• Register Today It's free!

I have a problem pulling codes.

teddybear111

Reaction score
City, State
arlington
Year, Model & Trim Level
tx
Have a 93 ford explorer 4x4 I did the jumper/paper clip method and it never gets past the clicking and the whin of the fuel pump.

Any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have a 93 ford explorer 4x4 I did the jumper/paper clip method and it never gets past the clicking and the whin of the fuel pump.

Any help would be great.

I think you need to be more specific and let us know what is going on. What is the problem you're having?

IIRc, when you put the ECM into self test it does do clicking etc while it does the tests, then the Check engine light will flash the codes (at least a 111 if things are working)..

But yes, I think we do need some more info..

~Mark

I think he's saying that nothing flashes...

Are you positive that your check engine light is not blown? Does it illuminate when you turn on the key when not testing?

I'm a little new at this as you can tell. So here goes for a second attempt to explain whats happening. I followed the directions to retrieve the codes or code as my light is on. The truck started ruff lopeing and when we tried to drive it the truck had hardly any pick up in speed.B but nursing the peddle we got the truck up to 65 on the freeway it still ran ruff but after about 30 miles the code went out and the truck ran fine. I delivered the copy system to a customer and we left. It ran fine till we stoped for lunch it dies pulling into a burger place. We ate went back out it started ran ruff again but having no choice we drove it back half way back it cleared up, code we out and from a stop it had proper excelliration. Fighting a bad flu 2 days passed went to drive it again back to the same loping ruff idling hard to start etc... Now back to the attempt to retrive the code/codes from the truck. Hope the history helps didnt mean to ramble on.
I looked up this site on goggle nice hit, and a good site by the way. I,m a tech so i under stand the retriving instructions. I first attempted to hook my digital meter to look at the storbling seemed easy enough. I hooked the jumper from the small gray square connector to the top second over pin out. I also hooked the meter to the bottom row second over pin out on of the triangle/ looks like 1/2 of a hexagon/stop sign connector to me. That was the pos. lead then hooked the neg lead to the battery neg post. Had my son turn the key to the start position not strating the truck. I heard the clicking and so forth with the fuel pump whining. And thats it we waited and waited 3 min 5 min 10 min. then reset everything same thing . What are we doing wrong? My son took all the jumpers off tried a few more time and gave up. He then tried to start the truck till we thought the battery was dead. I chared it and same thing cleaned battery and connectors same thing clicking. Took the battery to a shop had battery tested and they said it tested good, but under a load it might not work they couldnt tell. Gona swap it out on my son's tarus and see if its really dead. $77.00 plus $9.00 disposal fee and tax its pretty high. Any help would but great. thaks in advanced.
Rick G.

The only time I've seen that kind of behavior while using a voltmeter as the output device is when I didn't have a good connection for either meter lead. Make sure you have good contact.

It does sound like it is entering the self-test mode. Have you tried watching the CEL to see if it is flashing the codes?

If it is indeed dropping out of self-test mode before outputting codes, the next thing I'd be looking at would be wiring faults between the self-test connector and the PCM.

thx for the help and yes I have tried to read the codes from the cel with out using the meter.
But now I have a more presssing problem that is the 93 explorer just clicks when I try to start it. Battery has been tested and pulled to start my sons tarus. Post are clean and so are the terminals. It was at least starting and turning over before trying to read the codes. Any help for this would be appreciated.

Thanks inadvanced
Teddybear111

check the wires, battery cables go bad from the inside out too ,

thank you for the advice did check the cables. Good news is after taking off the battery and starter I had them both checked at Auto Zone and the starter for some reason while attempting to check the codes died! Replaced it and its back running but ruff so I'll atempt cheching the codes again. Ill keep a update to what I find, it might help someone at a later date.

Back