Rough Idle, Hesitation, possible fix. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle, Hesitation, possible fix.

I think I found the problem, I used the 2010 knock sensor that came with the motor, I unpluged the knock sensor and drove it for 15 miles seems ok, there is a slight studder, but there is no kock sensor hooked up, I am going to change the sensor this evening and post back

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the orginial knock sensor from the 03, and the 2010 knock sensor had the same part number, although it runs much better now, but there i still a slight dead spot between 1300 rpm and 2000 rpm.

I put the timing light on the crank it is about 1 inch from the timing mark, I think that's where the dead spot is.

I also found that the 8 intake bolts have a rubber grommet that was shrinking when the truck got hot, causing a intake leak.

Please elaborate on these rubber grommets. Did you replace yours? Are they directly under the shoulder of the bolt?

picture.php?albumid=19605&pictureid=75868.jpg

top rubber washer compressed to far.

picture.php?albumid=19605&pictureid=75867.jpg

shaft sticking out past intake.

Thanks for the pics. I remember these now from last time I replaced my manifold gaskets. Fordparts.com has this as the "Intake Manifold Isolator", $57.27 for the 8-pack. Part number 9s479. A little research shows there is a TSB for the Windstar: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/muddyford/2009-12-09_044557_1121.pdf. I love this little snippet: "Another vacuum leak source is the gasket (9H486) between the upper and lower intake manifold assemblies caused by a loss of tension at the isolator bolt assemblies (9S479) due to contamination of the rubber grommets from excessive oil pullover."

I took one of mine off and looked at it. It's impossible to tell if it's pulling through like yours is showing in the pic, but I bet it's one contributor of my crappy idle. The rubber is really hard and brittle, like plastic. So did you replace the entire bolt? The grommet is installed in such a way that it can't come off. Seems to require replacing the entire bolt/grommet assembly.

I can not get this truck to run after about 10 minutes of driving. today it was back firing thru air cleaner and no power. I unpluged the mass air flow sensor and made it home, The truck actually ran better, I changed the sensor out 3 times at autozone I keep getting a used sensor. and every time I put a new sensor in the truck runs different.

i read somewhere in the forums that the fuel pressure should be over a 100 psi can anyone confirm this from a good running truck, also can anyone put a timing light on their truck and see where the line is at normal operating temperature. I am about to leave this truck on the side of the road somewhere.

Fuel pressure should be 30-65 psi

update, dropped off truck at the dealer. I can't figure it out and gave in.

Lead tech said he would have it figured out in an hour. for 95 bucks.

well see tommorow what the cause is!

And the problem was................... Autozones's mass air flow sensor did not set the computers correct timing, and I tried four sensors from autozone all no good,

the factory ford mass air flow fixed the problem, the tech even said if i buy the part from ford dealer that there will be no charge for the diagnosis (he even put 10 updates in the computer) or labor putting the mass air flow sensor on, Great deal in my book I went nuts for two months trying to figure this out.

Wow, good find. I guess this how they justify the high cost of their parts.

And the problem was................... Autozones's mass air flow sensor did not set the computers correct timing, and I tried four sensors from autozone all no good,

the factory ford mass air flow fixed the problem, the tech even said if i buy the part from ford dealer that there will be no charge for the diagnosis (he even put 10 updates in the computer) or labor putting the mass air flow sensor on, Great deal in my book I went nuts for two months trying to figure this out.

Dealer did charge for diagnosis $95.00 and mass air flow sensor 220.00, bigger bill than I thought 315.00 plus tax. and problem still there, full throttle is going to 17 degrees after tdc and loss of power, all the ford techs were stumped and the the best they can do is send ford corporate an email for advice. great service gotta love it. :thumbdwn:

So they said one thing and did another? "10 updates in the computer" sounds like he was blowing smoke.

I went to the dealer today to review the email from ford corporate

the letter stated that since the truck is 2003 chassis and I put in a 2010 engine that ford will not trouble shoot or support, they also said that the cam,valves,knock sensor, and compression are different between the years.

the lead tech pulled specs on both engines and they were the same so the email was bull crap, and stated there is nothing they can do to help or repair, he recommended me to get a chip or programmer to fix the timing, or just drive it the way it is!

does anybody know of software or programmer to adjust timing?

Have you checked compression? Backfiring through the intake could mean the intake valve was open at some point during the power stroke.

last night i checked, about 197lbs in all six cylinder

I would think any of those tuner guys could hook up their computer and see just what is going on.

i talked to a tuner guy today, he says my problem is probally the front oxygen sensors failing, but still registering under 25 percent just enough to not throw a check engine light. I will put two new o2 sensors on tonight and see what happens

oxygen sensors did not fix problem,

problem fixed

2003 explorer spark plug (shorter) compared to 2010 ranger spark plug (longer)

picture.php?albumid=19882&pictureid=77005.jpg

My engine donor was from a 2010 ranger with the longer spark plugs. I installed a new set of spark plugs for a 2003 explorer which are shorter. I never noticed the difference in length. I Installed the orginal 2010 spark plugs and studdering went away, I put on 20 miles and all seems good

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you figured it out. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Back