• Register Today It's free!

Hooking up electric brake

redebauer

Reaction score
City, State
st cloud,mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
I just purchased a 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer. This is my fourth Explorer. This truck has the factory tow package and I want to install an electric brake under the dask. It seems everyone I talk to says that there is a factory harness under there that I can hook a pigtail to. I can't seem to find it. I've taken off the bottom dash panel and still no luck. Any help out there?

Thanks

If it's not under the dash then yours may not be equipped with one.

-Drew

I think every 3rd generation has one. Its behind the glovebox. I am not sure of the exact location. Ive been in the dash, and Ive never seen mine, but I know it does have one. It could be tucked up somewhere. Wish I could be of more help.

Brought this one up from the dead because although new to Exploders, I have found mine and happy the way I use mine.

It is behind the glovebox on the passenger side even though the Ford drawing would lead you to believe it is on the driver's side. I think it is even on the left side behoind the glove box. Since the dash knee room on both sides is pretty limited, instead of hard mounting my electric brake controller, I simply tied my Ford suppied pigtail to the wiring from my controller and tucked it under the edge of center console so it comes out by the left front corner of the passenger seat with the plug that goes into the back of the controller. I then keep my unplugged controller in the center arm rest box when I am not using it then pull it out, plug it in and rest it on the center console tray when I am actually towing. This keeps it close when I need it, out of the way when I don't and never any knee banging.

Back