• Register Today It's free!

Radius arm fix

Mohican

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover Park, ILds
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have a 1993 Explorer 4x4 and need to replace the bushings. I know what I need to do, but it's covered in snow outside. I need to have a temporary fix so I can drive it to fix it. What can I put around the radius arm bolt to keep it from dinging up the hole?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing I saw recently, but wouldn't recommend, was using a ratchet strap to pull the RAs together, somewhat keeping the arm with the missing bushing from moving...

One option, if you just want something temporary before doing the actual repair, would be to buy a new bushing and make a cut in it so that you can slip it around the radius arm, then use a hose clamp to secure it on the arm...you would be wasting a perfectly good bushing though...

I'm gonna sound really redneck here, but if you don't want to waste a bushing, and just want some padding there, have a sawzall and a used tire, would be cut a 1" or so wide strip from the tread surface of the used tire, roughly 24" long, and wrap that around the arm, using as much as you need to, and then using a hose clamp to keep it from coming off...

Last thing, which is what I did for a while with both of mine, is just drive conservatively...plan on braking much earlier than you usually do, easing on and off the brakes slowly, and doing that won't make your RA move around with enough force to do any damage to the openings. It will also let you completely stay out of the snow. I probably wouldn't have suggested that three months ago, but winter is almost over and it won't be much longer before the snow is gone for you to do the work.

Hope that gave you some answers!

Good suggestion

Yes, that helps thank you I didn't want to have to waste a bushing. I was thinking the same thing, lol.

No problem, that's what we're all here for!

In fact, I ran hose clamps on my new bushings after the first set of replacements split after some hard off roading.

Had to replace right one on 94 xl used a grinder to remove rivets then the bracket (half of it) using bolts and lock washers replaces bushings no problems with it for 5 years now. Good Luck :)

If you need something to bush the joint temporarily to avoid damage, sleeve it with PVC pipe or a PVC connector if you can find one that fits. It could minimize travel and cushion the metal to metal contact.

Back