• Register Today It's free!

Radio Seek

pete497

Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
The seek function when activated by holding up or down, the seek button on the steering wheel does not work properly for me. It will start to seek but as soon as I release the button it reverts by to the preset station I started on. The only way to get it to work is to hold it down until it passes the first detected station. Using the seek button to the left and right on the console control works fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My steering wheel "seek" only changes from preset to preset.

I've had to use the console "seek" to actually go thru the channel range as "seek" was intended for past decade or so for every other car known to man.

Sometimes logic (at least mine) doesn't match up very well with the ford designers who come up with this stuff. Just seems counter-intuitive to me.

but hey...I'm an old fart...what do I know.. :D

The seek function when activated by holding up or down, the seek button on the steering wheel does not work properly for me. It will start to seek but as soon as I release the button it reverts by to the preset station I started on. The only way to get it to work is to hold it down until it passes the first detected station. Using the seek button to the left and right on the console control works fine.
From the Owner's Guide;

SEEK: Press to select the next or
previous stored preset or track.
Press and hold to select the next or
previous frequency or seek through
a track.

It is working as intended.

Peter

From the Owner's Guide;

SEEK: Press to select the next or
previous stored preset or track.
Press and hold to select the next or
previous frequency or seek through
a track.

It is working as intended.

Peter

I believe what OP is trying to say is that after he presses & holds, and the seek function starts, when he releases the button, the radio would just return to the preset station instead of continuing to seek till it finds a station.

I believe what OP is trying to say is that after he presses & holds, and the seek function starts, when he releases the button, the radio would just return to the preset station instead of continuing to seek till it finds a station.

That's correct.

If you press and hold, it will start to seek. However, if you release the button prematurely it will return to the previous preset. The only way to get it to work is to hold the seek until it passes at lease one station that it is within range or tunable. This effectively results in skipping at least one station every time. That might not seem like a big deal but it is a real PITA.

I've never used the 'Seek' function so I guess I should give it a try and see how mine works. 99% of the time I'm listening to a particular Sirius channel and the others I sometimes go to are all presets.

Peter

Mine is doing the same thing; press and hold, it seeks to the next station, as soon as you release, radio jumps back to previous.

I'm quite sure that is not the way it is supposed to work. On mine, pressing 'seek' makes it go to the next station where it stops. Press 'seek' again and it goes to the next station and so on.

Peter

Went to the dealer today. They told me, despite what the owners manual says, that is the way it's supposed to work. The Service tech even showed me another 2015 explorer that work the same way. In other words according to Larry H Miller Ford an Sandy Utah you CAN NOT seek from the steering wheel buttons.

I personally do not believe this, let's find a fix for it.

I am willing to bet this issue is a batch of bad switches, not unlike the back up camera issue (bad cameras). What really bugs me is when the dealer service person tells you, not being able to seek from the steering wheels control (contradicting the owners manual) is just the way it's suppose to be.

Who can escalate this for me?

You can always PM the Ford Service rep who monitors this forum. Not sure which rep would be involved with this particular issue. Crystal (FordService), or Rebecca (FordIVTteam). You can send a PM to either using the links;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968 (Crystal)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=181992 (Rebecca)
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Greetings,

if someone found a solution for this, kindly update us.
I have the same issue :(

regards,

I suspect thousands of people have this problem. At my local dealer, Larry H Miller Ford in Sandy, Utah, they did not have a single Explorer or Edge that would seek from the steering wheel as indicated in the owners manual. Me and a service tech went around and tested them all, as we were trying to find a car that actually worked and we could not.

Even after Crystal made contact with two different dealers no fix was found.

Try holding steering wheel button for a longer period, beyond the time it takes for seeking the 1st 1 or 2 stations then release.

Try holding steering wheel button for a longer period, beyond the time it takes for seeking the 1st 1 or 2 stations then release.

Omar,
you just described the problem. this is actually the issue. it shouldn't behave like this.

other models work fine. I tried it on a Torus for example, it works fine as it should be and as described in the manual.

Omar,
you just described the problem. this is actually the issue. it shouldn't behave like this.

other models work fine. I tried it on a Torus for example, it works fine as it should be and as described in the manual.

I don't think it is model specific, rather MyFord (MyLincoln) Touch version, as I remember it used to work as intended earlier in my MKX.

I don't think it is model specific, rather MyFord (MyLincoln) Touch version, as I remember it used to work as intended earlier in my MKX.

yup probably you are right. the Torus I tried didn't have myford; just regular standard radio.

I will email customer service and see if they got a fix for this.

Took my Ex Sport back into Larry H Miller Ford in Sandy Utah today to see if they had a fix. The new tech and I also tested another Ex Sport in the service bay, it too did not work. I am going to start collecting VIN numbers of failed vehicles and post them here, so that this thread stays at the top until ford fixes it. I also took the opportunity to inform the owner of the other Ex Sport that we tested that his steering wheel radio seek controls do not work. He did not seem very happy as he was there trying to get his front driver side bumper (under the headlight) fixed.

Took my Ex Sport back into Larry H Miller Ford in Sandy Utah today to see if they had a fix. The new tech and I also tested another Ex Sport in the service bay, it too did not work. I am going to start collecting VIN numbers of failed vehicles and post them here, so that this thread stays at the top until ford fixes it. I also took the opportunity to inform the owner of the other Ex Sport that we tested that his steering wheel radio seek controls do not work. He did not seem very happy as he was there trying to get his front driver side bumper (under the headlight) fixed.
I don't know if everyone involved would appreciate having their VIN published on a public forum. Many members have asked me to remove theirs when they inadvertently mentioned theirs in a post.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many members don't know they have a problem. Once they know there Ford is broken they will bug Ford to fix it (many people complaining is the only way Ford will fix this) and then they, if it really bugs them, ask to have there VIN removed from the forum. I'll do individual post so if you get the request it will be easy to remove.

Back