• Register Today It's free!

I do have an alarm!

RayLCC

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT AWD 5.0
I installed a toolbox in my Explorer and have it bolted to tapped plates under the floor for safety and easy removal when I want the space. (I'm gonna use the mounts to install a rear facing seat in the back when needed, but thats another issue.) Anyway, I had taken the tool box out and was bolting it back in the next day, (truck was off, keys in my pocket, back hatch open and all doors unlocked.) and the alarm went off. At first I thought it wasn't mine, then I couldn't figure out how to shut it off. I had to turn the engine on to shut it up. I then went back to bolting down the box, doing the same thing I was doing before and the alarm never went off again. My questions are:
What does the alarm actually do? and what sensors does it have to set it off? (motion, door opening, glass breakage) I've owned it for a few months and the alarm never went off before this.

not sure how your alarm works, but some alarms arm themselves even with doors open and unlocked after a certain amount of time....

Are you talking about an alarm from the factory? That is what it sounds like if you got it to turn off by turning the ignition key. Did you happen to have the keys in your pocket? Maybe the panic button on the key fob was accidentaly pressed.

alarm

Did you not think you had an alarm? I did the same thing with my 97. A couple things, was it a horn sound or a siren? Mine had both and both were stock. I never knew about until I lookde unnder the dash and found the motion sensor, fuse was bad. Look under the dash to the left side and strapped to the side, if its stock, is a black box, with a small white dial on the side to control sensitivity. You can adjust from there. With my alarm, it automatically set itself after all four dors shut. Even if the doors were unlocked, windows down, and the hatch up.

Back