M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

O ps..weldcraft sent a email and said the rims should be done is 3 more weeks..both rims i sent passed there testing.looking at $500+shipping+new boxes...and again idk how im gonna pay for this either

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ranger

How is everything going?

How is everything going?

Pretty much at a stand still..haven't heard from the machine shop that the gaskets are done yet and haven't heard from Weldcraft either. .

Still broke as crap but work is picking back up finally,we are months behind..BUTTTTTT my baby is due in 27 days so i seriously doubt im going to have time to build a motor and do a motor/trans swap before the baby gets here..im sure as hell gonna try IF it gets done but doubt it will..which sad to say that it probably will be put off till mid summer when the baby is ""older""..

Truck has been running good though since i put the new O2s in, no issues other than start up..im going to email my tuner and see if i can bring the chip back down and have him blindly add fuel at start up and throw some more timing at wot.this tune was based off my 93 tune so it doesnt have barley any timing for running E50...hes still book for next 2 months for dyno tunes:mad:

Ranger

Well, good luck with everything! You definitely have you hands full!

Super happy for you JD!! Fatherhood is amazing!! You and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers!!

And thanks for info with Morana related questions.

Super happy for you JD!! Fatherhood is amazing!! You and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers!!

And thanks for info with Morana related questions.

Thank you and no problem

Weldcraft just called.wheels are done and shipping out, $565 later..ouch

Got my rims..they look good..cant decide if i want to touch the black up or plastic dip the black gunmetal. .cant get the new tires mounted for a little bit but hopefully they clear..of not probably some 1" spacers.

Finally got ahold of my tuner..he is going to add 15% more fuel at start up and 3* at WOT...3* doesnt sound like alot,is it going to even make a difference? ??he doesnt want to go crazy till we get it on the dyno..he said i should be able to add a butt load being im IC and E50 but still concerned at the MAF curve and AF..my AF have looked good everywhere tho..

So why 3*??seems very low to me,is he just doing that to make me happy for the time being or is 3* more than i think??

20160607_191524_zpsmywc6cc3.jpg

20160607_191829_zpsjmlyfffj.jpg

Ooooo and i had my baby friday(6/3/16) at 5:05 ..he weighed 9 Lbs even and 20.75" long.named Westley Hunter ....wwwwooooohhhhooo

Congratulations on Westly! Healthy I'm sure. A little jd junior to follow in your foot steps.

Depending what the timing is set at now, yes you will get a substantial extra pull. I'm betting for the tuner to say this he can see immediately that there is much more advancing to be done without going in to the danger detonation zone.

Congratulations on Westly! Healthy I'm sure. A little jd junior to follow in your foot steps.

Depending what the timing is set at now, yes you will get a substantial extra pull. I'm betting for the tuner to say this he can see immediately that there is much more advancing to be done without going in to the danger detonation zone.
Got my tunes.we talked alot about tuning and timing. .he said he copied my timing tables from last tune,did this for both E50 and the 93 tune..he said i wouldnt run full boost on the 93 tune unless i see the same IAT as i did with 10 Lbs..said on E50 go crazy,its safe..

The old and new tunes has 15* at wot but 10*@3,000..he said his program shows stock had i believe 33* and he took 18* outa it,giving me 15*..also asked about IAT and how much it pulls,it pulls 6* at 220*

Believe the next couple post we talked about this..i believe the 15* was at 5,000 wot and 10* at 3,000 ...i dont know the loads or any more than that,ill ask tomorrow. .

And thanks about the baby!! Got me some free labor years from now when he gets be enough! !! Haaha

I've read quite a bit about timing curves.
It sounds like a good thing that timing is retarded at maximum torque and then advanced as rpm's increase.

With the 302 windsor, some of the experienced guys say that this is what keeps blocks from splitting down the middle. You don't have to worry about this (I hope), but its good information just the same.

I followed this with both Tim and myself's tune and there still seems to be no shortage of power.

Well got the tune done and about to install it..he added 3* to make 18* at wot..he said to run it nice and hot and do a couple pulls back to back with fresh plugs and listen for any detonation. .he said to come back and we can add another 3* of i dont hear anything. .i think ill leave it be for now

we also talked about iat and timing pulled..he said at 130* it pulled 3*,at 150* it pulled 5* and at 180* it pulled 8* and at 220* it pulled 10*...

We changed it to where it wont pull any timing till 160* and it pulls 1*,then at 180* it pulls 5* and at 220* it pulls 10*...said with E50 it will handle those changes fines..

Time for test drive

Well adjustments made a HUGE difference ..it now starts right up without any problem. .the 15% fuel at start up fixed it..

Also the 3*timing and the IAT changes made a HUGE HUGE difference ..1st&2nd is worthless but 3rd is SICKING fast..didnt spray at all,didnt have much time..

One thing i forgot to say about what we talked about the IAT timing thing and my IAT was..im seeing slightly higher before and after temps after long drives because i haven't built a isolation box around my filter yet and also dont have my headers wrapped yet in this truck.i see on a ambient of about 87* outside,i see about 115* before charger and up to 158* after during a hot WOT pull...

He said the reason it felt like it wasnt pulling hard like im use to was because it was pulling 5*timing out at 150* so basically i was running 10* of timing during a WOT pull previously,now im running a full 18*timing till 160* so really i gained 8*timing with his adjustment this time..

He also said the reason i felt the 35 shot of nitrous so much was because it was lowering my IAT and not removing the 5*timing at 150* so not only was i gaining power from the nitrous it was keeping that 5* of timing in it..

The guy that made your tune made it super safe. Im amazed at how much timing gets pulled as things heat up. I pull a max or 3 degree's. I'll have to re-visit my iat temp strategy in my tune. Great to hear this guy is that good at tuning. Awesome.

I think 17 degree's total should be super safe also with intercooling and e85 for gas. I can't remember your compression on this motor though.

The guy that made your tune made it super safe. Im amazed at how much timing gets pulled as things heat up. I pull a max or 3 degree's. I'll have to re-visit my iat temp strategy in my tune. Great to hear this guy is that good at tuning. Awesome.

I think 17 degree's total should be safe also.
Its running 18* now(in tuner lingo)..lol but yea still seems safe to me..like he said he doesnt want to go crazy and then me drop a new motor in and break it in with a crazy tune that might not be that good for break in..hes going to go crazy once i get the truck in there with new motor

I thought you said yours pulled 3* at 150* and additional 3* at 190* making 6* out?thats not much less than what my 93 tune was pulling..i never got any detonation in my old truck with that tune and he even said it was on safe side,but i also never really got above 150* IATs

I need to revisit my iat thing. I'll be reporting back. Its getting hot here again, and its another detail I better be sure of.

I need to revisit my iat thing. I'll be reporting back. Its getting hot here again, and its another detail I better be sure of.
Let me know what temps your seeing now in boost also,im curious. You ever get tha IC hooked up or been to busy with that motor??

ic is hooked up.
I'm interpreting some data wrong, or something is odd.
With the inter cooler on and running I was seeing very poor results.
Now, with my iat sensor in my lower intake manifold air temps are higher under normal driving, but as soon as I go wot temps dive to well below what I ever saw before. Its strange since both iat sensors are after the intercooler.
The iat sensor in my lower intake is a motorcraft, but the resistance is wrong at low temps (70 degree's). The temps seem to come in to line as they rise though. I'll have to do more testing. Here's a link to the tuning portion of my build as I try to figure this out. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/tuning-my-347-with-rear-mount-turbo.440389/

ic is hooked up.
I'm interpreting some data wrong, or something is odd.
With the inter cooler on and running I was seeing very poor results.
Now, with my iat sensor in my lower intake manifold air temps are higher under normal driving, but as soon as I go wot temps dive to well below what I ever saw before. Its strange since both iat sensors are after the intercooler.
The iat sensor in my lower intake is a motorcraft, but the resistance is wrong at low temps (70 degree's). The temps seem to come in to line as they rise though. I'll have to do more testing. Here's a link to the tuning portion of my build as I try to figure this out. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/tuning-my-347-with-rear-mount-turbo.440389/
Hmm odd.thanks for the link,definitely gonna follow and try to learn something. Lol

Back