Looking for 4th Gen. Purchasing Tips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for 4th Gen. Purchasing Tips

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Ford Mustang GT
I am in the market to purchase my first Explorer, and have really fallen for the 4th generation style.

I have been (ideally) looking for a 4.6L Limited, < 100,000 miles, with black leather interior and the right price. While a few of these have popped up over the last couple months, most of the low-mileage examples I have found aren't exactly from the same mold (I have heard the mid-west market is slim with black interiors, for one).

I am currently considering a 2007 (late '06 build) 4.6L Eddie Bauer Ex., with 90,000 miles, and fitted with the EB Luxury Package. The price seems right, but I'm not certain if there are typical issues to be aware of with these early 4th gens.? I have heard, being a cross-over year, the 2006 builds can be problematic, but am not certain whether an '07 in this condition would present a better buy.

Thank for any advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The big issue is the two piece spark plugs breaking off when trying to remove. If the one you're looking at hasn't had the plugs changed it could be an issue. More of a hassle than a show stopper. There's a bunch of tools and videos on how to remove and possible prevent the from breaking. Here's the Technical Service Bulletin on it: http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_tsb_08-7-6.pdf

From my research a lot of issues were fixed by 2008 and 2009 is a good year pretty much. Finding one that low millage is all but impossible up hear. Unless it used for shopping only barely driven. V8 4.6L is definitely at better engine as well a better match to the Explorer weight as well as size.

Thanks for the TSB, Mountain_Dewd! I am familiar with the spark plugs and exhaust manifolds as problems re: things that break off in your engine. Never good to hear. lol. One I looked at last week did NOT have the plugs done (seems about $160 for plugs in my area, and some inevitable cursing), but an exhaust manifold had been replaced. The one I am currently considering has already had both jobs done.

tripplec, I had heard the '08-'09s were really the pick of the bunch, and that makes sense. The mileage certainly separates the wheat from the chaff on Autotrader and such fairly quickly. I am almost exclusively looking toward purchasing a 4.6L, having driven a couple.

Good, so you're not a Mushroom then, (In the dark). Informed its best. LOL

Mine is 06, built August 2005. Best car I ever owned. Yes, I spend time doing the fixes and maintenance, but it's got 242 k miles and it's running strong.
At 100k miles I went thru the nightmare with the sparkplugs, and the manifolds as well.
Numerous bearings and stabilizer links - that's given.
I have 2 of them, 06 v8 and 07 v6. v6 is nice, does the job but get v8 :)

Good, so you're not a Mushroom then, (In the dark). Informed its best. LOL
Definitely. On that note, I am hearing bearing noise from the rear, and know I will have to replace within the next 10k. Haven't heard as much re: stabilizer links. What's the story there?

As Packard used to say, "Ask the man who owns one." If he says V-8, it's a V-8 you need! lol. My brother owns a 3rd gen., and I've never been terribly impressed with the 4.0L's ability there.

The front stabilizer bar end links tend to break every 75k miles or so. Very simple to replace, about $ 10 per side. The rears hold for much longer, I guess because they are not subject to all the turning and twisting of suspension. For the bearings, front or rear, use only OEM Motorcraft (which are really Timken).

Makes sense, and seems reasonable. I had just never heard of them being an issue, and will take a closer look. Thanks for the heads-up!

They'll get spotted on a safety check anyway. But they do fail on all vehicles but never heard them breaking right off. Wow thats some riding!!

I purchased an 08 4.6L V8 Limited with about 120k back in September. So far it's been quite the experience to say the least (to read up on my story - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...shudder-maybe-torque-converter-clutch.372634/ my experience begins somewhere around the end of page 2).

If I had a do over I would most definitely look out for an RPM surge as my number 1 thing to look out for. The spark plug issue isn't too bad (I touch base on it in the link above as well). The other major thing is the manifold problem. Make sure the manifold issue will pass your areas emission tests for sure. If it wont, you'll be in a very very pricy fix (I think it's anywhere from a $1,000-$2,000 fix for a shop). If you're use to older types of vehicles where everything is mechanical, be prepared to experience the wonderful world of all things electronic.

I'd say that if I didn't have this RPM surge problem, my love for this vehicle would be 100%. The 4.6L is the perfect match for the vehicles weight and I wouldn't go with anything less. The MPG sucks ass, but what do you expect in this heavy SUV? Plus the 4.6L sounds wonderful at WOT. My biggest gripe about this vehicle (besides the RPM surge) is the inability to turn off the 4x4. I apparently didn't spend enough time researching this when purchasing. I saw the 4 high/low/auto buttons and thought it was fully manual operation, but 4x4 is on at all times. Even when conditions are not present for 4x4 to be on, some power is still diverted to the front. The Microsoft SYNC also sucks in my opinion, but I think that can be remedied with an aftermarket headunit.

Black interior is a must. I had a previous Ford (Mercury) vehicle with tan leather, never again. Eventually the grime really works its way into the texture in the leather (took about 10 years and 100K miles, but... yeah) making it a huge pain to keep clean.

Just my 2 cents.

Heh Potato, I believe you should have new heads on that engine (not sure of the cut over date), also the new plugs one piece style. Do you know the build date of your ride. I think thats something needed better clarity when it took place. 2007 would be SOL on it but 2008 should be the start of a number of improvements to the V8.

Yeah I been following that surge issue. finding it seems tough. Good luck

EDIT: In looking for build change info (not yet found). I came across this reliability ratings and there is a huge difference between the 2008 & 2009. Click on the year as see the ratings change dramatically. No explanation here as to what/why though.
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ford/explorer/2009/reliability

Found out the 2008 had a 4x4 selectable system but not true disconnect of the front diff (still driving it)
- 2009 has AWD and it always on & always driving and maybe but not sure some LSD ability
- 2010 changed again where its front are offline and some sort of control but unclear on implementation of it.

Oddly enough 2009 appears to peak with the best ratings as 2010 it drops again. Hmmm I guess we lucked in a bit on getting the 2009 even though 2008 does not seem too different but some interior options differences

I don't have the exact build date for this (I think I can find it in the door jamb I believe... but I'm not running out there right this second :)), but the last 5 digits of my vin is 26633, which I think would be somewhere around mid year production. Butttttt I'm not sure how many of these 08s were produced. I'm taking a wild guess but I'm thinking somewhere around 40-50,000?

Well do you have the new head, plugs etc or don't know yet.

I don't believe so. My understanding was that the COPs have a brown boot after the switch and mine are black boots, indicating the older design. Not sure if this is accurate or not.

Thanks for all the information, folks! Really glad to see so many responses.

Read up on your RPM surge issue, PotatoExplorer, and good luck! lol. Wow. I will certainly keep a look-out for an irregularly-driving examples. Does this issue only apply to the 6R60 transmissions, and were these the only trans. mated with the 4.6L from '06-'10?

Oddly enough, I did notice a difference in badging between the '08 and earlier models and '09 and later models... the '07 I look was badged a "4x4," whereas the '09 I looked at was badged an "AWD." I figured it was nothing more than the timing of Ford's switch to alternative verbiage.

So, (1) what I am hearing is there was never a selectable 4x4 system (i.e., similar to that on a Bronco) ever installed on a 4th gen., and (2) the construction of the 4.6L in '08 and '09 was arguably better. There may be threads on this already (apologies if so), but what exactly is the change between '06-'07 heads and '08 and later heads?

The spark plug holes on 08/09 and up models are a little wider preventing the sparkplug extensions from fusing with the cylinder heads. See the cutaway how close the spark plug extension is to the walls.

Over time, the carbon builds up there and "welds" the plug to the wall. When you start removing it, the bottom part stays in the head.

I watched that video and another one on the same topic using a plastic tube in a Triton engine. It wasn't clear (to me) how that tool is grabbing a plug thats broke as in the last part. Anyway what and were the exact change is in the new head was not available. The NGK plugs looked different to those as well, open end ground & not looped like the oem.

Still learning here

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I didn't quite understand that last part either. It looked like the tool was using the top part of the plug to pull out the bottom portion... but if the top part is still there...

Back