• Register Today It's free!

shuddering front end

mercmt

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mercury mountaineer
I replaced the passenger side wheel bearing, the front brake pads, and the stablilzer bar bushings. Or is it called the sway bar? the 1st couple show what I am referring to. the last two are the new ones installled
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/szsuh88baqitmdm/AABKR5ZLyLWVS3x3xlOrU3Bwa?dl=0
Anyway. the vehichle shuddered a bit when turning. we thought it was a frozen caliper. but after driving it at highway speeds it started shuddering really bad. any ideas. the vehichle is 2000 ford explorer eddie bauer. AWD v8. there were 2 sizes for the bushings. we used the 34 mm. what could we have done wrong? it was a bad shudder. I actually had the vehichle towed home

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely air in the power steering system from turning the wheels side to side with the engine off.
Turn the steering wheel lock to lock with the engine running to get the air out.

It's happened to every 2nd gen Explorer owner who does their own work atleast once :)

I wondered about that. would that cause it to shudder when going straight at highway speed?

The air in the system letting things get sloppy... I don't really have a surgical answer for you.
I've had it happen, it's actually a very violent shudder, and a very common thing to have happen.

Get the air out and let us know if everything is ok after that.

Thank you very much. I remember having to do that with my mountaineer, But I don't recall it being so radical. thanks again!!!

Never heard of this before, interesting, thanks.

Ok. I bled it, as was suggested, and the problem seems to have gone away. Very interesting lesson. As I said before, I did have to bleed my mountaineer once, but I never experienced as much shuddering with it. But Thanks so much!!!! I believe the problem is solved!!

Back