How do I replace headlight bulbs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I replace headlight bulbs?

Greetings from Virginia,
I own a '93 Explorer and my daughter has a '97 Explorer Sport. I need to change the headlight bulbs on the '97 Explorer but cannot figure out how to do it. I thought I might need to remove the lens, but after removing the two screws that are visible under the rubber protective covering, the lens is looser, but does not readily come out. So I'm guessing there is another screw that I'm not seeing. And I tried removing the connection at the rear of the headlight assembly; it's a tight squeeze but I can get to it.

The rubber protective cover says to consult the service manual to change the light bulb. Well, I don't have a service manual.

Can someone provide me some guidance on this? I'm not a klutz, but don't want to force anything and do more harm.

Thanks.
MJF

It takes smaller hands to do it effectively on the 2nd gen Explorers ('95-01).

Makes it easier overall to remove your battery on one side and your airbox/filter on other side, but it's possible without (I did it way back when, but a real pain). You need to loosen the black lockrings on the back of the lights and then pull the bulbs out, replace, reverse the process.

thanks, Celly. I'll give that a try.

Back