• Register Today It's free!

Moderate Tire Upgrade - Help ??

ug08

Reaction score
City, State
SE PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0
I am fortunate to have just purchased from my parents their pristine 2002 Explorer XLT 4.0. Gold with leather, 100% stock. They bought it new, used it very gently, and only ever put 92K miles on it.

My teenage son (new driver) and I are planning to use it as a bit of a "light overlanding" vehicle for various adventures, hunting/fishing trips into the mountains, and more specifically for driving on the beach during striper fishing season. All that said, it will still spend 95% of it's time being driven around town or on the highway, often times by my son.

It currently has stock size 235/70R16 tires - Uniroyal Laredos that are were manufactured in 2009. Plenty of tread left, just passed inspection. Another tire guy inspected them for me and said if they were on his personal vehicle he'd keep driving on them. However, I'm leary of potential problems with 9 year old tires and would like to upgrade to something a little beefier, especially that I could air-down for driving on sand at the beach. By the same token don't want to risk stressing suspension, rubbing, poor road handling, compromised safety, sidewall punctures, etc. I'm willing to pay a fair bit for the best mix, especially since my son will be driving the Ex a lot in his first two years on the road.

So, my questions are:

1) Would you recommend getting rid of the 9 year old Uniroyal Laredos despite them appearing to be in fine condition with lots of tread left?

2) Given what I've outlined, what tire models and size would you recommend for all year use mostly on pavement, light off road, and on sandy beaches?

Thanks in advance!

After considering some on-road/off-roads like BF Goodrich KO2's I finally came to my senses and went with Michelin Defender M/S in 245/75R16. 1 size up in both dimensions. I got the passenger version, not the light truck. They are noticeably larger in diameter than the original 235/70R16's and fill the wheel well nicely. They will serve us very well for the 95% of the time we are on the highway and do just fine on sand, gravel/dirt roads, and the odd double track we may come across.

No surprise, but happy to report no rubbing and very stable and quiet on the road.

Back