Radiator replacement on a 2006 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator replacement on a 2006 Explorer.

frankie15oct

Reaction score
City, State
Midlothian, Va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
Can anyone tell me if I have to disconnect the a/c lines to remove the radiator on my 06 Ex limited? I have heard many conflicting answers and wanted to get an idea before I begin. I cannot see to trace them to the condenser because the radiator support bracket is in the way. Also do you really need a special tool to disconnnect the auto trans cooling lines? Any info would be helpful! Thx 2006 Explorer Limited 4.0 V6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not replaced my radiator but you should not need to remove the ac lines.
Yes you do need a special tool to remove the trans cooler lines, this I have done.
The tool is cheap under $12.

Radiator replacement

Thanks for the reply. I found the fan clutch and trans cooler lines removal tools at my local Advanced Auto before i checked back for a reply. Yep! only about $25 for fan clutch tool and $12 for a set of quick disconnect tools. Thanks again for the feedback!

Thanks for the reply. I found the fan clutch and trans cooler lines removal tools at my local Advanced Auto before i checked back for a reply. Yep! only about $25 for fan clutch tool and $12 for a set of quick disconnect tools. Thanks again for the feedback!

Didnt need to remove the fan on mine, just the shroud.

Radiator replacement

Really? I was thinking the same but, was worried about having enough room to work around ABS module and clearence to disconnect condenser mounts from the radiator.

BTW.. How did you get rear DVD and Nav on your EB? I wanted the EB but, had to buy a Limited for the DVD. Sunroof was in the way on EB and the wife had to get the DVD for the kids

Really? I was thinking the same but, was worried about having enough room to work around ABS module and clearence to disconnect condenser mounts from the radiator.

Yep, but it's a real pain in the rear. Ford designed the system so that you have to remove the condenser to easily replace the rad. It takes quite a bit of wiggling and prying to get it out, but it will. It's best to have someone underneath doing the prying and someone up top to do the wiggling and pulling.

BTW.. How did you get rear DVD and Nav on your EB? I wanted the EB but, had to buy a Limited for the DVD. Sunroof was in the way on EB and the wife had to get the DVD for the kids

I got my X used, and it had the accessory add-on DVD player in it. It's a black unit right in the middle of the ceiling. Same size screen as the factory system.

The nav unit was an add-on by me from eBay! Got it for $275, shipping included.

Radiator replacement

Ok I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the help! I found a radiator from Federated for $204.00 and my local Dealership wanted $677.00 for a factory replacement. I think I will try the aftermarkey first but, trying to do this repair once and get it over with.

Ok I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the help! I found a radiator from Federated for $204.00 and my local Dealership wanted $677.00 for a factory replacement. I think I will try the aftermarkey first but, trying to do this repair once and get it over with.

I got mine on eBay from ProRadiators. Was $105 with shipping. So far, so good!

How long have you had it (miles and months) installed?[/QUOTE]

I only put it in two weeks ago. Have about 1,000 miles on it.

However, I towed a trailer from Central PA to Long Island and back last weekend.

Knocking on wood.... :)

Radiator replacement

Well I just replaced mine and the only trouble was seperating it from the support bracket. With a litttle convincing It is now finished. Not sure if you knew but, TSB 09-8-1 is a PCM reprogram to allow the fan to come on more frequently to hopefully correct this problem and save the new radiator. I have a appt Thurs. to get mine reprogramed as well as have the trans shifter recall fixed. Now the power 3rd row seat is not working at 30,000 miles. Always something. Think it's time to go get my Mustang back

frankie15oct, did you plug the transmission lines in any way not to lose the fluid? I guess the X is not under warranty (if you did the change yourself), do you have to pay for PCM reprogramming?

frankie15oct, did you plug the transmission lines in any way not to lose the fluid? I guess the X is not under warranty (if you did the change yourself), do you have to pay for PCM reprogramming?

Much of the fluid comes out of the old cooler. No way to save it really.

No I didn't plug the lines but only lost about 1 quart of fluid. Unfortunatly this truck doesn't have a dipstick so only way to add is at the bottom. When i have the pcm reprogrammed on Friday I will have them top it off. Yes I will have to pay aprx. $98.00 for them to reprogram but, if it saves me from replacing the radiator again it's worth it

frankie15oct, you can actually add fluid yourself, there are two tools ($30) that you need to access the plug and add the fluid. Can you please post the TSB number of the fan update, I'll have to get that update done too and just wanted to make sure it will be added to pcm.

Radiator replacement

Sure it's TSB 09-8-1 That's a complete reprogram and is considered as Ford's updated fan strategy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back