Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Radius arm fix

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Mohican, February 13, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Mohican

Mohican New Member

City, State:
      Hanover Park, ILds
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1993 Explorer XLT 4x4
      I have a 1993 Explorer 4x4 and need to replace the bushings. I know what I need to do, but it's covered in snow outside. I need to have a temporary fix so I can drive it to fix it. What can I put around the radius arm bolt to keep it from dinging up the hole?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      One thing I saw recently, but wouldn't recommend, was using a ratchet strap to pull the RAs together, somewhat keeping the arm with the missing bushing from moving...

One option, if you just want something temporary before doing the actual repair, would be to buy a new bushing and make a cut in it so that you can slip it around the radius arm, then use a hose clamp to secure it on the arm...you would be wasting a perfectly good bushing though...

I'm gonna sound really redneck here, but if you don't want to waste a bushing, and just want some padding there, have a sawzall and a used tire, would be cut a 1" or so wide strip from the tread surface of the used tire, roughly 24" long, and wrap that around the arm, using as much as you need to, and then using a hose clamp to keep it from coming off...

Last thing, which is what I did for a while with both of mine, is just drive conservatively...plan on braking much earlier than you usually do, easing on and off the brakes slowly, and doing that won't make your RA move around with enough force to do any damage to the openings. It will also let you completely stay out of the snow. I probably wouldn't have suggested that three months ago, but winter is almost over and it won't be much longer before the snow is gone for you to do the work.

Hope that gave you some answers!

4. FR-425

FR-425 Used to be a road here. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Phoenix, AZ.
      1994 Explorer Limited
      Good suggestion

5. Mohican

Mohican New Member

City, State:
      Hanover Park, ILds
      1993 Explorer XLT 4x4
      Yes, that helps thank you I didn't want to have to waste a bushing. I was thinking the same thing, lol.

6. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      No problem, that's what we're all here for!

7. FR-425

FR-425 Used to be a road here. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Phoenix, AZ.
      1994 Explorer Limited
      In fact, I ran hose clamps on my new bushings after the first set of replacements split after some hard off roading.

Last edited: February 14, 2018
    8. Dragon90815

Dragon90815 93 XL Restore Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Long Beach, Ca.
      '93 Explorer 4.0L auto4x4
      Had to replace right one on 94 xl used a grinder to remove rivets then the bracket (half of it) using bolts and lock washers replaces bushings no problems with it for 5 years now. Good Luck :)

9. Centaurious

Centaurious Active Member

City, State:
      Pensacola FL
      1994 Explorer Sport
      If you need something to bush the joint temporarily to avoid damage, sleeve it with PVC pipe or a PVC connector if you can find one that fits. It could minimize travel and cushion the metal to metal contact.