How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

CDW ...................thanks thats the direction i was lean to but just wanted another look ....2 heads r better than 1 .....or with all these members 100's of heads are better than one ......thanks for the input i'll swicth that out and see where im at atleast ive got all these new parts on my front end now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many of us went through that before to end up at the front shaft. I did my LF CV axle and hub a month after buying mine, then the front shaft. Night,

ok so one last question ...... how hard is it to get the front shaft out of the TC ....as i found a forum on here that says its ok to run without it for a bit is there a good howto or is it just a few bolts and some beating ..... also where can i find some prices ...every serach i do brings up the shafts that go out to the wheels "axles"? i need front drive shaft from the TC ...........

6 bolts, 12mm heads iirc. all that holds it to the t-case.

and yes, it does appear to be safe for a short time.

My t-case has a few thousand miles on it without the front shaft. I believe the viscous coupling is seizing, but no final determination on it.

as for prices? get with ericautopart
he's a vendor here. I got a brand new OEM Ford shaft for around $300 I believe it was.

I believe he has a post in the vendor section.

here ya go: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235015

Used shafts used to be common to find for $50 on eBay. Now with their age being more, be careful about mileage. The bolts at the CV to TC take an 8mm socket and 6" extension or so. Those are no big deal, but take your time with the front u-joint bolts. Try to use a socket if possible, it is common to break a cheap Torx bit to do those.

just ordered another one *sigh*

do like stated and just replace both the same time. it will save you time in the long run

just ordered another one *sigh*

do like stated and just replace both the same time. it will save you time in the long run

I don't see how it will save time :scratch:
it's not like you'd have to pull something apart twice :dunno:

considering i have to get the jack and all the tools out, get all dirty again/shower, set up a heater in the garage etc, it would have saved time had i done them at the same time/day

considering i have to get the jack and all the tools out, get all dirty again/shower, set up a heater in the garage etc, it would have saved time had i done them at the same time/day

true.
I guess it all depends on your current garage/shop setup.

only takes me a min to get tools and the jack.
and I've worked on my truck outside in the snow in -15*.... don't need to heat! :D

6 bolts, 12mm heads iirc. all that holds it to the t-case.

and yes, it does appear to be safe for a short time.

Keep in mind that with the front axle removed on an AWD, the vehicle isn't "locked" when in park...and can creep on you. Be sure to use your parking brake.

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

Hi Mate,
many thabks for real good info.its excelent!
I just ask our Ford local dealer for the one bearing hub price U Know ! 1400 AED (389 USD ) I think I need to pull off the old bearing & press fit new bearing, though its not making noise yet.

Cheers & Regards

Matie

Hi Mate,
many thabks for real good info.its excelent!
I just ask our Ford local dealer for the one bearing hub price U Know ! 1400 AED (389 USD ) I think I need to pull off the old bearing & press fit new bearing, though its not making noise yet.

Cheers & Regards

Matie

The AWD/4WD hubs are not serviceable. They have to be replaced entirely. Source them from an online seller in the USA, they will be about $200 for the Ford part. Aftermarket hubs are not much over $115 on eBay or parts stores here. Regards,

I had bought one on ebay for one of my explorers for around 70 bucks at the local parts strores they had 2 different ones between $150 and $170, I would deffinetely look into getting one from an ebay store.

thank you for this article, ordered my new bearing yesterday, took the old one off today, it was easier than following the haynes manual.

very good instructions. thanks alot for this

am looking forward to getting my elbows greased up soon on my truck

this is gonna be fun!!!

nice write-up. just did that today, along with all the anti-seize because that thing was a ***** to get off.

damn. i just replaced this yesterday for $430 at the dealer. oh well.

I am replacing my front hub and I noticed that there is silocone around the old hub, should I put silocone around the new one? My manual doesn't mention it and I don't see it listed as a step here.

No, no sealant. There is a rubber dust boot that needs to be intact, check that. It mounts to the axle shaft, and is intended to almost touch the backside of the hub. It keeps too much dirt from reaching the inner bearing. If those are worn out or gone or heat deformed, they would be good to replace. They are however almost $20 each at Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$90 off ebay didnt seem to bad to me, especially with a limited lifetime warranty

Back