Motorcraft Filter Interchange | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcraft Filter Interchange

RickOTR

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4X4
Does anyone know if there is a difference between a Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter vs FL-400s filter. I've been doing a lot of research and people say the FL-400S is a much better filter. It's getting almost impossible to find a FL-1A but there are a lot of FL-400S filters out there. I have the 4.0L SOHC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a TON of filter research, and I like Baldwin filters. If you open the hood of a big-rig, you will most likely find a Baldwin. The crossover from the Motorcraft FL-1A is the Baldwin B2.

But... I actually run a Baldwin BT251 instead. Why? It's the same filter, but about 2" longer. In my '94 Explorer, the extra length actually makes it easier to change, and the extra oil capacity (about 1/2 quart) helps cooling. The extra media in the filter is a happy bonus. It would be overkill to a lot of people, but it's the best commonly available filter out there. Now, you may not have the clearance on your newer Explorer, I don't know, then I'd stay with the B2. The B2 is sold on Amazon for $8.00. The BT251, around $11.

Reactions: ~X~

the new filter has metric threads the old fl-1a has uss threads.
roscoe
ps my sohc has the metric thread

^ You're mistaking the standard thread FL-1A vs. metric FL-820S (22mm). FL-1A and FL-400S are both 3/4-16.

Just an update... I now use a Fleetguard LF3487 oil filter. Started having problem with the new Motorcraft FL-1A filter leaking around the gasket. Ford states they are now made in Mexico. I guess that says it all...

The 400 is a much smaller filter used on for example Ford 3L Vulcan engine (Taurus).

I thought the 400s was for straight 6 applications?

Could well be. Fits Vulcan too.

Back