobiles and ATVs and motorcycles (also check out our high performance rec. vehicle site www.rydefx.com).

In monotubes, it's a whole different ballgame. Monotubes have a floating (dividing piston) which moves proportionally to the ratio of rod to bore diameter. Monotubes are high-performing dampers by design, by virtue of oil/gas separation. Oil being incompressible results in much more stable damping characteristics. Higher pressure nitrogen gas below the floating piston acts purely to balance out the oil flow through the piston. If the gas charge is too low, the floating piston will 'dump'. If the gas charge is way too high, the damping forces will fade (with increased temperature). When we design monotubes, there's a whole slew of different parameters to consider. High end monotubes may not always have room to package a floating piston in the main working cylinder and often communicate with a remote reservoir via a hose, in order to reduce deadlength or increase stroke capacity. Remote reservoirs also allow you to incorporate compression damping adjustment, so there's an added benefit.

In short, the shocks you picked out are entry-level aftermarket shocks with marginally improved performance over OE shocks. What you need them for will dictate if they'll perform acceptably or not on your application. We have a Gabriel 'Max-control' monotube produced overseas which was advertised a couple of years ago in Road and Track. I'm not sure if they're available to the US yet, but those would certainly be a great alternative.

I hope this information helps you make the best decision for your vheicle.

I just did a search in our system and you can get our Gabriel Max Control monotubes for your application

61623 - 77678 (Max Control monotube)
61634 - 77679 (Max Control monotube)

Find a supplier who can get you those and those will be a better bet if you're looking for greatly improved performance.

The problem with Explorers in general is that they're oversprung and underdamped - which is the reason why Ford decided to lower the specified tire pressure at the last minute - in a mad dash to improve ride characteristics (hence the whole tire fiasco - the tires were greatly compromised in doing so). The ride is always going to be harsh as a result of the stiff spring rates.

I don't know if anyone has tried to rent a trailer from U-haul and tow it with an Explorer. U-Haul do not rent to people who drive Explorers - I found out the hard way.

6124 - 77679 (Max Control monotube)....sorry...typo

THANKS A MILLION rd_turbo!!! :thumbsup:

I think I will go with what you suggested and send these back. You have totally answered all of my questions. I will not be offroading. My wife rides with our 18month old in the back and I know it can be pretty bumpy.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Thanks again :thumbsup:
Vishant

Back