• Register Today It's free!

Name that lift kit!

924x4

Reaction score
City, State
kimberley,bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
ok, so as some may know i bought this explorer a month or so ago. having a decent amount of knowledge on explorers , so im not a total noob in this one. im still trying to find out just what kit i have in my truck. and im not finding anything.. help would be appreciated .from what i can tell its either a 3 inch body and 3-4 inch suspension! I hate making a post like this.. haha feel like such a newb. but im hoping someone out there might know what kit it is,. the pitman arm radius arms and transmission mount/crossmember are a bright red. my springs are also red and my socks say illusions custom on them.. im really at a total loss:dunno: :help: and the coilsprings come to about 15 1/4 inch sitting as is with all weight on them.
HPIM0156.jpg

HPIM0155.jpg

HPIM0154.jpg

HPIM0153.jpg

HPIM0152.jpg

HPIM0151.jpg

HPIM0150.jpg

HPIM0149.jpg

HPIM0148.jpg

HPIM0147.jpg

HPIM0146.jpg

HPIM0145.jpg

HPIM0144.jpg

HPIM0143.jpg

Thanks, and sorry for the nooby post!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easiest way to find out if its a body lift is to see if you have big ass pucks on each body mount :D

err. i have installed a few body lifts. i know for a fact its a 3 inch body lift, sorry for the confusion.. im actually just wondering about the suspension lift.. to me it looks like i have add a leafs and shackle lift in rear?.. im wondering if its a 3 or 4 and possibly who makes it.

Skyjacker ClassII. Top hole in the pivot bracket = 4", bottom hole = 6". Usually.

Yea I was assuming Skyjacker also.

Skyjacker ClassII. Top hole in the pivot bracket = 4", bottom hole = 6". Usually.

Agreed. I have the Skyjacker crossmember, just like that one.

lol noob post lol u guess you can say that j/k...the ttb coils are not good with flex they are very stiff, well i got f-150 rough country 6 inch lift coils and they flex better than i have seen any ttb flex (ttb dont flex well any way unless you know what to do to get it) yea its definitely a skyjacker... oh and some good ole oil leaks

That's how tall the Skyjacker 6" lift coils usually sit at on a 4dr Ex., which is an actual lift height of 4¾" or so, and is probably why the axle is in the 4" bracket holes, generally it aligns better, and you get more clearance under the differential that way (SJ coils are slightly softer than most TTB coils, and is probably why they often come up a little on the low side like that).

If you want more flex however, then yeah, you'll probably need to get away from stiff TTB coils and look at some early Bronco or F-150 coils. You'll also want to flatten out that steering linkage a bit more with such coils too (either with the bigger drop pitman arm SJ# FA600, or you could modify a Superrunner steering linkage to work with it).
Check that something as simple as too-short shocks aren't what's limiting your flex first though.

Early bronco springs

That's how tall the Skyjacker 6" lift coils usually sit at on a 4dr Ex., which is an actual lift height of 4¾" or so, and is probably why the axle is in the 4" bracket holes, generally it aligns better, and you get more clearance under the differential that way (SJ coils are slightly softer than most TTB coils, and is probably why they often come up a little on the low side like that).

If you want more flex however, then yeah, you'll probably need to get away from stiff TTB coils and look at some early Bronco or F-150 coils. You'll also want to flatten out that steering linkage a bit more with such coils too (either with the bigger drop pitman arm SJ# FA600, or you could modify a Superrunner steering linkage to work with it).
Check that something as simple as too-short shocks aren't what's limiting your flex first though.
If A guy wanted lets say 2 to 3" of lift, what springs (early Bronco) would be a good start?
Thanks

If A guy wanted lets say 2 to 3" of lift, what springs (early Bronco) would be a good start?
Thanks

You'll probably have to do a little bit of figuring.

You'll want to determine what the loaded height the springs need to be at for the amount of lift you want (3" lift would be between 13.5-14" --- or find the loaded length of your stock coils, and just add to that), then you'll need to find a coil with the right rating that will settle to that height when your truck's weight is put on them (remembering the 1.5:1 "nutcracker" effect the TTB beams have on the coils).

As a rough guess, you'll need something in the neighborhood of 18-19" free length, with a rate around 250-325lbs-in (I think something like that would be rated for around 3" lift for the early Bronco).

If you have a 2dr Ex, Jeep ZJ coils (3-4") could work also (these might be a bit too soft for a 4dr though, not sure).

Thanks 4x4, That helps greatly!

so , i guess im gonna get that pitman arm, and new springs/shocks, but what im wondering is . am i going to have to make new shock/spring mounts or will i be able to reuse what i have, im also having trouble finding what shocks/springs to get. my idea is to get the most flex without having to weld in any new mounts.

You'll want to do something with the upper shock mounts for sure if max flex is your goal. The stock ones really don't allow you to put a good long shock on there.

Shock mounts from a F-250 are popular, maybe you can use them together with some Bronco or F-150 coil buckets (that would better fit those coils as well).

Back