Introducing the first Explorer Sport QuadPod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Introducing the first Explorer Sport QuadPod

Devan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 BoostedXPLR Sport
Callsign
Devman
Hey guys i need somebody to give me an idea as to what kind of gauge i should put in the 4th slot of the custom pillar quad pod I fabricated. The bottom gauge is analog boost, the middle gauge is a methanol injection controller which also reads boost digitally and the third one up is air fuel ratio which will also double as fuel pressure when i install the module and sensor and also as u can see in the top right of my shots is a power programmer which datalogs pretty much every sensor on the vehicle but i just need some ideas as to what to fill that 4th hole with, thx guys

20170515_021535.jpg

20170515_021535.jpg

20170515_021826.jpg

20170515_021941.jpg

20170519_075256.jpg

20170519_075303.jpg

20170519_075308_1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as critical engine data I think those associated with detonation (boost & AFR) are the highest priority and next is oil pressure. As I recall the oil pressure switch for the low oil pressure warning activates when the pressure drops below 5 psi. In my opinion by then bearing damage may already have happened. Very nice installation!

As far as critical engine data I think those associated with detonation (boost & AFR) are the highest priority and next is oil pressure. As I recall the oil pressure switch for the low oil pressure warning activates when the pressure drops below 5 psi. In my opinion by then bearing damage may already have happened. Very nice installation!

Heyy StreetRod good to hear from ya. I would have to agree with you. I was also leaning towards an oil pressure readout. As far as the low oil pressure warning coming on when oil pressure drops below 5 psi i would have to check Ford PTS, lll get back to you on that. But on another topic i had posted on your profile asking if you had ever finished up that throttle cable bracket. Id like to build a similar intake. When i was doing my m90 install i was on your page alot lol. Sorry to go off topic of this thread. But this is what i have sofar

20170402_000410.jpg

Yes, I did complete my bracket.
View attachment 97308
But the silicon intake tube collapsed when I mashed the accelerator so I replaced it with a metal tube.
View attachment 97309

Wow look at that genius design, i dunno if ill be able to improve upon that but im gonna try and at least do something like that i remember in your thread you said which throttle cable you used, where did you get it from and do u have a part number? Also where did you get your throttle body and how big is the inlet? I too have been looking into getting a mustang gt throttle body and building an iac bypass

Where did u get that throttle body from

Im looking into the bbk 75mm gt throttle body because i hear the SR perf TB sticks and outta the box it doesnt close all the way so the cable linkage doesnt sit on the throttle set screw and you have to drill out the hole where the throttle cable end attaches to. Ive heard the bbk is all around a far superior product then the SR perf but if yours is an actual Ford prototype id love to get my hands on one of those.
( http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-75mm-throttlebody-96-04gt.html ) do u have a part number or engineering number for that throttle body. The thing is this truck is my daily and the only one of my cars thats legal or up and running right now so im kinda gonna have to build the intake little by little on the side till its finished and rdy to go on the truck.

From what I remember mine was a prototype that never went into even limited production. The one in the following link is cheap but I don't know anything about the quality. I think VMS Racing is just an importer/distributor. The only concern about a cheap throttle body is parts being sucked into the engine causing damage. The screws that attach the plate to the shaft could come loose or the shaft could break at its weakest point where the screws are. I think quality throttle bodies utilize stainless steel shafts. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMS-POLISHE...ash=item489537221f:g:umIAAOSwiDFYKj~8&vxp=mtr

Yeah that looks like the same design as the SR performance I think I'm going to go with the BBK that seems like a solid product

Im also looking at getting these injectors instead of the bosch ones
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3P8IF0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1ZXQ9SI885YQW&colid=FH4Q312USR72

And im also looking at getting this maf to go on a sct 90mm housing i have left over from my cobra without a maf sensor on it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQ8JL2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I36I3VKC0AID0R&colid=FH4Q312USR72
Or this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018...maf+sensor&dpPl=1&dpID=41uaLPSH5gL&ref=plSrch

Do you think ill be good with these or should i just shell out the bucks to get the official bosch and ford stuff so that the specs are what theyre suppose to be for tuning purposes?

I don't know anything about the quality of those injectors. The flow rate of 30 lb/hr should be adequate for a modest boost. I ran into numerous problems using Siemens Deka IV 60 lb/hr injectors and I didn't need that high of flow rate but they were recommended by my original tuner. The only reason I purchased them was due to their excellent specified accuracy at low flow rates. Make sure that the tuning parameters are available for the injectors you purchase. Are you doing your own tuning?

I don't know if you'll be able to obtain a MAF transfer function for that rebuilt Cardone MAF sensor unless you know the original part number. The MAF transfer function should be available for the F-150/Mustang 90 mm MAF sensor. The Amazon one does not include the housing. Do you have a 90 mm MAF sensor housing? Also, that one only has 4 electrical pins like mine because it doesn't have an integrated IAT sensor. With boost you'll be using a stand alone post boost IAT sensor so that won't be a problem.

Yes i have my own tuning software, i have advantage 3 for my explorer and delta force commando for my cobra but im still id say between entry level and novice at tuning. Ive been taking online course and reading manuals like the one by la sota racing. And reading your pages on tuning prolly helps more then that stuff because you get specific on each aspect of wat your doing.

But as far as the injectors and maf sensor are concerned your absolutly right i prolly wouldnt be able to get their tuning parameters such as injector breakpoint or maf transfer function. And i didnt even look hard enough to see that that was a 4 pin maf sensor instead of 6 even tho thats irrelevant cuz like u said that IAT sensor is post blower but then id have to get the 4 pin connector for it. Im gonna see if my parts dept can get me just the maf sensor w/o the housing although i doubt you can get it from Ford Parts w/o the housing. I have a 90mm metal SCT housing leftover from my cobra with no maf sensor on it which im gonna use.

My parts dept wants like 260 for the sensor by itself and its prolly cheaper if u buy it with the housing go figure. Ill grab one off ebay

Would u recomend those sieman deka 60 pounders or should i just go with some bosch 30s

Would u recomend those sieman deka 60 pounders or should i just go with some bosch 30s

No, I don't recommend the Deka 60s for your application. If they had 40s that would be good but they don't make anything less than 60s to my knowledge. What is your intended max boost?

I got the sieman deka 80s on my cobra and im pleased with those. And yea after i said that id have to find another connector for that 4 pin maf sensor we were talking about i realized that it was the same connector minus the leads for the iat cuz i guess it doesnt have one.

That ebay page u had posted with the lightning maf sensor with housing, i did come across that and i have it in my watch list although i dont see any ford emblems on it i dunno if its official ford parts although the font of the lettering of the part numbers and other writing would seem to indicate it may be a ford part.

Right now my boost is 4 pounds max but i was hoping to make maybe 7 pounds. I would really like to go to 9.5 to 10 pounds but my motor has 280000 miles on it. I would like to build a motor for it and throw a ported eaton m112 on it that i have. I have a couple m112s. Although i really wish i could throw a 4.6 DOHC in my 2 door sport and either run a compound boost setup lmfao or just a kenne bell. But i dont think itll fit based on your posts or threads that i have read. But im pretty sure a 4.6 sohc will fit in the 2 door sport correct? Although im sure most guys would just say go with the 302 but i would prefer the 289

i am guessing you took 2 duel pillar pods and made one of them. if that is how you did it, what did you use to cover the seam with. i did a triple in mine, but i didnt bodywork the seam.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5.0L is a 60 degree V8 while the 4.6L is a 90 degree V8. The 4.6L SOHC V8 is considerably wider than the 5.0L V8 which I know will fit in the 2000 and earlier 2nd generation Sport without a lot of cutting. I know that your 2001 Sport is different than my 2000 Sport but I don't know if any 4.6L will easily fit in your vehicle.

Do you have a manual or automatic transmission? If an automatic, is it the 5R55E or the 5R55S/W? If you run high boost with the 5R55E you'll probably be frequently rebuilding the transmission.

Is your goal measured peak horsepower or max acceleration? Mine was just street driving decent acceleration with a 4,000 lb vehicle. One disadvantage with any of the Roots blowers is high IATs that require retarding spark advance from optimum performance to reduce detonation risk. One advantage is decent boost at low to mid engine speeds.

Back