• Register Today It's free!

GPS Question

yow04xplr

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB, 11 LTD
I've noticed that the actual position of my vehicle on the road is anywhere from 30 - 100 feet ahead of the location of the vehicle on the navigation map. This means that during route guidance, the vehicle passes the road that you need to turn on just as the navigation system is telling you to turn. I have missed a number of turns as a result of this. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I'd hate to have to slap my TomTom GO730 on the window of my new EX which is supposed to have a state of the art NAV system in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its a new EX, take it to the dealer and let them "deal" with it. LOL

Not on mine, at least not yet after a few days of ownership. So far it has been very accurate, including traffic. Albeit, dictating the address directions in the Sync system is still tricky. Part of the challenge is a lot of street names in Southern California are of Spanish origin, and the Sync system could use a few margaritas to understand comands better. :bdrunk:

Also, understand the GPS hardware is only as good as the map data it gets. If Ford is not getting good data form whatever map data company it uses (and there are only a couple is my understanding), I am not sure what they can do about it.

Mine has been pretty accurate the few times I have routed somewhere.

Part of the challenge is a lot of street names in Southern California are of Spanish origin, and the Sync system could use a few margaritas to understand comands better. :bdrunk:

Maybe learn the commands in Spanish and switch the Sync language to Spanish. :)

Yes, have the same problem. Also noticed the map detail is not near what it is on our '10 taurus. Some older major roads & streets not even listed in our area of northern CO

My 4 year old Garmin (Nuvi 680) is lightyears ahead of Ford's Navigation System.:( If it wasn't for the freaking suction-cup and power cord, it would be up on my dash or windshield right now.

My 4 year old Garmin (Nuvi 680) is lightyears ahead of Ford's Navigation System.:( If it wasn't for the freaking suction-cup and power cord, it would be up on my dash or windshield right now.

I agree, the Garmins have them beat hands down (except for voice commands...my 3790 just can't seem to understand my voice). HOWEVER, I was glad to see they have come a long way since the Nav I had in my 07 Escape. That was the biggest piece of garbage I have ever seen. In the 4 years I had it I think I brought the screen up a total of 8 times, and 5 of them were to show people how crappy it was. This one is at least useable.

Garmin should be branding their product with a car manufacturer. For example, just like the Sony sound system in my Limited.

Back