1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Shopping for a new (to me) 4th gen - need advice

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by geosnooker2000, November 13, 2017 at 2:10 AM.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000 Active Member

City, State:
      Memphis
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '99 Eddie Bauer V8 (5.0L)
      So, I want, I want, I want.... hehehehe
      Coming from the second gen ('99) like I am, I assumed the Eddie Bauer was still the king as far as amenities. Now after hours and hours of autotrader, cargurus, and cars.com, I am seeing that the Limited more times than not has it over the EB. Like, I really like the idea of the power third row. Most of the Limited (or is it all of them?) have the power third row, but not all of the EBs do. I really like the two-tone exterior on the EBs. But it doesn't really matter if I'm gonna install some fender flares anyway.
      Anyway, I would love any input you guys would like to share. Here's what I think so far:
      Must haves:
      Leather (I think tan, because the black/charcoal seems to show wear/scratches too easily on the door consoles)
      V8
      4x4
      nav-infotainment (as I said in the thread over on the modified forum, if I can install without much trouble, then I will)
      No RUST
      Intrigued by the Pewter color, but most likely dark blue or black

If you guys have any strong opinions about amenities I should look for/avoid because they are a PITA, shout them out.
      Thanks

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Check the tranny fluid, and I'd be leery of one that had a brake controller or looked like it had done a lot of towing.

4. D Hook

D Hook Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      06 Explorer Limited V-8
      Power third row seat is nice until the gearing strips and you can't move the seat. Do a search here. Lots of threads about it.
      Light interior is nice looking but steering wheel really shows wear easily. Put a cover on it before it starts wearing.

Love my limited.

5. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      Tow package is a must if you think you might need it. If not you get the puney 1.25" hitch and its a pain to swap over to a 2" hitch.

6. geosnooker2000

City, State:
      Memphis
      I'm assuming this means YOU have experienced this problem? Also, did you intentionally choose the Limited over the EB?

7. geosnooker2000

City, State:
      Memphis
      Good point. I wasn't sure if I was seeing an optical illusion (i.e. some looked bigger than others). Hard to tell over the internet.

8. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Rockland County, NY
      06EB V8 & 07EB V6
      EB and Limited are in many cases loaded the same way, just the color scheme is different. Avoid the power 3rd seat. I have 2 EBs, one with power, and one with manual. The power ones WILL GO BAD one day, and the motor itself is about $ 300 per side plus hours to replace it including grinding the rivets off. When mine went bad I just converted it to manual ones using entire bench from a salvage yard. The power ones are ticking bomb. Most of the Limited came with v8, EBs not.

9. 67FordGuy

67FordGuy New Member

City, State:
      Charlotte nc
      2010 explorer ltd
      EB Limited also came with Power Adjustable pedals with memory option. A nice feature to have if any in your family are real short. The pedals come to the driver.

10. D Hook

D Hook Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      06 Explorer Limited V-8
      Yes and yes.

11. Christobal65

Christobal65 Active Member

City, State:
      Sacramento CA
      07 Explorer V8- 01 Miata
      I have an 07 V8 4x4 Eddie Bauer with the tow package, power 3rd row seats, sun roof, 6 disc changer, rear sub, and power peddles.

Get the tow package, skip the power 3rd row seats, sunroof is meh, power peddles are pointless to my wife and I (we literally never move them). I wish I had auto climate control, heated seats and manual 3rd row seats. The manual HVAC has a few odd idiosyncrasies with the biggest one being there's no way to set recirculating without having the air blow in your face. Heated seats are always a plus with leather. I've had my truck for a little over a year and the 3rd row power seat already failed.

12. mgmgmg

mgmgmg Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plymouth, MN
      '94 LTD '10 LTD V8
    13. hlg99

hlg99 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Boston
      08 Mounty Premier
      This is my third truck of this platform. Don't really care much for the heated seats and have kept the third row folded.
      It has the 6 CD changer that's jammed up but I ripped all my CD's onto a usb so it doesn't matter to me.
      So for I'm happy it seems that all the gripes I had with the 1 st and 2nd gens have been squared away on this one
      I'm still finding little cool things like the drip spouts on the oil filter and drain plugs.

14. qb100

qb100 New Member

2007 Eddie Bauer Edition
      keep reading the threads here for common issues... here are my 2 cents worth.. 3rd row power will fail first time you don't put the head rest down or something is on the seat preventing it from going all the way down. power running boards will fail.. especially if you are on any dirt roads... coolant leaks ( various areas.. see threads) , sunroof occasionally leaks through map light.. spark plug changing and exhaust manifold....

otherwise we love our 07 EB.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. D Hook

D Hook Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      06 Explorer Limited V-8
      My power third row failed in the down position, which is good. At least can still carry cargo stuff.