Nitrous 1994 Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitrous 1994 Explorer

About a month ago I got Nitrous on my 1994 Explorer and I've been waiting to try it out at the track. Wednesday was the first Test & Tune night at Bandimere Speedway. Currently spraying 50 HP with NGK TR6 spark plugs. After a couple runs the spark plugs looked great. Probably gonna try a 75 shot sometime soon. I gotta thank user [MENTION=91966]jd4242[/MENTION] for his help on getting the kit installed.

Up here at 5800 feet above sea level, cars run a lot slower. With only a KKM intake and Dynomax muffer my fastest run ever was 19.30 at 70 mph.

Here at the time slips
20160428_115846_001.jpg

Quite a big drop in ET and good MPH gain. This kit was definatly worth it whether it's racing or just messing around on the streets.

Video of me at Bandimere Speedway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF8yaVFDRQE

This is the kit i used: http://www.amazon.com/Nitrous-Express-20421-10-Proton-System/dp/B004706C0Q?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Pf-4tbpAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=BVXFR76Y48TZXKX4W7Z1&ref_=pd_aw_sim_sbs_263_2&ref_=redir_mobile_desktop#immersive-view_1456289394090

The setup:
10lb Bottle
20160325_111346.jpg

Fuel and Nitrous lines
20160325_111418.jpg

Solenoids
20160325_111437.jpg

Engage Switch Off/On
20160429_171751.jpg

Fire button
20160429_171829.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all your help! I'll be sure to keep you updated on everything.

One quick question about the underdrive crankshaft pulley, would i notice a difference in hp around town without the nitrous? I'm still giving it thoughts and whether i should get it or not. Where i'll be going to school next year is 2 hour drive away. I'll be making the drive a couple of times when i come back for Thanksgiving and Christmas so i thought the increased MPG would help.
Yea it helps all the time.it releases horsepower that is already there.ive never done a dyno before and after but the mpg definitely was noticeable. I did to many other mods at same time but many have said it pays for itself in no time,especially if you drive alot so ends up being a free mod .may take a year but free is free and hp gain is a plus..lol

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I just had a close(er) look at that spark plug. What are those specs on the porcelain about? It might just be gas additives, but please check out. I'm always so concerned about detonation, even the stuff you can't hear.
http://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/***-basics-reading-spark-plug***-3063102/

Maybe cut the threads back from the porcelain and confirm.
I had to zoom in to see them,using my phone to post.

The rest of plug looks pretty good i think for as many passes as he has and milage. .but seeing it in person may be different and im getting half blind now of days..

Nx says no timing is needed to be pulled up to a 75 but of course every motor is different and especially at his elevation..the ohv doesnt run much timing though. .

Maybe track days he might wanna throw a bottle of octane booster in to be safe.always better safe than sorry.lol

He could pull the octane bar for passes on the track if he went to a 100 shot but the timing it removes might not be worth the extra hp gained from going to bigger shot..

I think he should stay at a 75 and do some other little mods first..maybe even step up 2 numbers on the fuel jet for safty. .

New best ET. Round 1 of eliminations. I was on the brakes at the very end of the track and still broke out.

20160716_151907.jpg

New best ET. Round 1 of eliminations. I was on the brakes at the very end of the track and still broke out.

View attachment 91560
Nice.think you need to move down a class or dial..seems like your holding back now and its wanting to GO!! Only gonna get better and better! !

Love to see what that thing would run at sea level. .think stock is spose to run around a 18 at sea level and you was running "about" 2 seconds slower up there stock..with that id say we could subtract about that off current times and get a guess of what you'd run, high 13s...all a guess but that would be pretty damn fast for pretty stock truck with just nitrous. .

Nice.think you need to move down a class or dial..seems like your holding back now and its wanting to GO!! Only gonna get better and better! !

Love to see what that thing would run at sea level. .think stock is spose to run around a 18 at sea level and you was running "about" 2 seconds slower up there stock..with that id say we could subtract about that off current times and get a guess of what you'd run, high 13s...all a guess but that would be pretty damn fast for pretty stock truck with just nitrous. .

Yeah it would be really awesome to see what it would run both with and without nitrous. There is a dragstrip near where I'll be going to school next year and its about 3400 feet above sea level so hopefully I'll see 15s!

Currently at the track. First qualifying round got a new best ET. I'm on the right (B441)

20160805_170310.jpg

DANGG..nice!! See he red lighted,must have been intimidated!! Lol

Here's a video of a run the other night. Wasn't my best run by any means. It was much hotter that night and had not rained like last Friday during bracket racing. I'll post another video from that night later.

There any parts from a 4.0L mustang that would fit/be worth putting on an Explorer other than an underdrive crankshaft pulley? Interested because I found 2005 4.0 mustang being parted out near where I live.

There any parts from a 4.0L mustang that would fit/be worth putting on an Explorer other than an underdrive crankshaft pulley? Interested because I found 2005 4.0 mustang being parted out near where I live.
Thats a sohc.different motor

Got a question, if i would run the nitrous at 3400 feet in elevation (2000 feet lower than normal) would I have change anything such as disconnect the battery and let the computer relearn the change in altitude?

Got a question, if i would run the nitrous at 3400 feet in elevation (2000 feet lower than normal) would I have change anything such as disconnect the battery and let the computer relearn the change in altitude?
Shouldn't need to but wouldn't hirt.make sure to put some miles on it after first

Shouldn't need to but wouldn't hirt.make sure to put some miles on it after first
Thanks.
Thoughts on a 66mm BBK throttle body?
Hurst short throw shifter?

Thanks.
Thoughts on a 66mm BBK throttle body?
Hurst short throw shifter?
I honestly dont think the bbk is worth it,the tb just isnt a big restrictions on these motor..now if you found one used for good price then ,sure why not.

People love the Hurst, i almost bought one used.that mod is more of a ""feel" mod though, unless your really slacking on your shifting or needing the bushings replaced anyways.

I honestly dont think the bbk is worth it,the tb just isnt a big restrictions on these motor..now if you found one used for good price then ,sure why not.

People love the Hurst, i almost bought one used.that mod is more of a ""feel" mod though, unless your really slacking on your shifting or needing the bushings replaced anyways.
Reading on other forums and some say they notice a difference. If i can find a good deal on one I'll definatly get one.

On the shifter I just think that it would reduce the time I would be shifting ftom gear to gear

I know I'm starting to get into dangerous territory here, but could this motor handle a 100 shot? I won't be racing till next Spring so I have some time to do some work on it.

I know I'm starting to get into dangerous territory here, but could this motor handle a 100 shot? I won't be racing till next Spring so I have some time to do some work on it.
Ive seen then take a 125 but thats up there and definitely needs a tune..

I dont know about a 100,i think some timing should be pulled for that but hey,try it..if it knocks STOP spraying ASAP

Ive seen then take a 125 but thats up there and definitely needs a tune..

I dont know about a 100,i think some timing should be pulled for that but hey,try it..if it knocks STOP spraying ASAP
Yeah that sounds a little too risky. I want some more bolt ons added this winter, see what those do.
I wish you could chip the computer in these engines, or at least use some tuning program.

SCT Eliminator 4 Program switch chip. Will it work? Is it worth it if i got it for a lower price?

Back