Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
I just upgraded the radiator in my '93 Explorer. My manual transmission model came with a single row radiator.

I installed a radiator from a '93 with an automatic transmission, which happens to be a 2 row radiator.

A couple things needed to be changed.

1. The fan shroud needs to be replaced with a thinner unit from an automatic transmission equipped Explorer.

2. The lower radiator hose needs to come from an automatic transmission equipped Explorer as well.

Besides that it's a direct bolt in replacement. Don't worry about the openings for the automatic transmission cooler, It's not necassary with manual trannys.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a new radiator? If so how much and where did you buy it?

I have been visiting a local yard and have not found a 2 core rad. yet. They have all been single core. I think the 2 core was part of the Automatic Towing Package from the factory.

Joe Dietz bought a nice aftermarket 2 core rad. for his Explorer for less than $200. I didnt catch the make of it though.

Hi Rick-I replaced the radiator on my '91 nearly three years ago when the original started to leak between the the plastic tank and the cores. I then checked around for a new one hoping I could find an all aluminum one. Places here in Hawaii were quoting me $150-$180 for a plastic aluminum single row. I did manage to find a shop which took a look and told me they could build and install an all aluminum three row for $210. So needless to say I did it and have been very happy with it. It came with a two year warranty too. They were able to fit the radiator in with the original shroud.

That was a great price for an aluminum radiator. Was it completely aluminum? Anyhow, my radiator went a couple months back so I picked one up from Autozone - $230.00. Its plastic on the sides (for the transmission fluid) and Aluminum on the center. Its a direct fit for the explorer (mines is a 91, they have models for other years). Its slightly thinner than the stock radiator, but cools just as efficiently. The only adjustment that I needed to make was that I had to cut the outer trim of the fan shroud so that it could press against the radiator (Rad. nozzle was in the way - removed a 1/4 inch semi circle to fit).

Mike-It is an all aluminum three row one. I know, I couldn't believe the price myself when I got the qoute. I had to get it at that price. Apparently some fabricators can do it cheap I guess. My advice would be to check around at local radiator shops. That's how I managed to find mine. I brought my Explorer to the shop and they measured the front for clearance and told me the max would be a three row in ordrer to use the stock fan shroud. They took measurements I paid for it and they told me to come back that weekend. I dropped off the Explorer one Saturday morning and had it installed in about three hours. I really like having the extra capacity. I can't believe that the stock one is only a single row.

Rick,

Are you getting better cooling from the two row radiator... The Texas heat is murder on my Navajo and could use some extra cooling... It is about as hot as it is in Phonix But it is more humid here...

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

Kris, I really can't tell yet. Our temperatures have dropped below the triple digits so I can't make a good comparison.

So far it's been great with our 95-98deg. temps.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

So I had problems with my cooling system
First the thermostat housing
Second time was water pump s five of them in a row I got a napa true flow no problems now then the radiator the original radiator was leaking at the tank so I ordered one from the rock
It was a one row my original was a two row
Turns out ford changed it to a one row
Wtf
The one row was a denso
The new one is a spectra premium
The denso was nicer but was a one row
The petcock was just like the ford one
The fittings were way nicer
The spectrum premium was nice bc it has thicker aluminum and thicker tanks
The fittings I'm not sure about
The petcock was way different it will work fine

That's the fitting I was worried about the one made from sheet metal any one have a radiator with this sheet metal nut

20180505_110528.jpg

Back