[photo diary] My 1994 explorer | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[photo diary] My 1994 explorer

and i was paying 5 bucks a can for some not so good paint lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mr Cribb has a point, try to stick with stock on those.. or go all out and get a screamin demon coil pack, new wires, new plugs and gap them to the max the SD allows....

I think I would go the SD route if I had a built up motor, just for ***** n giggles, which is the plan one day.

But for stock 17-21 year old explorers.... factory replacement is my recommendation. I pulled motorcraft wires off my truck at 195k miles... I thought to myself if these are factory from 1992, then ford makes some good ****. This is how I came to my answer, factory 18yr old wires... why not put new replacements on it.

Yeah My truck has 200 something thousand miles, How much are motorcraft plugs?

Yeah My truck has 200 something thousand miles, How much are motorcraft plugs?

Motorcraft copper plug is $2.39 x 6, the platinum plug is $5.09 x 6.

I'm pretty sure I put platinum's in mine.

Again Advance is the only place that I know of that sells these... the other places prob do, but as far as wires go I've only seen the wires at Advance.

On a side note I do most of my shopping with them (Advance), because I've had bad customer service from the other stores.

So today i finally got that dog leg COMPLETELY done, lol, I had already patched the side, but it also ate into the fenderwell, so i cut and welded in a piece, and then painted it flat black, so its done :D I also got my latch on the tailgate working perfectly! :rolleyes:

Well a bit of an update, Im going to Winston Salem on the 20th, Im gonna take my silver explorer, because i also am going to try to get a headliner, and maybe a limited grille :D
but most of all im going to get my transmission finally. I got my buddy going with be. They open at 8, and its 2 hrs away so were leaving here (Raleigh) at 6:30 so we will have a lot of time to pull what i need. Stay tuned. When i go there will be LOTS of pics!

Good stuff, I spent over $100 the time I went to that particular yard. I haven't been to the pull-a-part close to me (Nashville) yet, I keep goin to another similar yard just down the road from me.... ya know it's pretty bad when the guys at the counter ask "damn you're back again?!" That's when you know you've been there too much.

haha yep, who knows i might be driving around the parking lot on Christmas day, i cant drive it on the street because the tags are expired.

well im leavin here tomorrow to go get the parts for dexter, at 6:30 wish me luck!

Well got back home 2 hours ago.... I got my trans :D a limited grille, and a new tire for the drivers side! I also picked up a new floor jack and fluids for the tranny...

396359_2866370296905_1189221128_33255453_533859029_n.jpg

thats my buddy dakota in the pic...

379920_2866371616938_1189221128_33255455_110180024_n.jpg

that was the explorer we got the tranny from. I found the limited grill sitting on the engine bay of the limited...

It took us 2 hours to get the tranny sitting on the ground... Its only a matter of time now hehehehe...

did you get the extra warranty from pull a part on the trans?

yeah i did, I pulled the trans appart... needs clutches. bands were ok, and the valve body was ok too. Im not going to trade it out Because its not worth it to drive back and try to find another.

Well things aren't as they seem... I pulled the trans all the way down to the reverse band and.... The clutches are all good! The only thing i could find wrong, is that the front seal seems to be blown. I do have a front seal from my rebuild kit.. and i have od clutches to go in it as well... but as for the torque converter Idk. When i rotated it, it made a rattling noise... and i drained the tc and a lotta crap came out... But then again i dont trust the other tc either.

Well things aren't as they seem... I pulled the trans all the way down to the reverse band and.... The clutches are all good! The only thing i could find wrong, is that the front seal seems to be blown. I do have a front seal from my rebuild kit.. and i have od clutches to go in it as well... but as for the torque converter Idk. When i rotated it, it made a rattling noise... and i drained the tc and a lotta crap came out... But then again i dont trust the other tc either.

Well fortunately you have the experience tearing the trans apart, to know what to look for. How many miles did this one have? Or was it a 5 digit odometer? How much did you give for the trans?

As for the TC, that shouldn't be overly expensive to replace, but then again I could be wrong.

Well fortunately you have the experience tearing the trans apart, to know what to look for. How many miles did this one have? Or was it a 5 digit odometer? How much did you give for the trans?

As for the TC, that shouldn't be overly expensive to replace, but then again I could be wrong.
yeah i already have it ready to put back together... Just need to Clean the servos and change the front seal without removing the Pump... I paid 95 bucks for the tranny and the limited grille. The trans has the 30 day warranty too
I think the tc that came with it is fine... But im going to flush it out real good first

well just got done putting all the drums and what not in. The bellhousing is now on and bolted down. I also replaced the front seal.

I tested the servo's and the tcc lockup was bad. I have a brand new one to replace it with as well. Ill do that tomorrow. I only have so much patience with this thing per day.

386439_2884604192741_1189221128_33263754_997583151_n.jpg

new pan left the one that came on the trans right.

378759_2884602392696_1189221128_33263747_1910225383_n.jpg

So yeah, its all back together and ready to go back in, I replaced the vb solenoids, new modulator and new front seal, along with new od clutches.

The tc that came with it makes a clunkin noise, so im going to replace it, so there is no doubt my explorer will be fixed once again. It prolly wont be done till after christmas. but before january hopefully.

Well tonight i got my limited grille installed... man that thing is brittle, I also started the truck for the first time in a month or so. It started right up without hesitation. I think the stumbling is because i have a leak in the intake around the maf. Tomorrow im going to get a tranny filter and some gasket material and im going to fix a few things. torque converter is ordered and should be here around new years. Merry christmas everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TRannie filter is all installed. The transmission is ready to go back in whenever the torque converter gets here. I FINALLY fixed the stumbling issue. Theres a sensor on the side of the intake infront of the vacuum hookups. i had them in the wrong holes, and The sensor was dirtyyyyy so i cleaned it and switched it back. It runs like its brand new!. I also started to wax the truck... Its shiny :D

I have not gotten a confirmation on the tc being shipped. Hopefully i will get it tomorrow

380873_2902821568164_1189221128_33275268_2082190876_n.jpg

Back