How to: 3rd Gen BODY LIFT. Install. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cool man, I appreciate all your help and engenuity. When I first got on here I only dreamed of doing a body lift and spacers like your making. Now here we are!
And I'm still thinking 35's, I am prepaed to trim fender wells.

Not a worry... I'm glad to help :salute:

Keep us posted, and throw up them pics when you get done. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm still curious about the steering extension. What keeps the top part of the extension in place? Anybody from those that have done this have a pic upclose of they configured this? I'm almost done by the way, really just the front bumper unless I need to change the steering extension.

It's very easy, other than the fact that you do need to do a little grinding to get the shaft to slide into the extension.
But you're dealing with two bolts, and the extension, that's it.
You slide the upper shaft into the extension, and bolt it together, then slide the extension into the lower shaft, and bolt that together, that's it. :thumbsup:

Well mine wasnt quite that straight cut, there isnt a hole on the upper shaft on mine so I had to drill one. The lower hole on the extension was useless cause the lower shaft has an offset hole that when you insert the bolt into it clamps down on the lower tab part of the extension. So it isnt a bolt straight through 2 holes type situation, better than the upper but not perfect. Here's a couple pics:
steeringextension.jpg

steeringext2.jpg

Are those pictures taken down near the steering rack???
The spacer is suposedto go in at the top of the shaft.
The two shafts slide into each other about a foot down from the firewall... right at the firewall there is a bolt that you can undo, slide the shaft down further, and install the spacer where the other bolt came out of.
Let me see if I can find an old pic, I don't have any pics of it installed, but I might have one of the location.

Right here, it's about 2 inches from the firewall.

Picture012.jpg

Yeah mine looks different. I just measured it and it's 6 inches from the firewall. There arent any other pieces that disconnect. It's wierd that we have the same year and model but have some differences. And I didnt have to grind the top female section of the extension, it fit perfect. I did have to tie back a radiator hose that was against a pulley.

OK here it is! Thanks so much Roadbully!

truck001.jpg

truck002.jpg

Completely changes the look doesn't it? :thumbsup:
Looks great.
Looks like you're ready for a touch up on those rims ;)

Yea maybe next weekend, I've changed tires twice without touching up.
Sure wish I had some air power this weekend!

Great Job! looks awesome

Questions

When doing the body lift, do you need to follow the instructions even though its for a Ranger? Could someone who has done this give a list of things to unbolt, like what things in the engine compartment need to be unbolted, along the frame underneath, etc. Im planning to do my X in the next 2 weeks but wanna get more guidance on what needs to be done to have it prepped to put the blocks in. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
C. Estes

Nothing in the engine compartment nor from the frame needs to be unbolted. :thumbsup:
Remove the front and rear bumper covers, loosen the body mount bolts, remove half, reinstall the new bolts, then do the other half.
Pretty straight forward.

So nothing with the brake lines in the compartment need to be unbolted? Cause it looks like on mine that if I raise it with the blocks the lines will be in the way. As you were doing your lift, were you watching everything to make sure nothing was bending wrong?

So nothing with the brake lines in the compartment need to be unbolted? Cause it looks like on mine that if I raise it with the blocks the lines will be in the way. As you were doing your lift, were you watching everything to make sure nothing was bending wrong?

HAHA.. yes, I was watching... I had 4 people watching.
The brake lines are fine. :thumbsup:
I'm actually lifted 6 inches... and my brake lines are still not stressed. :thumbsup:
I've also been driving it for a couple months without issue. :)

Dont forget the fan shroud, it comes apart in halves. remove the bottom half and trim.

Dont forget the fan shroud, it comes apart in halves. remove the bottom half and trim.

or just leave it off like i did..

however that could be why it now sounds like a jet engine taking off...
might need to go trim mine haha

Yea I guess you could, the shroud helps channel the air though. Too easy to not do it.

That looks great. I think the 285s are the tire size that really makes an Explorer look good. The 265s are a big improvement over stock but they do not stand out like the 285s. I am not sure if I will ever go this far on mine but it sure does look good on the ones you guys have done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I guess you could, the shroud helps channel the air though. Too easy to not do it.

Yeah, that's why I trimmed mine, I figured the bottom of the shroud is there for a reason, channeling air was my thought as well. :thumbsup:

Back