KKM AIR INTAKE KIT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KKM AIR INTAKE KIT

J

JASONESQUIVEL

I JUST BOUGHT THE KKM KIT FOR A 1998 4.0L SHOC.

I AM WAITING FOR IT TO BE SHIPPED.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW IT WORKS? I LIKE TO OFF ROAD IN THE MOUNTAINS, (BIG BEAR). I ALSO TOW A 20 FOOT BOAT UP THE HILL.

WILL IT WORK GOOD IN THE THIN AIR?
DOES IT HELP ON GAS?
HOW ABOUT THE HP GAIN?, MABIE 3 TO 5 HORSES?

[This message has been edited by JASONESQUIVEL (edited 04-15-99).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put the kkm kit on my 93 navajo, It's very simple to install, just pull off your airfilter box and attach the new filter, They send step-by-step instructions. The performance gain are immediately noticable by way of smoother acceleration and faster throttle response. I usually get about 20mpg with the oem air filter, now I get about 21-22, but I rev it up much more now.
Good luck and let everyone know what you think

Just got back from my first mountain run with the KKM kit. It works great. It was easier going uphill than ever before. Letting more air in with the KKM can only help in the already thin air.

I haven't checked my fuel mileage.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

I just installed the kit on my 98 4.0 OHV last night. Install took all of 30 minutes, which included locating and repacking my 128 piece socket set that fell off the truck while I was putting the kit on. Immediate improvement in throttle response and horsepower. I would guess 7-10hp. Great sound too.I haven't been able to verify mileage yet but the guage does not seem to be dropping as fast. I would recommend this mod without hesitation.

So it sounds like it's pretty easy to install the KKM Kit. Is it just as simple to remove it and put the oem filter back on my '91?

I am asking because I plan on moving back to California in the summer. I read from some of the post on this board that it may not be emission's legal because of the change. If so, I just plan on simply switching filters during a smog check. Besides the extra hp, it will also help to get the extra mileage since I will be making the journey from WA State to SoCal this summer.

Thank you for any advice or reply.
Ron

Ron - as long as you keep all the parts it would be super simple to reinstall the original airbox. You shouldn't even have to remove all the extra parts, just leave everything but the airbox itself in place. On my 91 I pulled EVERYTHING that was related to the original airbox out and capped the vacuum lines at the manifold rather than have them ran across the engine compartment. All that took as much time as installing the filter, which was about a 15 minute job. Just be careful not to over tighten the bolts going into the MAF adapter! I had to get a longer bolt and nut as I stripped one of the holes out...
Too much cooler in the working Dead Link Removed. Or should that be - 1 to many Buds(weiser) helping me out?

------------------
Danny
91EB
www.hit.net/~danny/explorer.html

I plan to install a kit in my 96 EB V8. Also want to find a good catback system.

I also believe it's a constitutional right to consume beer while doing shadetree mechanicing (sp) Dead Link Removed

------------------
Don't Worry about things you can control...
Don't Worry about things you cannot control

Back