Silver lake Michigan,this fall? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Silver lake Michigan,this fall?

Originally posted by Michigander
hmmmm.... looks like I might be going to the Badlands instead. Do you guys ever go to the Mounds in Flint? We should get a run there, it's $5 and fun for about 5 hours!!!! Anyone interested in that?

I'm game. Let me know when.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

either way, badlands are only in attica which is like 20 min from purdue. i wanna run the sand dunes too, PLUS id like to hit attica also

She came over the hill WAY too fast and went airborn... landed on the nose about 20 feet down the back side of the hill... I didn't see it (I was about 2 hills back) but a guy I was there with did, and he said that the truck landed, stood on it's nose for what seemed like an eternity, then flopped over on its roof.

There are some other pics in that gallery of how they got it down.... 4x4 tow truck backed up to it on the hill and dragged it all the way to the bottom. Then they basically just winched it over from the other side so it was on all-4s again, loaded it onto a 4wd flat-bed and hauled it off.

I'm sure there were some hefty fines from the DNR too...

-Joe-

Would a stock truck do OK at the Mounds? I wouldn't mind going there; its a lot closer than Silver Lake, and a different terrain as well. But I'd still be up for a run at Silver Lake. What ever happened to Travis? He organized this whole thing last time.

Eric

he totaled his truck last time, he's game to ride along this time. :rolleyes:

why cant he take an awd v8 in there? dont ask me :confused:

WOW, when did Travis total his truck? Was it at the dunes? Did he roll it like that yellow Ford?

Eric

Travis did a hell of a nose dive

As for a stock X at the Mounds, sure you can roll around, just stay out of the heavy goo. There are places my CJ will get stuck (but not many :D ).

Here are some pics of the Mounds
http://www.michiganjeepers.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=504&thumb=1
...... page numbers are on the bottom right (4 pages of pics)

And when I say goo, I mean goo
2doug-med.jpg

Need to see as it gets closer, but I am interested in Silver Lake. The Mounds sound like it would be fun too (and not too far).

espnfreak--good choice of schools! I spent several years at Purdue myself--back when it was a basketball school, not football.:)

Yeah, I'm having quite a bit of fun here. Starting to meet a ton of new people. Campus is nice, but the location is so so, i mean attica in is 20 min away so thats cool, but once i get my truck down here then it will be a ton of fun. I'm hoping to do that before silver lake run. You Got aol instant messenger?

No, I used to, but got rid of it a while ago.

espnfreak, thanks for the e-mail letting me know about the trip. I won't be able to make it, I have a get together I have to go to up south of Baraga in the UP. I would have loved to go!

gijoecam, was she going the wrong way at the dunes? I can't read the sign at the bottom of the dune, but I see all the trucks pointed the other way and I know the dunes are mostly one way traffic. My freinds brother was just down there and endoed over the handlebars of the fourwheeler he was riding, busted up his nose pretty good.

Anyway you guys have fun down there, and one of you geta little air down there for me, everytime I've been down there my 92 has been airborn! The dunes are great fun.

I will be going the 12th sounds great to me. My brother will be going with his f-150. Just keep me posted as where everyone is meeting up Saturday morning.

Eric

Good deal Big E, hope to see ya there again, should be a blast!

bump, anyone else coming?

You guys have fun, wish I could come!

Here's the list:
Toad
Vairking
espnfreak
espnfreak's dad most likely
99 mounty
ssikora
michigander(?)
gijoecam
luv2explorer(?) yo can ya make it?
limited96
eskals
bilchy
Big E
95XLT
and finally some guy with a 95 explorer from chicago who's got a lot of mods....
14 ppl...we got any more?

It's getting kinda close to the date, i plan on driving up that friday and sleeping up there friday night, duning all saturday, and ill probably leave late saturday night.

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I not sure where I am going to stay though. I'll have to do some internet research.

Where are we planning on meeting? Is there any place outside the dune area that we could meet? I really don't remember much in that area. Maybe someplace off the freeway?

Eric

I may not be able to make it. I should know soon.

Look at all these explorer people right here....yet we have yet to make a Midwest Explorer Group.:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know, especailly since the IL one disbanded...you'd think something would come about. im up for it since im sorta swapping between il and in.

oh yeah count 95xlt in 2, i think he said he's a most likely show

Back