Show's '90 Ranger James Duff 5.5" lift | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Show's '90 Ranger James Duff 5.5" lift

Finnally got most of my parts for my Ranger. Just started the lift in the back. Still waiting for a few more things to start the front (i.e. D35 to get back from the shop, Warn manual hubs). Also on the list of waiting parts is a B&M shifter, trans cooler, 4.3 Atlas II. But enough of my chatter; bring on the pics!

Attachments

• DSC00320.JPG
    DSC00320.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,617
  • DSC00321.JPG
    DSC00321.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,644
  • DSC00325.JPG
    DSC00325.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 2,610

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NICE !!!!!!! now i wanna chop my explorer top off like a ranger and get it going...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i;ll see ya at the pit this sunday man.

You bet! Just got the truck back from the alignment shop tonite, and tomorrow morning it heads down to Everett for much needed exhaust. Then all thats left is to wire up the ARB and Viair switches.

90ranajo said:
You bet! Just got the truck back from the alignment shop tonite, and tomorrow morning it heads down to Everett for much needed exhaust. Then all thats left is to wire up the ARB and Viair switches.

Again, no credit to the guy doing the work :mad: What about the gas tank skid plate? Should we just wait to see which rock I start towing your a$$? :confused: I'm going to sick Misty on you :eek: She already knows the new door to the baby's room is waiting on you :eek: (In the words of Kelso, "BUUUUURRRRRN" :D ROTHFLMAO :D
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Whoa, this thing came out awesome man. Excellent work.

good wirk guys it looks great now pray for a boat delay and get o MOAB!

offroader_69_me said:
good wirk guys it looks great now pray for a boat delay and get o MOAB!
I hear that!

ARB switch wired, air tank and compressor plummed. Today is the gas tank skid plate, adjust the mushy brakes, and install the missing axle retaining washer. She'll be loaded on the trailer tonight and ready to be hauled to her first offroad run :D

Boy, I had no idea how much work went into that beat up little ranger until I read this..! I thought I'd be nice and post some pictures of Bob & his rig for those who didn't make it to Moab ;)

How to break a towhook:
DSCN0339_Small_.jpg

DSCN0235_Small_.jpg

DSCN0184_Small_.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0367 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0367 (Small).JPG
    29 KB · Views: 1,172
  • DSCN0382 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0382 (Small).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,448
  • DSCN0389 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0389 (Small).JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,214

was this the maiden voyage? that hill looks to be pretty steep..ummm hummh

like we didnt see that coming froma mile away. Funniest part about his little ordeal on the side, s that the arb compressor kicked in...that was a good laugh. Cool thing about it was that show took it like a champ. :thumbsup:

updates ?

Probably gonna have to wait til Bob gets back from the sandpit on the other side of the pond...

Edit: I take that back.. just read his location, lol. You have to wait til he gets back from the land of bad water :D

hahaha

JS91X said:
updates ?

There won't be any updates for awhile. Its pretty much done until I get back from Iraq. I do have some changes planned though.

hey is this thread dead? hope you made it back o.k.. i've got the duff 3" stage three and wondered what you thought about the spring rate compared to the skyjackers?

hey is this thread dead? hope you made it back o.k.. i've got the duff 3" stage three and wondered what you thought about the spring rate compared to the skyjackers?

Yeah, its pretty much dead. Been back for about a year now. I've never used the Skyjacker springs, but I think the Duff springs are a little too stiff for my taste. I need to find some new springs as mine have sagged ~2.5" now.

I was just on the James Duff site and they still don't list the 5.5" suspension lift.

I was always disappointed that all they offered was a 3" suspension...I wonder why you have to "ask" about the 5.5" and why they don't list it online?

By the way, what motor are you running?

I don't think they ever update their website. I'm running the 4.0L.

i think we got our kits about the same time,i'm running the 2wd b2 coils for a true 3"s with the 4.0 longbed.

wow that sucks you are down to the same lift as me.the duff coils(except the 2.5"ers) do seem to fatigue fast. on mine(the 3.5" coils) the coil wasn't supported right at the bottom and the outer coil sags lower than the lower seat on compression and bends the coil after a while so it bows out.the coil loops aren't as tight as the stock or 2.5" coils
skyjackers would last better but are a little stiffer i think.

where can i find more info on your truck?current projects? your link just shows pics.

for some reason i thought it was a shortbed truck ,but when i saw the 5.5" duff kit i followed your link. i've always liked it so i thought-cool its like mine-bobbed,4.0 swap

Back