mounting roof rack (searched for months) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mounting roof rack (searched for months)

KJL

Reaction score
City, State
TURLOCK, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 4.0 4x4. 00 4.0 2x4
At the risk of being flamed im going to ask finally cause ive been searching for months now and noting is coming up. I am pretty sure it has been asked before but im just not finding it. Maybe Im just not using the right verbiage. Ive even looked at Cherokee and jeep forums.

I dont have a factory roof rack and have been planning on building a roof rack for a spare 31-33 mudder camping and hunting gear and of course a deer or two. My problem has been figuring out how to mount it without any factory hardware up there. My main worry Is of course leaks. Factory roof parts are plentiful at the local pick n pulls but from what I read they are not very strong. Ive looked into the aftermarket mounts but I cant see spending that much for mounts... and I dont like the idea of clamping on the edge of the doors.

Any input and pictures/links from everyone on here would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump. Started thinking about how to mount a roof rack again and still havent found anything helpful

make feet for them from steel get a roll of gasket material from the auto parts store

cut the gasket to the size of your feet then cut some more steel for an inner and drill holes and bolt threw if ya can try to go threw a support make sure to hit any bare metal with some paint

like this kinda

bitcav.jpg

A decent/easy way to secure the rack to your roof if you don't have the stock rails is to use "well nuts"...You would fab up your rack (or just mounts for an existing rack), then drill the holes in your roof, drop in the well nut and tighten down the bolts into the roof. The well nut works kind of like a molley, sandwiching the roof sheetmetal as you tighten it. The flanged rubber top will seal the rain out. Should be available at your local Lowes or fastener store. Just make sure the hole is deburred with no sharp edges or the sharp metal will slice the rubber wellnuts eventually. Easy enough to replace them tho. If you are lazy/feeling lucky you can just decide where you want the mounts and go to town drilling your roof, but probably a safer bet to drop the headliner to pick the best spot to drill and have the mounts (aka not right on a structural rib on the stock sheetmetal framework where the roof meets the walls)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#well-nuts/=p0s0m1

WellNuts.png

Tr4TUQsi5s2PfsPIK3fohtDLh3styGOAEIoiKh_CUVcfY-5hht.png

Just as an FYI the stock rack is rated for 150 or 160lbs. Track system should be rated for even more. 3 kayaks will make the factory bars bend a little but that's it

A decent/easy way to secure the rack to your roof if you don't have the stock rails is to use "well nuts"...You would fab up your rack (or just mounts for an existing rack), then drill the holes in your roof, drop in the well nut and tighten down the bolts into the roof. The well nut works kind of like a molley, sandwiching the roof sheetmetal as you tighten it. The flanged rubber top will seal the rain out. Should be available at your local Lowes or fastener store. Just make sure the hole is deburred with no sharp edges or the sharp metal will slice the rubber wellnuts eventually. Easy enough to replace them tho. If you are lazy/feeling lucky you can just decide where you want the mounts and go to town drilling your roof, but probably a safer bet to drop the headliner to pick the best spot to drill and have the mounts (aka not right on a structural rib on the stock sheetmetal framework where the roof meets the walls)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#well-nuts/=p0s0m1

WellNuts.png

Tr4TUQsi5s2PfsPIK3fohtDLh3styGOAEIoiKh_CUVcfY-5hht.png

really just quoting this so I can reference these wellnuts easier. Great idea

Back