and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

GF's car won't start, think it's frozen fuel lines.

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by cantspell, January 9, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. cantspell

cantspell Active Member

City, State:
      Toronto. Canada
      Year and Model:
      1998 xlt
      Hello, my GF has a 89 probe, it's workign perfectly, only 50,000 km on it (it was stored previously). Anyways, it's turning over easily, but won't start, where she lives today it's about -30c,. -44 witht he windchill.
      i think it's the fuel lines, if so, any idea's of how to fix, she has no sheltered/warm area. any ideas of what to do, of what else it could be?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. sncwfo99

sncwfo99 Active Member

City, State:
      Glasford, Illinois
      Year and Model:
      '94' Sport 99 Durango
      you could try dumping some heat or a similar gas line dryer in the tank. if that doesn't work only other thing I can suggest is putting up some kind of temporary enclosure around the car and use a portable gas heater to thaw it out enough to get it started.

4. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Itasca IL
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT 4.0L OHV
      Yeah, a bottle of dry gas would help. Maybe you could rent a 'salamander' (kerosene fueled, electrically fired heater) to blow hot air under the car. That should warm everything up enough to unfreeze the fuel line, if that's what it is. You won't need an enclosure to use it and, actually, it's better than being overcome by fumes.

Good Luck - Dave.

5. Opera House

Opera House Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      Year and Model:
      97 Explorer XLT
      I have never believed that frozen fuel line stuff. Sure the filter could have a bunch of water in it but that would show up on a good day too. Find the pressure test port and see if it has pressure. You can remove the schraeder valve with the same tool found on some bike tube caps. Slip a hose over it and pump some gas into a jug. That will check flow and the contents.

6. cantspell

cantspell Active Member

City, State:
      Toronto. Canada
      Year and Model:
      1998 xlt
      well, after finally listening to me, she had it pushed into a garagea dn it started, she was just above empty...i can't say anyting rude rude here, but really, she's an idot, i did ask her if she had fuel...anyways, thanks for all the help.
      Matt.