Help! Cooling system problem on my '04 Sport Trac XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Cooling system problem on my '04 Sport Trac XLT

joeysXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Exp Sport Trac XLT
A few blocks close to home last night, first, the steering was hard for a few seconds while make a right turn. Second, at a stop light I could see steam coming from underneath the hood. That God, I made it home.........where I opened the hood a found upper radiator hose had burst.

Swapped it out this morning. And found radiator was full after adding less than a gallon of anti-freeze. Burped it then ran engine. Not good, engine temp guage did not move but started to overheat, I shut it off immediately!

I'm thinking blockage in the radiator or maybe bad thermostat?

Joey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have not gotten all the air out of the cooling system. SOHC's can be difficult to "burp". Have you tried letting the engine heat up with the radiator cap off?

You have not gotten all the air out of the cooling system. SOHC's can be difficult to "burp". Have you tried letting the engine heat up with the radiator cap off?
Yes. And coolant started overflowing out of the radiator.

When the coolant level inside the engine is too low (like when air is trapped w/in the engine block) the sensor for the TEMP gauge is not submerged in the coolant and therefore doesn't register. Also, the coolant doesn't flow to the radiator and the engine will quickly overheat.

One suggestion is to raise the front of the vehicle to help it expel the trapped air, the other is to run with the radiator cap off. Why Ford didn't put a bleeder valve in the thermostat housing (like other manufactures do) I don't know.

My experience:
Years ago my daughter had a lower rad hose blow on her '01 Explorer SOHC. After replacing the hose I refilled the radiator with coolant and ran the engine with the front wheels up on ramps. After around 8-10 mins of idling the TEMP gauge still hadn't moved off cold, so I knew there was air trapped inside the engine. I took a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze mix with me and went for a short ride around the block. I didn't get far when all of a sudden the TEMP gauge went to HOT and the radiator puked into the overflow tank enough to blow the cover open. I immediately pulled over and let the engine cool off (took about 10-15 mins). As the engine cooled it sucked the coolant out of the overflow tank, which I kept refilling. At that point I restarted the engine and the TEMP gauge was working normally.

When the coolant level inside the engine is too low (like when air is trapped w/in the engine block) the sensor for the TEMP gauge is not submerged in the coolant and therefore doesn't register. Also, the coolant doesn't flow to the radiator and the engine will quickly overheat.

One suggestion is to raise the front of the vehicle to help it expel the trapped air, the other is to run with the radiator cap off. Why Ford didn't put a bleeder valve in the thermostat housing (like other manufactures do) I don't know.

My experience:
Years ago my daughter had a lower rad hose blow on her '01 Explorer SOHC. After replacing the hose I refilled the radiator with coolant and ran the engine with the front wheels up on ramps. After around 8-10 mins of idling the TEMP gauge still hadn't moved off cold, so I knew there was air trapped inside the engine. I took a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze mix with me and went for a short ride around the block. I didn't get far when all of a sudden the TEMP gauge went to HOT and the radiator puked into the overflow tank enough to blow the cover open. I immediately pulled over and let the engine cool off (took about 10-15 mins). As the engine cooled it sucked the coolant out of the overflow tank, which I kept refilling. At that point I restarted the engine and the TEMP gauge was working normally.

I'll give these suggestions a shot and let you know. Thank you Koda2000 for the help!

I'll give these suggestions a shot and let you know. Thank you Koda2000 for the help!

If you still can't get it to burp, one way to get the air out of the upper engine might be to remove one of the push-in style temp sensors from the top of the t-stat housing. They're held in with a metal clip and seal with an o-ring. If you pull one out, whatever air is trapped in there will escape instantly. Just don't loose the clip.

Good luck!

If you still can't get it to burp, one way to get the air out of the upper engine might be to remove one of the push-in style temp sensors from the top of the t-stat housing. They're held in with a metal clip and seal with an o-ring. If you pull one out, whatever air is trapped in there will escape instantly. Just don't loose the clip.

Good luck!

Good luck!
Turns out it was a bad thermostat which came out in two pieces. Engine is running normal, temp guage is working and I'm getting heat too .after replacing it. Didn't have to raise it or pop out one if the sensors.....thanks for your help.

Turns out it was a bad thermostat which came out in two pieces. Engine is running normal, temp guage is working and I'm getting heat too .after replacing it. Didn't have to raise it or pop out one if the sensors.....thanks for your help.

Congrats! At one point I was wondering about a bad t-stat, but you saying that the TEMP gauge hadn't moved off COLD got I was thinking more trapped air.

Back