Rip-Off??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rip-Off???

devildog13

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer
I have a 2006 Ford Explorer XLS with the 4.0 V-6 engine. The top of the radiator cracked. I took it to a local shop and was quoted about $720.00 to Remove/Replace this. I said to do it. They called me back later and said that both the left,and right radiator support brackets were broke,and needed to be replaced at the tune of about $200.00 for each side. Is this legit,or am I being ripped-off? Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to say without all the facts. I will say - if the setup is the same as the V8 then they are plastic but very stout. It is also a royal pain to remove the radiator due to these brackets.
I would be suspicious and pi**ed at the same time.
They are probably broke but they shouldn't be. Not much you can do but demand to see them.

Thanks for the info. There won't be any way to prove how they got broke,so it is what it is. Now,if they don't produce the broken parts,that will be a big problem for them, Thank You for taking the time to respond to my post! It is very much appreciated!!

Ask to see the broken brackets. I've never seen a broken radiator bracket in the probably 20 2006+ radiators I've personally done. They are a pain to remove and an idiot tech could of easily broke them trying to remove them. I'd suspect they cut the sides mounts off thinking it was part of the radiator when it was just part of the bracket.

Second what EddyB said. It takes lots of patience to remove the radiator.
But lots of us "non-mechanics" here did it and did not break them, so they should be more carefull.

When I did mine, it took some efforts to pull it out, but once I did, I trimmed them with a saw a little so next time it will be easier.

Third that. If someone didn't know what they were doing I guess they may cut them rather than loosen them and lift out the rad. At 700 that rad must be gold plated too.

Back