How To remove and paint your front grille | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To remove and paint your front grille

buckflash...
Quick question. I did a similar paint job to my billet grille, it seems to chip fairly easy. How's the paint holding up on your grille? Is it chipping easily or not?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

buckflash...
Quick question. I did a similar paint job to my billet grille, it seems to chip fairly easy. How's the paint holding up on your grille? Is it chipping easily or not?

I want to know how it's holding up, also. I'm thinking of doing this on mine soon, but with gunmetal gray.

As long as you sand it and primer it good (like he did in the first page) it shouldn't chip or flake. I'm gonna start this project tomorrow, and if it starts chipping later on I'll let you know

As long as you sand it and primer it good (like he did in the first page) it shouldn't chip or flake. I'm gonna start this project tomorrow, and if it starts chipping later on I'll let you know

Sounds good. I fixed my chipping issue, in a month, only 2 small chips. Post a pic up of how your grille turns out.

Painted grille and headlights, also put a layer of night shades on my fog lights
168461_1846042877707_1439708356_32092137_1258030_n.jpg

driven about 300 miles and no problems with chipping

driven about 300 miles and no problems with chipping

Good to hear :thumbsup: And good looking Ex. The silver really gives a good contrast.
I just washed my Ex and found 3-5 small chips on my grille, but that just a simple repair.

NICE I have all day tomorrow to pursue this venture. I hope my mountaineer comes out just as good. However Im going to leave the Mercury emblem the satin color that it is currently with the black lettering.

sorry to bring up an old thread, but im going to do this hopefully this weekend and was wondering if you used a gloss or semi gloss black?

or does it not matter since you put clear over top of it?

and do you need to take out the front headlights? from the pics it just looks like tabs that you can just slide out... maybe i just answered my own question?

sorry to bring up an old thread, but im going to do this hopefully this weekend and was wondering if you used a gloss or semi gloss black?

and do you need to take out the front headlights? from the pics it just looks like tabs that you can just slide out... maybe i just answered my own question?

I think you did answer it. Plus I wouldn't count on him getting back to you, he hasn't made a single post for almost two years. He started all these great threads then disappeared off the face of the earth. IDK what happened to him.

I think you did answer it. Plus I wouldn't count on him getting back to you, he hasn't made a single post for almost two years. He started all these great threads then disappeared off the face of the earth. IDK what happened to him.

Use a gloss paint. Thats what i did when i did this to my Mountaineer!

Hey.

How did you take the headlight assembly apart?

on my 07 there is 3 bolts, i cant remember the size though.

2 bolts are on top of the headlight, the third one was on the bottom between the bumper/grill and the light. you can get to it from under the hood but will need an extension, but you dont need to take that bolt all the way out just loosen it. and then the headlight slides out.

i finally painted my grill black, wow what a difference. it completely changes the whole look.

nice write up. looks real good.

very informative thread with great pics. Nice write up

Great directions: I'll be dong this tomorrow, but: How do I get to the screws on the side and bottom? So far they are hiding from me. (2010 XLT).

good write up. im about to do my grill with plasti-dip so this was very helpful thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like those tires whats the measurement of those wheels and tires?

Back