Rough Idle, Hesitation, possible fix. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle, Hesitation, possible fix.

Hello All,
I have a 2002 XLS with 130k on it. I recently replaced the spark plugs and now when I connect the plug that goes to the Mass Air Flow sensor the car does not idle it just shuts down. I remove the plug and the truck starts right up. Could I have damaged the sensor when I plugged it in while the car was on? I don't have the money to replace the part now so I'm going to clean the TB. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does the tool wrench icon show up on the dash? Has your gas mileage plummetted? Check the Throttle Position Sensor.

Hello Mellang,
No tool wrench icon on the dash, actually I've never even seen that icon. Gas mileage is ok and how do I check the throttle position sensor? I'm pretty handy but don't know much about troubleshooting explorers. Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks

2004 explorer

i have a 2004 explorer xlt, its idling rough when i drive i can feel it in the drive as well,upon excelration it smoothes out a bit but when i stop its starts idling rough again, i changed the spark plugs,and wires, coil pack,mass air flow censor,and the egr valve. still have the problem got the check engine light rest and now its flashing agin dont know what it could be please help

My poor 1997 money pit

I've a 1997 4.0 SOHC. Rough idle like crazy, hesitation and sometimes backfiring when pushing the pedal in park OR drive... if i stomp the pedal i can hear LOADS of air moving in the intake (that induction noise) but it'll skip and sputter up till 2500 and hold there for a few second before sorta roaring back to life. it runs fairly smooth once you get the RPMs up. Idles low, 450-550RPM. Slight knock, and heavy condensation out the tail pipe. No fix yet but i'm thinking one of a few things, MAF, Injectors, O2 sensors, Stuck EGR (no response when i pulled the vacuum line off). I've eliminated nearly every other problem. i thought it was maybe too much fuel system cleaner in the tank, so i tossed in another 5 gal and it seemed to help but not much and not for long. Any ideas?

(EDIT): Does NOT get better when warmed up, and my OBDII scan tool (ELM327) wont read anything for some reason, and no idiot lights are on

My '02 Explorer had a rough idle that would not go away and no one could properly diagnose it. I took off and cleaned the "Idle Air Control Valve" and that made a world of difference. On a '02 it's a fairly inexpensive part so I ordered a new one and replaced it. I have not had a rough idle since, and that was about 40,000 miles ago.

I've a 1997 4.0 SOHC. Rough idle like crazy, hesitation and sometimes backfiring when pushing the pedal in park OR drive... if i stomp the pedal i can hear LOADS of air moving in the intake (that induction noise) but it'll skip and sputter up till 2500 and hold there for a few second before sorta roaring back to life. it runs fairly smooth once you get the RPMs up. Idles low, 450-550RPM. Slight knock, and heavy condensation out the tail pipe. No fix yet but i'm thinking one of a few things, MAF, Injectors, O2 sensors, Stuck EGR (no response when i pulled the vacuum line off). I've eliminated nearly every other problem. i thought it was maybe too much fuel system cleaner in the tank, so i tossed in another 5 gal and it seemed to help but not much and not for long. Any ideas?

(EDIT): Does NOT get better when warmed up, and my OBDII scan tool (ELM327) wont read anything for some reason, and no idiot lights are on

Exactly the same symptoms my old Ford Tempo had. Dealer said it needed a $2k valve job. Turned out to be a clogged fuel filter and a $50 fix.

I'll have to try that, it does kindof sound like a fuel supply problem. Also i know its not the IAC, pulled the connector on it when running and it nearly died before i slapped it back on so i know its working.

what troubles me is it happened fairly suddenly, but on the other hand it has sat around for quite a long time (3 years before i got it and then at least a year when i got it) so maybe i stirred up some crap

i also noticed that the idle didnt change when i pulled the vacuum off the EGR, thats why i was thinking maybe it could be that

Its really counter-intuitive. You would think that if the fuel pump is weak or filter is plugged it would have trouble at high speed, but the opposite was true. It would sputter and stumble like crazy until it got to highway speed then smooth out. And it was definitely the filter. And this one happened pretty much suddenly also. Probably it was running a little rough, but then one day it started with the sputtering.

Also i know its not the IAC, pulled the connector on it when running and it nearly died before i slapped it back on so i know its working.

I'm sure it's working, but is it working properly. Mine was working, but my idle was very rough and it was the root cause. You could take it off and clean it out with carburetor cleaner and dry it with compressed air just to see if it is slightly clogged and causing the problem. Once I cleaned my IAC the idle was much smoother to my surprise, hence the reason I bought a new one and simply replaced it afterwards. My part cost was $35 and on a '02 it's an easy DIY job.

UPDATE: Made a video

Decided to make a video, turns out, barely any/no fuel at the rail http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOPAlqj7SU4

it spurted a tiny bit before i made the vid but it couldn't have been more than 1-2psi. The pump SOUNDS like its cycling when i cycle the key so at this point its got to be either the FPR or filter. I'll try the filter first. I'm just hoping its not loads of crap choking out the pump in the tank since it sat for a while...

Interested to see what comes out of that filter. Take some pics if you can.

Partially solved

http://imgur.com/qvTcsVM
Replacing the filter only partially solved the problem, it will now run briefly for a second or two if i hold the pedal down. Still not getting a lot of fuel to the rail. i took the hose and end off a bike pump and slapped that on the test port and after about 40-50 key cycles managed to fill just over a 3rd of a mason jar with gas. So it seems to me that either the pump is weak (somewhat likely) or there is a hell of a lot of sediments i stirred up in the tank clogging the strainer (most likely). either way im gonna have to drop the tank, so i might as well replace the pump while im at it just to be sure.

i do have to say though, what drained out of the fuel filter was nearly clear and smelled like paint thinner, definitely did not smell like gasoline

It's an electric fuel pump so it should be generating pressure with ignition on. I'd suggest measuring pressure not flow. If you have a schrader connection you can use a pressure gage on it. It really takes a very small amount of fuel to idle an engine.

yes but if i let all that pressure go into a jar it should flow a very high ammount, because its trying to build high pressure but its just being released. that said i can safely say that the ammount getting to the rail is not nearly enough.

Since im dropping the tank to flush it out, ive ordered a new pump (with strainer), since it'll be out anyway. ill post updates once those parts get here and i try that out.

Im new but it sounds like fuel problems as stated above you are using more than the pump/filter can supply,,just a thought,,,jim

I recently bought my first Ex about 2 months ago. When I first got it there was a little lag time, or hesitation sometimes taking off from a stop. It also idled a little low for my taste and shuttered from time to time. It is a 2004, 4.6, with the "drive by wire" throttle. It was doing this when I test drove it, but I got this vehicle far below bluebook so I felt I could spend a little money on it if needed to get it up to par.

About 2 weeks ago I started to notice it taking a turn for the worse. It would die often in the mornings, and some times during the day, It was idleing around 3-400 RPM's ( just barely even running). The lag/hesitation between the time I pressed the accelerator and when it actually started to take off was brutal. A good 3 seconds some times. Then when it did finaly WAKE UP it was like I had it half way to the floor. A real pain to drive this way. When I would shift from park into gear it would clunk really hard. Harder in Reverse than in Drive. It was even shifting throughout the gears a little funny.

I started doing tons of research online and trying to narrow down what could be causing it. The only code the computer threw out was the Low Idle Code, but that was it. Once I reset the computer it never threw the code again even though it was still running like crap.

I decided the truck needed a tune up anyway and that should help. So I changed, Air filter, Fuel Filter, Oil change and filter, Cleaned the injectors, changed plugs, tested all the coil packs, Replaced PCV valve, TP Sensor, and checked for vacume leaks. After all that it had way more pep, but still wouldnt Idle right and had the hesitation.

I finaly decided to pull the entire throttle body and just LOOK at it. Once I got it off I noticed all the gunk and crap that was completly cutting off air supply when the throttle plate was in idle position.( assume this is because when I changed the Air Filter I noticed they had a K&N Filter and used WAY too much oil in the filter, I just use a dry filter with a little oil around the seal and change it with every oil change.) I gently cleaned every bit of the buildup out of the entire throttle body with WD-40 and some rags. This took about an hr in itself. Carb cleaner would have taking about 10 mins but was told not to use it on this throttle body.(not sure why?) Put it all back together and it runs like a new truck!

Idles around 750RPM's and no hesitation. No more clunking into gear going from park. Every bad symtom I had is gone. The only reason I posted this long thread was because I have been seeing many complaints with the same issues I was having, and everybody was just buying new parts and nothing was getting fixed. So I think a good cleaning would do the trick in many cases.

Sorry for such a long post!

Ike
I just bought a 1997 XLT V8 and have been having similar issues. It's really clean underneath and I'm hoping this is the issue. Mechanically, I'm still well below novice. I know how to change oil and brakes so do you think this would be an easy enough job for me?
Cass

Back