Neons | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Neons

I want to put Blue Neons under my '92. I have a few questions....

How many do I need? I was thinking 2. Is there a particular place they go?

Is there a common place to put switches in the 91-94s? Where do the wires go, and how do I put in the switches?

Lastly, what kind should I buy?

MATT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go with the 9 inch tubes from Streetglow. I have two under my dash and they light up as if they were 15 in tubes. They are small and can fit on the lip that is right under the dash. I stuffed the wires anc control kit under the dash and I ran the cigarette plug through the back of the ash try and I plug it in when i want to use it.

Originally posted by 4Wheelin
Go with the 9 inch tubes from Streetglow. I have two under my dash and they light up as if they were 15 in tubes. They are small and can fit on the lip that is right under the dash. I stuffed the wires anc control kit under the dash and I ran the cigarette plug through the back of the ash try and I plug it in when i want to use it.

I want to put them UNDER the truck. Blue ones to glow at night that I can switch on and off. Do you still recommend the Streetglow tubes?

MATT

Oh Ok, Yea I would still go with Streetglow, IMO they make the highest quality neons on the market. My friend had a kit under his Mustang and it was 4 pieces, two on each side and one under the front bumper and one under the rear bumper. darkfox1 has a kit under his Mountaineer, you might want to contact him about it.

I keep hearin about this kit. Is this what I should get?

Can you tell me the name of the Streetglow kit?

Matt

hey fitzmatt where in sc are you? you are really local i work just of 101 and bowers/grt amer prky

San Tomas and El Camino! Yeah we are really close, where do you work?

switches

i have found a good place to mount switches. on mine i mounted a pair of small black rocker swiitches in the plastic piece that covers the dash under the steering column. kinda hard to explain but if i had a digital camera or scanner i could just show you a pic. all ya do is cut a small square hole to mount the switch in and run the wires from behind the dash. it looks really clean, everyone who has ridden in my car has thouhgt it came factory with the switches(one friend was somewhat dissappointed when he got an explorer and it didnt have any switches)

Tac0meat, cool idea for the switches. I know the place you're talking about. What are the black rocker switches? What did you use to cut the hole in the plastic?

tac0meat - I was looking at your profile, How did you get the conical K&N to work?

Oh Ok, Yea I would still go with Streetglow, IMO they make the highest quality neons on the market. My friend had a kit under his Mustang and it was 4 pieces, two on each side and one under the front bumper and one under the rear bumper. darkfox1 has a kit under his Mountaineer, you might want to contact him about it.

What is this Streetglow kit called?

I dont know what to look for when I go to the site, there are so many frickin lights!!

What is this Streetglow kit called?

I dont know what to look for when I go to the site, there are so many frickin lights!!

Jc Whitney was selling the underground kit for $129 about 3 weeks ago when i went to their retail outlet in lasalle, il. for wiring though you should wire it up to the klennex holder. take apart the center console and run the wires under there. It will look very professional. use wall plates to mount the switches (buy at radioshack or electronics store).

fitzmatt-i just got some generic switches from pepboys, kinda like these:
Dead Link Removed

the have lighted ones available also, but just run to pepboys or somethin and look in their switches section and just find the ones you like. as far as the hole goes i cant remember the naem of the tool that i used but it looks like a small hacksaw. you just draw out the hole you need to cut, drill a small hole in it and you take the blade off the hacksawlookin tool and put it in the hole. the reattatch the blade and start cuttin.

4wheelin-i just went down to a ricer shop and showed the guys a sketch of the mass air sensor opening and told them what i wanted to do. they found a flange(i think it was for a nissan) that came real close. i bought the flange(15 bucks) and the filter(30 bucks). i did some drilling and cutting on the flange and the i made an plate out of lexan so the flange would make a better fit onto the MAF. i had a thread for it on hear but i am havin trouble with the search workin. IMO though it prolly would have been easier to just get either the kkm or the conical k&n kit (same price as kkm) there is a write up on the k&n hear:
http://www.4x4central.com/jackkn.html

Jas84,

I dont think I have a Kleenex holder in my '92. Any other good places for switches? Tac0meat's steering column idea sounds pretty tight!

Matt

Am I gonna have to worry about these lights under my car when I hit mud and/or trails??

How much can they handle? Or how easy are they to take off??

Matt

you should be ok with them becasue of your ground cldearance.. however, if you are really worried about them, you have a couple of options, one thing I thought about was getting something like chicken wire and running over them, it would look silly, but hsould be functional.. another thing oyu may wanna look at is incasing htem in a thick clear lexan pipe, the pipe may also help in spreading the light outward in a radial look too

I also heard something about a silicone coating? Know anything about that?

How much does the Lexan coating cost?

Also, with the chicken wire, little pebbles could still get in there, is that possible or are they pretty safe. If I go for mud, will the lights still be safe?

Matt

Lexon coating or silicone?

Is it just easier to take them off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not really sure.. but after this weekend, I may want to reconsider saying that the tubes would be fine w/o any protection.

Tihs weekend I was really bored so I cruised up to my old HS where thye are doing some construction, there was a path cut in the woods and it looked dry, so I drove into it.. turns out it went into a peice of property and then intoi a powerline maintanence road. I knew it came out on the other side, but didn't know where, so I kept driving.. it was much longer than I thought.

I was starting to freak out as we kept going, cos my car was freshly cleaned and there were sticks and other unknowns hitting parts under the body. Finally after I got to the end there was a huge muddy patch and then a very steep hill.. got a running start and made it heh. Tihs was my 1st experience of doing this sorta thing w/o getting stuck.. I'll probablly get called a wuss but hey, I'm not a big offroad fan, I just wanted to see what was up this road :p

I checked my neons when I got out.. I must say that any of those sticks or w/e that hit my underbody could have VERY easily hit a tube.. and hard enough to break it.

I guess the moral to my purposeless story is if you are gonna offroad wiht neons, get some protection over them, removing them would be a pain every time.

Back