Two builds in one- 93 4x4 Prerunner and a DD 2000 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Two builds in one- 93 4x4 Prerunner and a DD 2000 5.0

87xjmike

Reaction score
City, State
Colfax, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 exploder
It's been a while since I've been on, I wanted to update my thread and be more active here as I've somehow accumulated 4 explorers so one might say I'm right at home here. But seeing as Photobucket decided to hold all my images hostage I'll create another and will gradually update once I recover all my images and host them.

I bought the 93 stock and built it up to the point of how the truck sits now. As of late it's on king coilovers and radflo airbumps
Threat extended c&t uniballed d35 beams that I plated and trussed myself
Deaver springs under a 86 bronco 9"
4.56's fully locked on 33" mastercrafts
I rebuilt the motor and tranny after I sunk it in the Mojave trail creek crossing. It runs pefect but I got the power bug so I'm in the process of collecting parts to drop my 5.0 in from my parts expo.

We're having a baby in a few weeks so I had to get a nice expo for the misses to drive in. So we got a 2000 Eddie bouer 5.0 awd with a blown tranny. I lifted it 2", installed a transgo shift kit after a partial tranny rebuild, and fabbed up a home built exhaust wit a dynomax muffler, And i just installed some 31" Bfg AT's this week. I plan to document the ladies expo here as well as I've put a lot into that.

For now I'll just post pics of some trips I've done recently and will gradually post the build pics, processes that worked and didn't, and future work
IMG_1286.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1290.JPG
IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1299.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG
IMG_1517.JPG
IMG_1524.JPG
IMG_1526.JPG
IMG_1576.PNG
IMG_1577.PNG
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_2987.jpeg
IMG_1876.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I plated the front of the frame with 1/8" then added the 1.5x.120 DOM for the hoops and cross bar.
The front 14" kings are pulling 18" of travel on one side and 16.5" on the other. I was allowed more droop on the passenger side due to axle window clearance while drooping out the driver side when pass Beam was at full bump.
Added a hurst shifter, no more third gear grinding when speed shifting in the dirt.
Clearanced the rear crossmember for a 33" spare. I've since moved the 9" back one inch so I need to re-clearance for that and the truss on the 9" that sticks out further back.
Upgraded the tow rig and trailer from a 460 ObS to a 7.3 super duty and triple axle. I miss the look and sound of the 460 truck but the 7.3 really is a nicer tow.
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0465.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG
IMG_0902.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1089.JPG

I have the same problem on my front wheels , can the radius arm bushings cause this > ?

IMG_1290.JPG

It's possible but likely not. I have heim joints at the pivot points of my radius arms. The main causes are typically alignment and worn beam pivot bushings. If your steering is towed out to much it can cause negative camber like that. Check your camber bushings at your upper ball joint, they spin to adjust your caster/camber.

I set mine like that for off-roading trips as it corners better in the burms.

How big is your spare tire shown in the factory position? Do you have any pictures of it and how far it hangs below the bumper?

It's a 33x12.50, it sticks down A bit. I'd like to build a skid for it. These are the only pics I have from when it was installed. It's got to come a little further back now that i have the trussed 9" in.
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG

I added a 5.0 explorer MAF a week ago and cut the butterfly rod in my stock TB. I took it on a snow run and it Definitely seems to have a little better throttle response.
IMG_1946.JPG
IMG_1944.JPG
IMG_1951.PNG
IMG_1952.JPG

I ordered the phenolic intake spacer from Morana racing and a underdriver pulley from sumitt so we'll see how it performs After all that.

IMG_1728.JPG
in order to keep the spindle nut retainer from spinning, I built up some material with a little weld and then ground it down to a snug fit so it doesn't spin at all when I tighten the outer nut down.

Back