Mr Cribb's 94 Extended cab Z71

mr cribb

US Army Retired
Reaction score
City, State
Naylor, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Z71, 89 stepside
I picked this up at the end of August 2015. I have been slowly building on it since. I previously had a 97 ex cab automatic Z71.

Details:

1994 (6/94 build date) Extended cab Z71 (true Z71 package with skid plates), NV3500 5 speed manual transmission . This is a work in progress for sure. I picked it up with 270k miles.

The "salesman" if you can call him that blew all kinds of bullsxxx and details that weren't even true at me in hopes I was a buyer. Truth of the matter is, I was a buyer anyway just for the 5 speed manual transmission. The claim was it had a crate motor installed 100k miles ago, yeah uh NO.... the numbers on the block don't lie dude... the SOB is all original.

Anyway I have run the numbers and a VIN check, it is an Oklahoma truck all its life, and had hardly any miles on it until 2002.

The interior is rough as all hell, but I have been making the exterior decent looking as I go.

All my parts and pieces are traded for or used parts, with the exception of what HAD to be new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures:

IMG_0110_zpsttq3h8th.jpg

UGLY GM paint problems:
IMG_0167_zpsn1eyhlm2.jpg

UGLY paint problems SOLVED
IMG_0172_zpst2y9yl4p.jpg

Upgraded to GMC grille shell and a billet insert. Upgraded lights.
IMG_0256_zpswahmnef5.jpg

Updated mirrors to the 95-98 style
IMG_0444_zps3ztukqaw.jpg

Wheels and tires
IMG_0445_zpshlv848qi.jpg

I have added fender flares from a one ton. I also had the windshield replaced as well. Updated the interior.

IMG_0539_zpsxbc4dkpc.jpg

OLD Interior:
IMG_0499_zpsisttitlr.jpg

IMG_0500_zps949umpyo.jpg

NEW interior:

It was blue, now it is black.
IMG_0495_zpsbtfl1ygj.jpg

IMG_0496_zpsdqbg3gc1.jpg

Bolted in place:
IMG_0502_zpsggyv1lq7.jpg

Sprayed back seat to match:
IMG_0501_zpsr5lvcs76.jpg

I am a truck driver. I cleaned out my old semi, that's the reason for the mess.

I really like your solution to the ugly paint job, looks great now!

It's a truck and I don't care if it's dirty or not.

Motor is next on the list. At 276k miles it's very tired.

"Paint" is duplicolor bedliner material. I might have $200 investment in "paint".

I'm in your camp. I painted mine with exterior house paint from Home Depot.

I'm in your camp. I painted mine with exterior house paint from Home Depot.

Nice. Funny thing is that the rustoleum brand is more like water than anything else. I stirred that stuff forever and it was garbage.

I found duplicolor brand at advance auto parts. I kinda prepped the areas and only had a spot or two peel. Next time I will take the palm sander and some 80 grit and get after it the right way.

I don't know how my work holds up to a car wash sprayer, I reckon I should try it, but would rather wait for warmer days.

I have done a few extra modifications to the exterior. I found a diesel bumper created brackets and mounted a set of fog lights in the holes. This look is copied from the 99-00 Tahoe Limited and Z71 models.

I changed the wheels to black steel soft 8's. It completed the exterior look.

I am tearing into the suspension and replacing factory original ball joints, shocks, steering linkage. Parts are here and hopefully being installed today.

I picked up my vortec heads from the machine shop yesterday, and now awaiting on them to build up a short block for me.

I have a short block in the works to be rebuilt. I found an engine guy near me that has built many dirt track motors. Highly regarded by the transmission guy I am using.

Here's a picture of the front bumper mods:
IMG_0670_zpsclpjtwxp.jpg

Motor was pulled and replaced. New one is easily double the power of the old one. Went from 10 to 14 MPG without a computer tune, lots more fun to drive.

Blew the old transmission up, it was original at 277,9xx miles, and the front input shaft bearing (5 speed manual transmission) had been growling for quite sometime. The new motor finished it off. I have a new transmission on order, and should be here in the next day or so.

Bringing it Moab? ? ?

Paul
'91 Sport

Nice wish.

My mistake, had you down for Moab this year from that "20th Anniversary" thread, but realized you hadn't posted on that thread in a while. . . Assume Moab is not happening for you this year.

Nice truck BTW, like the upgrades...

Paul
'91 Sport

My mistake, had you down for Moab this year from that "20th Anniversary" thread, but realized you hadn't posted on that thread in a while. . . Assume Moab is not happening for you this year.

Nice truck BTW, like the upgrades...

Paul
'91 Sport

I wanted to go, one road block after another has crept up and prevented attending. I'm more likely to attend Hot Springs AR in June.

The new transmission arrived earlier last month, I got it installed. Had to pull it back out because the new clutch I bought from rock auto was crap. I wound up buying a clutch from Autozone, and the transmission worked as it should.... well sort of...

Two weeks into my new transmission, I had to get a warranty replacement transmission. The 1/2 shift rail was junk. I am two weeks into my replacement transmission, and it is leaps and bounds better than the old one.

I did get the computer tuned, and wow what a difference. I have a rough estimate of around 330 horse according to the builder. I have no clue how accurate he is, but it is a hell of a lot better than the old motor.

A bunch of changes have happened to this truck since I last posted. Transmission (3rd one) is now a NV4500, cowl hood, conversion back to seal beam lights, paint, new grille, rebuilt transfer case. New brakes, ball joints, hub assembly.

old engine made it to 278k miles
IMG_0187_zpsdl4htsw1.jpg

new engine
IMG_0168_zps7nqd6bbz.jpg

painted green
IMG_1553%201_zpsbf2lib2d.jpg

headlight conversion
IMG_1697_zpsh1xmfasq.jpg

I now have a 14 bolt semi float rear axle with a powertrax locker. This gave me a 9.5 inch center as opposed to the 8.25 or 8.5 inch one. I now have 33 spline axles, 11 inch brakes and just a much better axle all the way around.

I also as of 1/25/17 now have a NV4500 transmission, and rebuilt transfer case. I now have a light duty 3/4 ton (because I have 6 lug axles).
I mentioned in an earlier post that my new engine was about 330 horsepower, I was wrong because it is about 360hp and 375tq. Builder was thinking about another engine he had recently built.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lots more happened since my last post. I wrecked the truck on February 21st, and settled with the insurance company yesterday (4/4/17). My truck cremated a ford focus.

Enjoy the pics:
IMG_2195_zpsqprlwfi9.jpg

IMG_2199_zpshjdbzv8w.jpg

IMG_2201_zpswn1zme09.jpg

IMG_2206_zps6pbtiehk.jpg

IMG_2207_zpsespmurz0.jpg

Back