How to replace upper intake manifold gaskets | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace upper intake manifold gaskets

i think I am heading down this path...getting CEL's...it reads bad o2 sensors. But i think its either gas cap or gaskets

i am recording miles it takes for CEL after clearing the codes. one was 250 miles, one was 465.

nothing consistent... I should check mileage after fill up for it to come on...could be gas cap I guess

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been chasing a rough/low idle for several months. With no code or CEL, I just starting replacing original parts...here's the list

Plugs/Wires
TPS
MAF
EVAP Control Solenoid
EVAP Pressure Sensor & Hoses (hoses clogged)
Belt & Tensioner & Idler Pulley
Air & Fuel Filters
PCV & PCV Elbow (elbow was pinched)

Finally... this thread informed me about the dreaded upper intake gaskets. Well, did the job today. Sure enough, the two rear gaskets had signs of failure. Also, three of the injectors looked liked they were dragged through the mud.

So, I replaced the intake gaskets and the injector o-rings (after soaking them for several hours). Put it all back together, and I got my missing 200 rpms back. Very happy.

In Summary:
1. I had no CEL but was running 200 rmps less normal (warm idle in drive).
2. pull/clean the fuel injectors in conjunction with this job. you'll need to get the injector o-ring kit in addition to the gasket kit. it's about $10

upper intake gaskets

hey guys getting ready to do this my self i noticed some people had problems with studs breaking on retorque is this only when you replace lower as well when you actully remove the studs? or can this happen just torquing the top 6 nuts down just to do the uppers? thanks

Has anyone had to get new bolts for the intake plenum? I was replacing the bolts and stripped the torx head right off a bolt. Does anyone know of another place I can go to get new bolts besides the dealer? Using the dealer is not a big deal, but it's Sunday and I want to put my truck back together today rather than let it sit in the garage for a few days. Any tips would be appreciated!

Lowes,Home Depot. They have 8.8 at least. Assuming you can get a socket on em. I have the ohc. Take a good one and see what you find,not sure how long your's are. Lowe's does have a decent selection of metric bolts now.

I'm trying to change the upper manifold gaskets on my '97 Ranger 4.0 and found this thread. I have all disconnected except that I can't get the @#$% EGR tube out of the manifold. Haynes doesn't even mention this!! I've seen some posts that get close to this question on this thread, but I don't see the solution.

I have the EGR unbolted from the bracket, but it's the bracket with tube that I want to get loose. The first nut on the stud that holds the tube holds the dipstick tube. That came off no problem. But the nut/stud that holds the bracket won't move for anything. I heated the nut with my acetylene torch - nothing. Then I heated what appears to be a fat washer under the nut, still nothing. On close inspection this seems to be a stud with a nut made into it in the middle, so I'm really trying to remove a bolt from the exhaust manifold. Next step is to try heating on the manifold, but I found this forum and just joined in hopes that someone's been thru this. I gather that later 4.0's may be configured differently, so if yours isn't a '97, it may not apply. Is there some trick to getting the @#$% tube out of the upper manifold that doesn't require doing what I'm trying to do?

How can something so straightforward can wind up being so complicated, all because of one stud/nut??

Never mind - I figured it out!! The EGR tube hooks toward the front of the truck, so you have to pivot the manifold to get it free. Great, now I can go forward. But at least I found this forum and am happy to be signed on.

i replace my intake gasket upper intake and o-rings and new full tune up new egr valve clean maf it was fine one whole week bang the light up again so give up i check for fuel pressure i got 30 p.s.i the book 30 p.s.i it ok

Hi guys, This is a great thread. I have a 2000 4.0L OHV with 145000 miles on it. The cel comes on & I'm getting the dreaded two codes saying both banks are lean. I changed the O2 sensors just because my mileage is getting up there & they were an easy place to start. That not fixing the problem I cleaned the maf sensor & the Iac sensor (it needed cleaned). I am still getting the faults. This Explorer runs excellent!!! I have a smooth idle, I'm getting 23 mpg on the highway with no hint of a problem. I have tried to detect intake leaks with carb cleaner, starting fluid etc. & detect none (even on below freezing mornings). Is it possible that I still do need to change the upper & lower intake gaskets?

I think some of the confusion over all this is FelPro's fault, at least with '97's. I bought my '97 Ranger new (build date 4/97), it only has 31K on it now, and nobody works on it but me, so there is no question that what I found was anything but original. I replaced the upper gaskets several wks ago, hoping that would do the trick, but it threw an 0171 code again, so I pulled it back down to take the fuel rail off, expecting to find grooves in either the rail or lower intake to accept the other three neoprene/silicone(?) gaskets that came with the FelPro 90733 Upper Manifold set (for 1996-97 4.0), all six of which were identical. Instead, no grooves, so I guess I need to get FelPro 90732, which I expect will be the paper gasket with silicone beads. Someone else resolved their problem with a '97, above, by getting '98 gaskets.

So the question is, did the '96's have grooves in either the fuel rail or lower intake to accept three O-ring type gaskets just like those in the plenum, or has FelPro been putting twice the needed number of O-ring type gaskets into 90733 when instead it should not have been making any distinction between '96-7 4.0 upper intake sets and those for '98 & forward?

BTW, I think I found the smoking gun in the lower gasket - the gasket partition between the two front intake ports had pulled into one of the ports so they were sharing intake air.

Mission accomplished, and Oh, does it run sweet now!! :D (It did run a bit rough at first until the computer reset itself.) I'd thought it was still running OK before doing this, despite the check engine light, but it clearly hadn't been.

I was really worried that something would go wrong, since this was the first time I've ever taken a fuel rail off. There was a lot of trash down around the bottom of the injectors, too. Fortunately, they all detached on the top end, but I worried that I might have gotten some trash into them anyway. Carefully cleaning every bit of the old gasket off the surfaces took as much time as anything. I couldn't find my gasket scraper, but a large flexible kitchen knife did just fine. And much as I anticipated the possibility and tried to avoid it, a socket dropped into an intake port, so have a magnet on a rod handy or shove a paper towel into each port as soon as you can.

Before getting the rail back on, I took an old glass syringe and 21-gauge needle and flushed each injector out with gas, hoping to blast any particles that might have gotten in there out. No telling if any had, but it didn't seem like it would hurt. (If you try this and only have a plastic syringe, make sure the plunger doesn't swell/dissolve in gas first.)

Then getting the rail on, I Vaseline'd the O-rings, and swabbed the ports on the rail with 10W30. To some surprise, the first side popped together pretty easily, but with the first side I had fairly full freedom of movement to align the injectors with the holes. For the other side, tho, this left the injectors at an angle vs. the holes. But by shifting the rail toward the other bank, past the position it would eventually sit at (so the injectors would be more perpendicular to the holes) and giving a gentle bump with the rubber end of a hammer handle, it popped on too. Hoo-bloody-ray!

For torquing the studs following the pattern someone kindly posted near the start of the thread, I first took all to 60, then 90, then 110, then 120 INCH-pounds. Then I waited and came back to re-torque. I think I did this at least 3 times before there was no further movement on any stud. No problems with snapping any torx head. Remember - 120"-lbs is 10ft-lbs! I re-checked the torque on the plenum today, and there was only a very slight shift on one nut.

BTW, it occurs to me that if you do snap a torx head off, there's no reason why you can't just lock two nuts together on the stud and torque using the top nut, then de-lock them. It'll take awhile to do it that way unless you have enough nuts to do all six studs, but probably way less time than it takes to go to the dealer for a set of new studs - you don't need the torx head for anything later. I don't understand how you can snap a head if you're using the right torque setting, tho.

The only other thing of note is to make sure, while getting the plenum on, that you get the O-ring on the EGR tube seated to the point that you can't see it anymore.

I hope this may be of some further help. I'm extremely grateful for all the help I got from all the posts above!

hello
:mad:i change my upper intake gasket and o-rings gasket i follow and did everything this page told to and i change 3oxygen sensor full tune up new coil pack everything went find for one whole week i went with my girlfriend went perfect into one day bang the check light show up again i said what the #### could it be my girlfriend think cat all bad maybe be clogged cat and i said oh **** that cost me big time and i said DOH!:salute:
p.s i even put brand new exhaust work after cat i put flowmaster series 40 street.strip

hello
:mad:i change my upper intake gasket and o-rings gasket i follow and did everything this page told to and i change 3oxygen sensor full tune up new coil pack everything went find for one whole week i went with my girlfriend went perfect into one day bang the check light show up again i said what the #### could it be my girlfriend think cat all bad maybe be clogged cat and i said oh **** that cost me big time and i said DOH!:salute:
p.s i even put brand new exhaust work after cat i put flowmaster series 40 street.strip

Took me 5.5 hours, but I finally got the intake gaskets in my truck. (I would also like to not I did NOT have the intake studs as described earlier in this post)

so these are the new gaskets from Rockauto - $18 to my door
gaskets.jpg

I cleaned the intakes gaskets area and put in new gaskets and bolted it back together.

intakecrud.jpg

intake.jpg

oldlower.jpg

oldupper.jpg

At first I was getting a huge air leak and it would not stay running.

Then I cracked a t-fitting that seals air on the crankshaft ventilation
broken-1.jpg

can I replace these tubes with flexible ones? and the t-fitting, can I use one for rubber hoses or do i have to get a special one. If so, does anyone know if I can get this at auto parts store or is this ford only?

I should have bought a new screwdriver/nut driver in the beginning, instead of 3.5 hours into it. I had to walk to Target to get one, as I could not get the back part of the intake to seal correctly. I bought a screwdriver with a flexible extention. AWESOME

I can see why I was running bad. The new gaskets were visibly thicker than the old
oldversnew.jpg

newgaskets.jpg

So now a check engine light because of broken t-fitting. Instead of waiting 300 miles or so to come on, it came on in 5, so I know its because of t-fitting...but it runs smoother. Less stumbles

And my arms and hands hurt

EGR tube removal

I had the same P0171 and P0174 codes and this thread helped me to fix the problem. However, it appears that other members had the same issue I ran into which was the darn EGR tube. I could not get it to disconnect from the plenum. So I found it easier to remove the EGR tube with the plenum. Here are the pics on how to do this.

First you will need to remove the nut holding the oil dipstick. Here is the pic on the location of the nut.
EGR pipe - Oil Dipstick bolt.jpg

Once you remove the nut you will need to pull up on the tab to reveal another nut that is actually a bolt. Remove this bolt as well.

Now you need to disconnect the tube from the EGR valve. There are two nuts and bolts.

EGR valve bolts.jpg

Be careful not to loose the metal EGR gasket. Now you can just twist and turn the plenum and EGR tube around the wires and out where you can better manage to take out the EGR tube.

Hope this helps.

Also thanks to KaiserM715 for posting the repair pictures. I joined this site for $20 and so far I have saved $3700. Best twenty bucks I ever spent!!

:mad:i did the upper intake gasket even change the o-rings and put 3 new oxygens and put new egr valve and egr gasket and full tune up with double platiunm sparks plugs check 30 p.s.i fuel pressure the book is ok reset check engine light and next day drove to brooklyn n.y.c to see my cousin and i change maf and maf wires and put back stock air cleaner box went great for one whole week BANG CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WENT BACK ON i even change fuel filter and air filter and i #### it:mad:

Thanks for the compliments. Now I just need to get the engine bay cleaned up. It is pretty dirty (not very photogenic).

you think your engine bay is bad, my inner wheel well covers, flew out well 4x4ing one day, so all the mud and dirt flys in there, when i open the hood, everything is the same colour, it takes a min or so to find the dip stick ;)

Wow97,
What code are you getting?

I am about to replace the upper intake manifold gasket on my 96 Explorer Sport and have two questions. I have never had much luck with parts purchased from Auto Zone. My local Ford dealership wants to charge me $50 for just the gasket kit. Should I play it safe and buy Motorcraft, or save money and go to Auto Zone? Also, how do I reset the computer after I replace the gasket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced my upper intake manifold gaskets om my 1996 EDDY Bauer v6 but still had the Check engine light come on after driving to the gas station. Turns out it was a bad DPFE sensor. That little silver metal or black plastic box with the vacum lines and wires going to it. Replaced that and no more codes.

Back