help with 211 code Profile Ignition Pick-up circuit fault | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help with 211 code Profile Ignition Pick-up circuit fault

If you go to the Transmissions forum in the stickies is a thread ALL about fixing that shift motor....

As for the press ... you need an arbor press (or shop press).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 3.0 in the Ranger does not use a Crankshaft position sensor in the ignition. That is the 4.0 setup. What you have inside the distributor is the hall effect switch pickup assembly i mentioned earlier. The bad news is that to replace that assembly, you need to: a) remove the distributor (marking it for proper orientation on reassembly) and; b) then from the distributor, remove and disassemble the stator, which requires a press. This one is a PITA.

You may want to exhaust all other possibles and fix everything that needs to be fixed (vacuum leaks etc) before jumping into this one.

ps. You won't find much about this process in Haynes etc because it is beyond the tools available to (and in most cases ability of) the typical DIY'er.

glacier--a thought....

is it possible to remove the top half or section of the shaft without taking the whole thing apart? It almost looks like the top section should be separate from the rest....in the distributor, I mean. That one plate is the only thing standing between me and removing the pickup coil/swapping in the new one. I am just not sure about how this goes...it almost looks like some kind of snap ring or lock ring holds the plate in place above the pickup coil....

ok, so I removed the distributor. I did in fact need a press to remove the drive gear from the bottom of the shaft, but in the process the gear broke. Anyways, it's all back together now, except for the new drive gear, picked that up just tonight. All I have to do now is get the new gear in place and drop the distributor back in, and I should be in business.....

Let us know the results. I am betting you will have it fixed. Those Hall Effect sensors are a problem child.

Hmmm... wonder if he got it fixed?

funny you asked lol

ok, I got the new gear on, and I got the pin inserted through the gear. Obviously it has been a while, and with work and school I have been too busy to get into very much else lately. However, now that the gear is in its proper place, the shaft will not spin at all. I read something about resetting the proper shaft end play after you install the gear, how would I do that?

Back