Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rip-Off???

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by devildog13, January 2, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. devildog13

devildog13 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 explorer
      I have a 2006 Ford Explorer XLS with the 4.0 V-6 engine. The top of the radiator cracked. I took it to a local shop and was quoted about $720.00 to Remove/Replace this. I said to do it. They called me back later and said that both the left,and right radiator support brackets were broke,and needed to be replaced at the tune of about $200.00 for each side. Is this legit,or am I being ripped-off? Thanks!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 07EddyB

07EddyB Active Member

City, State:
      Bowling Green, KY
      2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
      Hard to say without all the facts. I will say - if the setup is the same as the V8 then they are plastic but very stout. It is also a royal pain to remove the radiator due to these brackets.
      I would be suspicious and pi**ed at the same time.
      They are probably broke but they shouldn't be. Not much you can do but demand to see them.

4. devildog13

devildog13 New Member

1999 explorer
      Thanks for the info. There won't be any way to prove how they got broke,so it is what it is. Now,if they don't produce the broken parts,that will be a big problem for them, Thank You for taking the time to respond to my post! It is very much appreciated!!

5. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      Ask to see the broken brackets. I've never seen a broken radiator bracket in the probably 20 2006+ radiators I've personally done. They are a pain to remove and an idiot tech could of easily broke them trying to remove them. I'd suspect they cut the sides mounts off thinking it was part of the radiator when it was just part of the bracket.

6. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Rockland County, NY
      06EB V8 & 07EB V6
      Second what EddyB said. It takes lots of patience to remove the radiator.
      But lots of us "non-mechanics" here did it and did not break them, so they should be more carefull.

When I did mine, it took some efforts to pull it out, but once I did, I trimmed them with a saw a little so next time it will be easier.

7. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Your mom's house
      07 Sport Trac
      Third that. If someone didn't know what they were doing I guess they may cut them rather than loosen them and lift out the rad. At 700 that rad must be gold plated too.

• Like Like x 1