OMG NOOOO!! can I drop my oil pan??? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OMG NOOOO!! can I drop my oil pan???

That's a shame it didn't hold. Good luck dropping the suspension. I'll have my fingers crossed for you :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Umm, how about another try with the cracked pan. If you remove all the old JB Weld, clean it real good, and try it again. I would try to use regular JB weld, filling the crack by pushing it into it as deep as I could. Smear a thin film on it a good ways around the crack, use a fiberglass body patch over that, another coat of JB weld over the patch material. Sand it down after it has cured, and paint it. This would take 10 mins to do. If it don't work, than you know what you have to do.

Another idea,
That steel putty epoxy can be used to push into the crack, than try the JB Weld method.

Just a thought Jon. What do you have to lose? If it holds, you have saved your self the hassle of lifting that engine.

Jon how do you plan to get the oil pan to clear the engine cradle???? remember the pan has to drop to clear the pickup tube, a good 8" or so...

If its possible to go from underneath I may be able to fix my 98 project without pulling the engine? I just dont see how??? even with the steering rack and front diff out of the way, the engine cradle is RIGHT THERE

No pics? :( Is it something that you could just have someone tig it in for you?

It was broken quit good, I really don't think a repair will hold. I think the crack goes above the drain plug also-in an area I can't access or see well, as the drip was coming from high up. I had gotten some jb weld on the threads of the quick drain, I said to myself, don;t waste time, if the fix holds, then clean the threads-
well, it didn't, and the wind is blowing. Oil was getting all over so, because I was pissed, I drilled a hole in the pan so the oil would drain out quicker. I couldn't get up there to clean the threads, rather, chose not to get covered with oil doing it. Yeah, I lost it for a minute. :rolleyes:

this pan is toast. :D cause that's how I roll baby--:cool:

I see a 4" gap now between the cradle and oil pan. Hopefully I can get the whole mess up a bit more by removing the bottom engine mount plate bolts?

Looks like you have no choice but to cut out the crossmember and throw a d44 in there. It'll save you a ton of headaches!

Looks like you have no choice but to cut out the crossmember and throw a d44 in there. It'll save you a ton of headaches!

Now you make it sound like I did this on purpose. :D

isnt that how we got here in the first place? a broken something or other on an old stock explorer 5.0L leads to a 347

If you can get the pan out of there without pulling the engine SHOW ME HOW so I can either start pulling me engine, or start pulling the front end, I do NOT want to do both :)

No x-member = 351 oil pan friendly. Just an FYI.

no x member = engine on the ground

I've sliced my oil pan before on rocks. Here is what I did and it lasted for over a year....then I totaled the car in a 4 car pileup.

Clean the oil pan very well and get some JB weld, the kind that takes longer to dry, and cover the crack! Works well.

Sorry to hear that it still leaks. It sounds like it just cannot be worked on well enough. I am leery of drilling on my pan, I need to add two oil taps, 4AN 90* fittings to get oil in and out. The pan is very fragile, bolting a fitting down onto it is touchy, I think Ultra Black will be my friend.

We are wishing for you Jon, I hope it will come out of there, Jamie is likely right about the pickup.

the stamped steel pan, 99+, may be a better option for drilling and adding fittings
stamped steel forgives ALOT more then these aluminum cast monstrosities

Yes I wanted to use that one, but they fit differently and take different bolts. My 98 has the steel pan and the oil level sensor, what happens if the sensor is not used?

nada my oil pan has the sensor and my 88 has the wire, its not hooked up, oil light is not lit
If I hook it up th eoil light comes on, go figure that one out! I have not been able to yet!
I drew maps of the wire on both trucks, I verified that grounding the wire = light comes on, and still I cant get it to work right, meaning with the wire hooked up and no oil in the engine = low oil light on.. wire hooked up and 5 quarts of oil in the pan = oil light on
disconnect the wire and light goes off??

so weird

as far as I can tell the 88 sensor and the 98 sensor are the SAME, low oil = grounds out, they are the same part number, I even put a 88 sensor into the 98 pan to try and make it work = it doesnt. I ran a whole new wire
too, still doesnt work! I cant figure that one out, but without the sensor hooked up my low oil light is not on, so I am good!

I know how much oil my truck has in it, I check it all the friggin time, and the first thing I look at when I start the truck is the oil pressure gage, BII has 42 psi at idle, cold, each and every time :)

the bolts are different because the stamped steel flage is like 1/8" thick the aluminum is like 3/8" thick

I had planned to leave it out and figure out how to stop any message, the message center likely is notified with that sensor.

simple low oil = grounds the wire

dont ground it = no message

same in my 88 too, or so I think! LOL I cant figure that one wire out, its been plauging me for years now, just hanging there, looking at me... and I am serious! its the one wire you can see because I left it out of the wrap till I figure it out!!

drives me nuts!

Maybe a different sensor? Vehicles shoudl trigger the light with removal of a ground. Maybe a bit more complex electronically, but at least if the wire comes loose, gets cut, etc, the light will come on, as opposed to it only coming on when the sensor grounds it.. If the wire pops off and your loose oil pressure, you'll never know till you spin a bearing..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ill know because my top end will start ticking and my oil pressure gage will drop too low

I tried both the 1988 and 98 sensors, both fit the pan and wire up the same
Neither work

many years explorer did not even have this sensor, instead they have an actual oil pressure gage!! the years with the dummy gage (or no gage like my 88) had this sensor and a light

its weird I tell you! Ill get around to it someday sooner then not... it will be easy to access soon, I am about to plasma the entire front of the truck off at the firewall :) MUAHAHAHAHHA after I fix my other 4 projects first and have a baby

Back