Rear window issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear window issue

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
So I had loaded up my ST to make a dump run after cleaning out my garage. I'd opened the rear window (for no particular reason) and forgot to close it last night. The truck was parked on a slight downhill grade. Of course it poured rain all night and due to the downhill slant a lot of water got into the rear seat and rear window area. Quite the mess! It was still raining this morning as I left for the dump. When I realized the rear window had been left open I attempted to close it. The glass went up about half way and then went down again. I tried fiddling with the window switch multiple times and in various ways but the window would not close. Finally I pressed the rear window switch's button and held it while the glass was going up and it went up to the VENT position and stopped, then I turned the switch to UP and it closed. IDK if any particular combination of fiddling helped to get it closed, but I'm afraid to put the glass down again. In the 2.5 years I've owned the ST I've never had a problem with the rear window, but I know this kind of problem is fairly common (stupid-ass design!). I've now opened the rear storage doors and stuck a 16" oscillating electric fan in the back to dry everything out. If this doesn't solve the problem I'm going to install an intermittent toggle switch connected directly to the rear window motor and bypass the controller. This will work better anyway, as I will be able to put the rear glass UP/DOWN exactly where I want it, instead of only VENT or full UP/DOWN. What the hell was Ford thinking with this design? Great way to complicate something simple. It sucks not to be able to close a window when it's pouring rain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same happened to me, the 'brain' is on the motor itself. I think it starts going wrong because it senses tension in the slider cables that move window up and down. You may get lucky and it returns to working ok.
Mine never returned to working and I connected directly to motor, bypassing/disconnecting the 'brain'. I've fitted a rocker switch in front and it is now fully controllable, the way Ford should have made it in the first place.

Same happened to me, the 'brain' is on the motor itself. I think it starts going wrong because it senses tension in the slider cables that move window up and down. You may get lucky and it returns to working ok.
Mine never returned to working and I connected directly to motor, bypassing/disconnecting the 'brain'. I've fitted a rocker switch in front and it is now fully controllable, the way Ford should have made it in the first place.

Yeah, I'm going to let everything dry out really well and maybe lube the window channels with some silicon spray (which I find has worked wonders on door windows). I don't open the rear window very often, but I need to know I can close it when I need to. If it ever gives me more trouble, or if I'm bored and feel like messing with it, I'll install a manual switch and be done with it.

Edit: Just tried the window and it's working normally today (now that it's dry).

I open my rear window every chance i get. The last time i sprayed it with lube it would do the up and then down safety thing. To get it up sometimes i had to have someone else hit the button while i guided it up most of the way and then for a couple days i had to vent it then shut it. After that good to go for another 6 months

I open my rear window every chance i get. The last time i sprayed it with lube it would do the up and then down safety thing. To get it up sometimes i had to have someone else hit the button while i guided it up most of the way and then for a couple days i had to vent it then shut it. After that good to go for another 6 months

Mines been working normally again since it dried out.

Back