new to offroading in a explorer

95offroadx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
i have a 91 explorer xlt 4dr 4x4 and i do go offroading every now and then. i want to have a more capable offroader, but i want to have a more powerful explorer what should i do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

p.s. im only 16 so i dont have a lot of money we will say i have $2000 to spend

I'd say lift it, put a locker in the rear axle, put larger tires on and add some skid plates. You should be able to come in under 2k for that if you do the work yourself.

like what kind of lift... i was thinkin of a 2" lift and 31" or 32" tires

Best bang for your buck would be to get a locker either front or rear or both.

If you plan on doing a lift kit and bigger tires and the whole deal i'd keep an eye on the boards for that stuff, you can get some good deals even if you have to piece it together.

You have been here long enough to know the basics.............

Power: you have the exhaust, so put an open element filter on it, and a chip
$300-$400

Lift: 3" body lift and 2" budget boost (f150 spacers and shackles and aal in back) Your truck being 13 years old at this point, is probably going to need both lift shackles and add-a-leafs in the back for a full 2" of lift.
$200

Wheels & Tires: Pick yourself up a set of reasonably priced 33x12.5s and some 15.8 (3.75bs) "steelies" (ie rockcrawlers).
$600-$700

Locker: Pick up a "lunchbox" locker for the rear diff
$300

Money Left Over: Spend the rest on saftey equipment, cb, first aid kit, tow straps, etc.

Boom, a $2000 plan. This plan is dependent upon having stock ring&pinion ratio that is capable of handling 33s. If not, regearing the font and back is gonna run you probably $1000+, so that would put a HUGE hurt on a $2000 plan.

i have a 3.73 gear ratio... will 33's work will with them?

95offroadx said:
i have a 3.73 gear ratio... will 33's work will with them?
You'd probably want at least 4.10

For now, and with a few engine mods as mentioned, 3.73s will work okay. Are you gonna beat the imports off the line? Nope. Will you end up with a nice looking rig, that is capable of mild offroading? Yep!!

i thought suspension lifts where better than body lifts?

but also more expensive

where can i find a 1" body lift?

this is what i think i want to get 2"skyjacker lift 2"body lift 32" kumho venture m/t tires 15x8" eagle alloys, kkm intake, bbk tb, hypertech chip................will that make my explorer more off road capable and not lose to much power?

Nope..... you didn't mention the most important mod that several already listed.

A locker.

And don't even think of getting a 1" body lift; you'll just end up doing it all over again when you realize you should have just gotten a 2" body lift in the first place. Click on "Gerald's Truck" in my sig line and read the second post, there's a lot of info in there.

first off dont get a body lift. if you gonna do something do it right. secondly before you get anything to make your truck faster or higher up (wich will make it more top heavy and more likely to roll) put in a roll cage or at least a roll bar. Explorers are not the safest vehicles our there. They have a tendency to roll and their structural integrity is not the greatest. I think the best mod to get would be a welder. get good with it and it will save you alot of money. then you can make your own skid plates, tube bumpers, guards, and roll bars or cage. also when it comes time to do suspension all you need to get is your shocks and springs....wheter it be coilovers or what not and you can make your own brackets and what not. get bigger tires when yours wear out. then when you get better and you want to invest more into it get lockers and diffs and a solid front axle if you want to crawl over stuff, and all the other off roading goddies.

2ndLifeExploder said:
first off dont get a body lift. if you gonna do something do it right. secondly before you get anything to make your truck faster or higher up (wich will make it more top heavy and more likely to roll) put in a roll cage or at least a roll bar. Explorers are not the safest vehicles our there. They have a tendency to roll and their structural integrity is not the greatest. I think the best mod to get would be a welder. get good with it and it will save you alot of money. then you can make your own skid plates, tube bumpers, guards, and roll bars or cage. also when it comes time to do suspension all you need to get is your shocks and springs....wheter it be coilovers or what not and you can make your own brackets and what not. get bigger tires when yours wear out. then when you get better and you want to invest more into it get lockers and diffs and a solid front axle if you want to crawl over stuff, and all the other off roading goddies.

Just ignore all that!!! Silly advice from someone who obviously has no experience with Explorers.

Wow, yeah, don't go buying a welder and start welding stuff. You need to know what you're doing when designing and building a cage or suspension. Explorer's are safe vehicles, if you start driving like a jackass you're going to have issues just like you with any other SUV or truck.

obviously alot of you are going to be biest towards explorers. i however am not. yes i drive one and i do like it as it is the nicest vehicle i can get for the price at this time but the fact is if you are 16 you are hardly experienced with driving let alone off road driving. i did not say to go and get a welder and make a cage. i said, and maybe should have been more clear with it, get a welder and get good with it. that means practice. i also forgot to mention a pipe bender as well. but you can get pre bent stuff online. but practice your weld and then try making a bumper. plan it out. dont rush. ask questions, use other bumpers as refferences. then once you make your bumpers make a roll bar or cage. now your vehicle is safer. so many people rush into things. they get a car and want to make it the fastest thing out there or want to off road it and dont know anything about off roading. they get a body lift cause its cheap. it raises the center of gravity and they end up rolling because they are un experienced. thats why i say again. make your car safe. off road with what you have and get experience. then when you get good and need more of a challange, make your vehicle more off road capeable. dont just jack it up so that you can try to take on anything in your way because you will end up wrecking your vehicle and possibly hurting yourslef. also i said fords arent the safest vehicles out ther...and they are not. they are built on the ranger chasis and are unstable. ford did not fix the problem because it was cheaper to use the ranger chasis then to make a unibody chasis. also roof structure requirements had not been updated in years and the integrity of the roof is not what it should be. roll over incidents in explorers have caused many serious injuries such as paralism and death. im just stating the facts. if you want to hop up your ride before before making it safe then by all means go ahead but dont come looking for sympathy when it rolls and is totaled and you are seriously injured. im not saying this is going to happen but it could.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, first off you're retarted. secondly don't go talking about things you don't know. Mostp eople on this bored wouldn't know what to do with a tubing bender and a welder. Most people just want to get the most bang for thier buck and do some wheeling. You're ignorance shows with your statement about bodylifts. Yes they do raise your COG needlessly but they're much more economical than a suspension lift. dropping 2Gs on a 2nd gen lift is stupid, you don't gain any ground clearance or articulation. Explorers and Rangers are safe vehicles. It's when you get stupid people behind the wheel do they become dangerous and that is true for any vehicle. 90% of people on this board will be fine with out a cage. A low speed roll over, offroad is not going to crush the roof down on them. And what "problems" are thier with the ranger chassis? is there some sort of major flaw? Do you have access to some sort of insider information that we don't know? Your "facts" are extremely skewed to one perspective. You forgot to mention the fact ALL the people who rolled explorers on the road where driving much to fast, thier tires were worn out and they overracted when thier tires blew. Hell Car and Driver did a test and tired to get an explorer to roll... and it didn't.. hrm..

Back