my diy 4.0 ohv turbo build | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my diy 4.0 ohv turbo build

I flipped the driver side manifold so i can run a pipe under the bellhousing to Y with the outlet of the drivers side manifold there is where the turbo will be placed. Plan is low boost no more than 5 psi on a draw thru design with the recurculating bypass.
FORD40.jpg

i had built a temp down pipe to get the truck around during the build
ford403.jpg

runs good no leak from the manifold and today i pulled a garret T3 out of the wrecking yard for a few bucks
GARRETTT3.jpg

I have some digital photos for better quality ill download those when i get a chance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol, that's why I took the hitch and ball off of mine. It became "what are you talking about Dad? i never had a hitch...."

lol I tried that, only I just took the ball off the bumper, and would you believe when my dad asked me about it I told him" ball? oh it fell off in the road, then he made me drive him to walmart and he bought another one. That very same day he took me with him to haul a bunch of scrap to the junk yard(trailer loaded, ford explorer rattling, and his foot.....to the floor):(

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

well if its tuned right with a turbo he wouldnt have to bury his foot into the pedal. I know my exploder had no balls before the turbo i had to keep downshifting to climb hills. the 4.0 ohv has some torque but its not a stump puller. the turbo has fixed that problem. the response is instant there is no such thing as turbo lag

true, but I don't like the fact that he drives the truck hard as hell and brakes(sometimes with his foot on the gas pedal) causing that jerking brake stops. But the main thing that pissed me off about him driving it was that I only got to change the brakes twice.....once when they broke in half and started dragginb but stayed in place, and two when the cailiber froze up and started eating the brakes, but enough of my sad story.

hey are you gonna rebuild your engine again with stronger parts and then go for more boost?

Sooner or later that X will just blow up from the harsh driving conditions...

Go extreme, take the bumper off
"Dad, I don't know what happened... really... the bumper was just dissappearing... I think it was those damn aliens"

Turbo Cat, I'm with you on the turbo, I'm hoping for a engine buildup shortly, and then a Turbo is going in. My neighbor across the street is hooking me up with some welding/piping in exchange for me mowing his lawn the upcoming Summer. Even trade I'd say, lol

theres no need to build up the internals the bottom end is mostly forged from factory. Its just getting new heads (ones that woulnt crack and a 2 year waranty) and new treated pushrods and hardened rockers. I dont need to push it beyond 15psi i just need to upgrade the fuel system and ecu to support the 15psi. at 15psi the trucks really comes alive however i cant even lay my foot down hard when i adjust it to 15psi becasue the 15psi comes on so fast it will detonate due to the stock oem ecu and relatively stock fuel system

just a little update for the heck of it. i ran a diagnostic at the shop i work at now wit ha very handy equiptment. The only code that poped up was 41-"O2 reading system lean" which may have something to do with the fact that the O2 is the only sensor unplugged (still hadnt extended the O2 wires yet)
Then while viewing the live data w/out load....No miss fires, Tps voltage is reading .84 at idle and 4.6 at WOT. With the O2 unplugged the O2 status was system running rich? Pulse width measured 1.8-2.1 at idle. Timing was arond 18-20* at idle and about 27-30* around 3-3500rpm w/out load. I forgot to check MAF voltage. So however everything will change under load/boost. The plan is still to convert to MSII for full adjustibility opf timing and fuel trim

quick question, do you have pictures of your recirculating blow off valve or a diagram. Also can you explain to me why you would need to recirculate it.

im not reculculating it. vented to atmoshpre after the maf. It runs well this was because i have the bov adjusted to stay closed at idle and only open on purge

hmm ok, I will keep that in mind when ever I attempt a remote turbo setup. Also have you gotten any dyno run with your current setup to see how much power your putting down to the wheels

no dyno time maybe someday ive been trying to get my turbo car done

dam it sounds good in that video, a v6 explorer with some v8 sound:D......umm does your MPH gauge not work any more??:eek:

no lol that ios a V8 thats my turbocharged 4.6L 2V

yeh I realized it wasn't a v6 after I watched the video twice:D.......ither way it sounds good

How much shipped too 19465? Haha, i can only dream. Nice build

quick question what parts on the 4.0s bottom end are forged. guessing rods and crank. also where can i get some forged pistons for this thing and strong wrist pins hell even just stronger wrist pins would be nice. also who sells heads for these things and where would be a good place to decent headgasket for them. i had a problem with my turbo lebaron popping the h/g i had to switch to the mopar performance one. have nbo clue where to get one for the ford tho

the crank and rods are forged i belive the pistons are hyperutectic. however ive yet to break a piston even with my first stock motor that blew the hgs and cracked the heads due to severe detonation yet the pistons were fine. As for aftermarket hgs i havent looked for what sites have what however i do know there are copper HGs for the ohv. Kingcylinderhead.com is where you can find new heads fully assembled for 400$ a pair

cylinder heads

are those aftermarket cylinderheads or beafier stock ones. and i have a 93 wich i heard something about having the better flowing of heads for the 1st gens. also yeah man if you blew that much of the headgasket and stuff those pistons got to be atleast standard cast pistons. i guess i can always call venolia wiseco je and other companies and see how much it would cost per piston

the pistons never broke only the heads and hgs blew and it was do to detonation. Ive had mild tip in detonation when i was running 15+ psi at low revs hard load and the pistons held together with no signs of breakage. They can build you pistons however very costly morana motorsports i thing has 4.3L stroker forged kits for the 4.0 and aftermarket heads but they cost more than there worth in my opinion. you can forge pistons all you want but there not a weak link in my eyes. The HGs are as well as the heads. The oem heads crack and need to be replaced by either an new casting or worked heads(NEW). Im more worried about finding ways to dial in the fuel and timing on my truck. If i dial in the fuel and timing to safe limits i may be able to see 15 psi alot with no issues.

took me 2 hours to get this far and i didnt even have to crawl under the truck
DSC00334.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

even 5 psi may push the limits of the duty cycle of the stock oem injectors ever setup is different. tuning is going to be the biggest battle. Turbos are more unpredictable than blowers due to the fact that they respond to load, heat and exhaust velocity rather than rpms. Most likely i will just drop in the 255 also that is the plan anyway

Have you figured out the tuning yet?

Back