Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Mad Max - Galaxie Tow Rig

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by Suicide77, June 11, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Birdy

Birdy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Richland Hills, Texas
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 5.0 XLT, 96 4.0 ohv
      REALLY looking forward to seeing this thing, really hope you make the deadline!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Suicide77

Suicide77 Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Salt Lake City, Utah
      1993 Explorer
      Me too Birdy!!! It seems like every move I make something is stacked against me, but come hell or high water I'm going to do my best to make it happen!

Here is how this weekend started:

[​IMG]

Loaded up the whole truck with motor parts! Probably the most weight I've had stacked in the back of the truck ever. The mission was to get the motor together with the help of my step Grandpa Dave! I know how to spell 'motor' and that is about it, but Dave has rebuilt more than most people in a couple lifetimes - it was great having him as a life line on this project!

[​IMG]

Once I made it down the highway to his house, we went ahead and unloaded/organized all the parts. Then came prep! We went ahead and taped up the block and heads and a few other parts then headed to the parts store for some paint.

[​IMG]

After a little deliberation and himming/hawing finally decided a bright shade of Ford Blue with Grey and Black would make for a sharp looking motor! So we got to work

[​IMG]

I can't tell you how great it was to finally put paint on a block that has been sitting in the house for over a year! Still smiling as I type this :) That night, Friday night, I Dave let me borrow a little sump pump bin and degreaser so I could clean off the remaining grimy parts ei. timing cover and misc brackets/pullys.

[​IMG]

The next morning, yesterday, we got started assembling and checking clearances. Our first little snag was this good size dent the machine shop put in a piston on the oil ring groove, ugh!

[​IMG]

After carefully filing off the mushroomed out aluminum I was able to fully dress the first piston so we could get started checking ring gap clearances and piston skirt clearances. It's a really good looking piston :D

[​IMG]

After feeling good about the clearances and machine work on the block we went ahead and got the main bearings out of the package to throw onto the block and get the crank in.

[​IMG]

Upon attempting to install one, it became evident the machine shop gave me the wrong bearings! The box was old and dilapidated but the bearings were still in packaging. I think at some point in its life on the shelf they must have fallen out of the box and someone loaded 460 bearings back in! :censored: Called everyone and their dog in the valley and could not locate a set in the state of Utah on Saturday. Finally gave in and called summit racing and got a set ordered from Nevada on rush. Should show up Tuesday.

[​IMG]

So now at a stand still we turned our attention to Dave's Jeep and started mounting a winch on his bumper and a bit later went ahead and cleaned any remaining hardware so we will have our ducks in a row on Tuesday night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well we'll see what happens and how it goes, but man we are so close!!! Stay tuned! :D

Last edited: April 17, 2016
    4. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      There is so much awesomeness in this build thread....I can't even.....no words...

Gosh I hope you get this thing done for Moab....heck if you needed a hand, I'd skip Moab and come out just to help on this project!!

Well, not really..... :D

5. Suicide77

City, State:
      Salt Lake City, Utah
      1993 Explorer
      Hahaha! You're the man 5spdman, I wouldn't miss Moab either!

6. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      I do what I can lol...

How's the engine comin along?

7. Suicide77

City, State:
      Salt Lake City, Utah
      1993 Explorer
      Quick update, the Main Bearings finally arrived! And they were the correct ones *whew* After work I headed over to Dave's and we went to town checking the clearances on the crank.

[​IMG]

After everything checked out we slapped the cam in, dropped the crank in, bolted the mains down, and the crank spun like a top! Getting all the pistons oiled up and put in was way more of a PITA than I imagined, it took forever but we finally got them in.

[​IMG]

We got all the pistons in and everything moved smoothly which was quite shocking considering how dang heavy everything is! I forgot to take a picture of the top side, that'll come tomorrow!

8. Suicide77

City, State:
      Salt Lake City, Utah
      1993 Explorer
      I'm too dang tired to type and photo bucket isn't cooperating this evening, but just got done working on the motor for the evening. So so close! Can't wait to update yall tomorrow when I get a break :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: April 22, 2016
    9. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      The whole project really looks good!

Nice to see someone bring "An Oldie" back from the dead.

10. USMCBuckWild

USMCBuckWild Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Camp LeJeune, NC
      2007 XLT
      Keep up the good work

11. Suicide77

City, State:
      Salt Lake City, Utah
      1993 Explorer
      Alright, so to finally update last night's action here is what went down - I started by snagging a shot of those piston's I promised :)

[​IMG]

From there we got started with the heads and timing chain

[​IMG]

Then we went ahead and put the timing chain cover, a few pulleys, and got the intake gasket prepped.

[​IMG]

Also put the oil pump on.

[​IMG]

Then we went ahead and finally put that heavy intake manifold on! Think weighs at least 100 lbs... and a few more pulleys got added on as well.

[​IMG]

Flipped the motor over (oh my good gravy it is SOOOO HEAVY!). Put on the oil pan, fuel pump, and oil filter adapter.

[​IMG]

Then added the valve covers and put the distributor on to hold the oil pump drive shaft in.

[​IMG]

At this point it was basically midnight, and we called it a night. Working on it day in and out is the only way to get this bad boy down to Moab

[​IMG]

Now, what got done this night.....?

Well, got off work and went straight to working on the motor. Polished off the last of the accessories!

[​IMG]

Then we wrestled the transmission on the back. Got very lucky, only took 5 min!

[​IMG]

Then BAM! We slugged that motor right into the chassis! Went on without any major heart aches, worked out well

[​IMG]

Hooked up the exhaust for the ride home. Boy is it a good feeling to have this coffee table of a motor finally back in the frame! Especially when it turned out so much better than I was expecting!

[​IMG]

And of course, had to get a shot just before the trip home. Captain America gave it all it had, but left quite a bit to be desired. Looking forward to having the vehicle positions switched :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: April 23, 2016
    12. chefduane

chefduane Texas Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plano, TX.
      None: SOLD 9/16
      Checking out your running posts and updates is better than watching an episode of "Overhaulin!" Brings me back to when my dad did his '55 Fairlane Vic. I really like this thread!

13. Birdy

Birdy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Richland Hills, Texas
      1997 5.0 XLT, 96 4.0 ohv
      What kind of compression you going to have with that setup?

14. USMCBuckWild

City, State:
      Camp LeJeune, NC
      2007 XLT
      Surprised you kept stock intake. FE intakes can be had pretty cheap and almost any aftermarket is a big improvement over the stock. Regardless, those 390s are stout. We swapped one from a 69 Cougar into my buddy's 79 F-350. That thing was an ANIMAL! Could never stall it, it just plugged right along. That motor had over 100k on it before we swapped it and went well over another 100k in a hard used work truck.

Glad you spent the time to build it properly and not half-azz it. Before you go much further I would strongly suggest you look long and hard at swapping the manual brake master for powerbrakes, especially since its a tow rig.

15. Suicide77

City, State:
      Salt Lake City, Utah
      1993 Explorer
      Thanks man!

To be completely honest I have no idea, but boy do the pistons come close at top dead center! I think there is only .020 - .030 of clearance!

Primary reason is expense, but the secondary reason is it has been impossible to find headers that don't need modification to fit this setup. I want to do a better intake (shoot, maybe even dual carbs???) but I can't tackle the exhaust end of things and still make the Moab deadline :hammer:

Also, forgot to add a picture of how the second hand tires look on the back half of the car :)

[​IMG]

16. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      Is that prep for paint I see there?!? :D looking good man!

17. Suicide77

City, State:
      Salt Lake City, Utah
      1993 Explorer
      Have more updates, but at the moment only one that matters:

[​IMG]

Broke the yoke that goes into the FMX transmission doing U-joints just now. !@#$ If anyone anywhere has any good intel on where to pick up another one help would be greatly appreciated!

1967 Ford Galaxie 500
      390 ci - 6.4 Liter
      MX transmission
      Yoke takes a 3 5/8 by 1 1/16 U-joint, 31 spline, 6" barrel length

Last edited: April 29, 2016
    18. USMCBuckWild

City, State:
      Camp LeJeune, NC
      2007 XLT
      http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shop/1967-Ford-Galaxie-500-Driveshaft-Slip-Yokes/30.html

You should be able to find a very similiar one at a junkyard. 31 spline Ford is pretty common. The depth of the slip joint and outside diameter of the barrel are most important. There are "adapter" u-joints that change sizes. To be honest, I don't think that is the original slip yoke. They usually had a vibration damper on the yome to help reduce driveline fatigue. If that yome broke that easily, how strong is the rest of the driveshaft assembly?

I know $$$ is tight, but a new driveshaft isn't that much.

19. Birdy

Birdy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Richland Hills, Texas
      1997 5.0 XLT, 96 4.0 ohv
      That's some luck there! How often does that happen.

20. Paul

Paul Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Tacoma, Washington
      '91 Sport
      And just how many Hi-Lift jacks do you own ? ? ?

21. USMCBuckWild

City, State:
      Camp LeJeune, NC
      2007 XLT

You can never have too many.... I have 3 around the house and I don't even off road or farm anymore.

22. Suicide77

City, State:
      Salt Lake City, Utah
      1993 Explorer
      Thanks for the heads up BuckWild! If I end up getting the right shaft dimensions from a similar one I may just snag it and get a U-joint to fit!

So here is what I've got/found so far. The MX transmission is a short lived transmission with a yoke that is close to hens teeth to track down. I haven't heard any definitive answer on whether an FMX yoke will work or not, but have gotten in contact with Russ Owens who is willing to measure a spare he has tomorrow which will hopefully give me a direction to go on that front.

The other lead is a gentleman by the name of Scott Kurel in Minnesota who from the text message pictures I received may actually have one!

The last shot I've got is just cutting off the 'yoke' end of the part, trueing up the end of it on a lathe, machining a new yoke, pressing them together, then welding them solid. Come Hell or high water I'm going to find a way :D

[​IMG]

In other news my cousin's came over and gave me a hand getting the front end seated back on. I need to fine tune it to make the bodylines match and shim it to a good fit, but should be able to move on to the electrical and radiator at some point tomorrow!

[​IMG]

23. USMCBuckWild

City, State:
      Camp LeJeune, NC
      2007 XLT
      Sounds good! Those grumpy old timers have some serious parts hanging around. Hell, I'm not even old and I still have all sorts of parts.

I know I went through a couple driveshafts in the Duster and upgraded everytime. Ended up with a custom built driveshaft with 1350 joints. It was pretty resonable to be honest, shaft, 2 u joints and slip yoke was $300. I already had a hardened yoke on the rear.

Good luck!

24. Suicide77

City, State:
      Salt Lake City, Utah
      1993 Explorer
      Quick update! Front end is on and aligned finally!

[​IMG]

Radiator out of a 428 1969 Galaxie is in

[​IMG]

Tried to get the motor started Sunday just to see what would happen. Went to prime the motor with oil before putting on the distributor, ended up dropping the dang oil pump drive shaft into the oil pan :( Had to drain the oil, undo the motor mounts, lift it up about 2 inches, take off the oil pan, and fished the shaft out of the oil pan.

[​IMG]

After getting that all put together and priming the engine with oil we found out we had a bad distributor UGHH!!! Here is a picture of the oil pump drive shaft after I fanangled it back in to position

[​IMG]

So it turned into a bust, but did get a lot of stuff hooked up like the transmission lines, speedo cable, radiator, & linkages. On the flip side, tonight Super Swampers for the front are on

[​IMG]

I have a shit load of stuff that went wrong to make right still. I leave in 12 days. HOLY SMOKES!

Here is the oh crap list:
      -Distributor
      -Fuel line to carb
      -Thermostat housing
      -Alternator bracket
      -Broken Trans Yoke!
      -Ignition switch
      -Ignition cylinder

25. Suicide77

City, State:
      Salt Lake City, Utah
      1993 Explorer
      Well I can check off the fuel line. I made that last post around midnight and decided I needed to check at least one more thing off tonight/this morning. What a pain in the neck trying to bend that large gauge steel line! I kinked it and had to start over twice! Here is a shot of one of the more challenging spots to navigate the line (has to dodge where the power steering pump goes).

[​IMG]

And here is a little bit of an over view shot of the green line snaking around the front there.

[​IMG]

Till tomorrow (or later today??)!

26. USMCBuckWild

City, State:
      Camp LeJeune, NC
      2007 XLT
      I don't envy you be ding that line! Looks pretty good though! Why not just clip the fuel line off just above the pump and run a piece of rubber fuel hose to the carb? Much easier than all that bending, better heat soak protection and easier to replace in a pinch.