and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How do I replace headlight bulbs?

Discussion in 'Performance Lighting' started by MFeatherstone, April 11, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MFeatherstone

MFeatherstone New Member

City, State:
      Nokesville, VA
      Year and Model:
      97 Explorer Sport
      Greetings from Virginia,
      I own a '93 Explorer and my daughter has a '97 Explorer Sport. I need to change the headlight bulbs on the '97 Explorer but cannot figure out how to do it. I thought I might need to remove the lens, but after removing the two screws that are visible under the rubber protective covering, the lens is looser, but does not readily come out. So I'm guessing there is another screw that I'm not seeing. And I tried removing the connection at the rear of the headlight assembly; it's a tight squeeze but I can get to it.

The rubber protective cover says to consult the service manual to change the light bulb. Well, I don't have a service manual.

Can someone provide me some guidance on this? I'm not a klutz, but don't want to force anything and do more harm.

Thanks.
      MJF

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. celly

celly disturber of the peace Elite Explorer

City, State:
      calgary
      Year and Model:
      99 eb 5.0 awd
      It takes smaller hands to do it effectively on the 2nd gen Explorers ('95-01).

Makes it easier overall to remove your battery on one side and your airbox/filter on other side, but it's possible without (I did it way back when, but a real pain). You need to loosen the black lockrings on the back of the lights and then pull the bulbs out, replace, reverse the process.

5. MFeatherstone

MFeatherstone New Member

City, State:
      Nokesville, VA
      Year and Model:
      97 Explorer Sport
      thanks, Celly. I'll give that a try.