• Register Today It's free!

Silver Lake Sand Dune run?

Tars

Reaction score
City, State
Traverse City, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Ok I was convinced to post this as soon as the board was back up. Thanks guys! I live in Northern Michigan and was wondering if anyone would be interested in making a run to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes park on Lake Michigan sometime this spring or summer? For anyone that doesn't know about Silver Lake, it is just many sand dunes open to off road trucks, bikes, fourwheelers, sand skiffs, etc. Its a great time. My Explorer is stock and it works just fine out there, so I know anyone can go out there.

Silver Lake was featured in Car and Driver a while back, they tested a Cherokee and an Xterra out there.

Anyway if anyone is interested let me know. I'm more than willing to try to set up an Explorer run. I would like to see more Explorers out there. I tend to get laughed at when I go out there in my Explorer, well I did until they saw me pull my buddy's Dakota off the top of one of the dunes:) Anyway let me know if anyone is interested.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where exactly is it at? im in central illinois, so it would be quite a haul....i have never done sand....i could possibly be interested in it....do you konw how far it would be from me?

Looks like our calendar is filling pretty quickly. I'd love to go on this one although it looks like we might be able to do it sometime in July or August. Too much too handle and of course if my truck will be able to perform with no glitches of any sort.

Where exactly that would be?

I'd like to...

I'd like to, but I can't take the Exploder... no plates, bald tires, etc... I'll take the truck, though... Let me know when... first couple weeks in May are out, though... exams.

-Joe-

Silver Lake is on the West side of Michigans lower peninsula, right on Lake Michigan. The dunes themselves are between Ludington and Muskegon, off US 31. Off hand I don't know how far it is from the Michigan border, but I'm coming down from Traverse City and it takes me about 2-2.5 hours. ON a map of MI the dunes are right by a little town called Hart. Mears is also right around it. Just follow US 31 north past Muskegon and there is an exit that says Silver Lake sand dunes, thats the exit you want. I can get more detailed directions latter.There is a little town called Silver Lake right by the dunes, that is where most people stay. Anyway hope that gives you some idea as to where it is. I'll try to look up distances and such soon and get back with you guys.

Also, as I stated before, my truck is STOCK! No mods and I do just fine out there. I just air my tires down and go play. Heck since I've owned the truck it has had street tires on it, that is, not very aggressive tread tires, Cooper Weathermasters. They do the job, so don't worry about not being able to run the dunes if your truck is stock, they'll do just fine. Also skid plates aren't required. They help but you don't need them, there is nothing but soft sand out there.

Originally posted by riffman
do you konw how far it would be from me?

riffman, according to mapquest it will take about 6 hours.
Or 325mi.

Come on you Michigan people! I know there are a couple of you, and I know some of you are looking for places and people to go wheeling with! This would be a great time to meet some people!

and to add that this would give us a chance to try different things..... mud, rock crawling, terrain and now sand..... snow anyone?? anyway, let's just concentrate on setting some dates...

Hey Riff, isn’t the IL.F.W.D.A. panning a run up there soon? I thought I remember reading an e-mail on the subject but I must have deleted it. I’m definitely up for some sand! Sounds like fun.

hey Riff, are your **** buddies going there anytime soon? maybe you can take your rig and show them what really is that **** thing that they are talking about.

lol

I have been to Silver Lake Sand Dunes, it's a great time. Tons of quads, rails, and offroaders including many "daily drivers". There is only one decent size hill, "Test Hill". I've seen days where built offroaders couldn't make it up, but also days when stock vehicles have made it up(once I saw an X90 make it up), it just depends on the sand conditions. There is a sharp peak at the top of the hill and when people make it to the top they park right on top and sit, sometimes for hours, and watch other people try to make it. There is an area for unorganized "Just for fun" drag races where every kind of vehicle/machine jumps in and races. There is also one huge strip that goes right down to the beach of Lake Michigan(yes you can take you jetskis out) where people park and watch other people cruise/be crazy. All in all a great place to go.

Things to watch out for...

1. The renta cops are watching you, know the rules and do not break them, they are very serious and will impound you vehicle and take you to jail.

2. Most areas are directional, but on busy weekends people are flying over hills in all directions...

Just my .02 cents(maybe more like 2 dollars)

Well whenever people want to go. I'm open to pretty much any weekend this summer or fall. The drive for me will be a little longer now, coming from Marquette instead of Traverse City adds a few hours, but oh well, small price to pay to have some fun.

Sethro, I must say I have never seen anyone going against the directional traffic. I can't think why anyone would do that! Actually depending on the wind Test Hill isn't the only big hill, if the wind id blowing right many of hte hills can be challenging. But I will say, my Explorer has been one of the stock trucks to make it up Test Hill and sit up there for hours watching people. If fact once I made it up backwards.

Anyway when do you guys want to go? Let me know.

well...ill give you the official...ill be there....but im thinking not till maybe mid to late june....got a few other places im hitting this summer...but one question....what about lodging? is there a place we (maybe just i) can crash for the night?

Next weekend...

There's a group of guys with F-150s going out there Easter weekend... the 14th, I believe. Most of the guys from the Detroit area are just going out there for the day. If I can talk my cousin into going, I might just go. They usually go once a month or so.

Here's the link...

Dead Link Removed

Hope to see you there sometime :)

-Joe-

Well now I too have to drive many hours to get to my favorite wheelin place. My new job is in Marquette MI, about 5 hours from Traverse City, my previous home. Now instead of a couple hours to Silver Lake I have about a 7 hour drive:( And being my first year with the company I have NO vacation time available. I may still be able to sneak down there for a day of playing on the dunes if anyone is still interested.

Are we still thinking of running this?

wow

I never look in this folder... what a suprise. I will be going with a few college friends in late May, early June. Unfortunatly, one person will be bringing his J**p, but it's all good. I'de love to meet of with you guys if you are there. We are just planning on camping near-by.

I will post again when we know our plans. It basically depends when our profs decide to lay on the work and when they give us a break.

What's the deal NOIEC are we going or what?

Has anyone set a date yet? I seriously need to get better tires before I even think about it. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry guys, I'm out. I really want to go but I can't take the time off work and it is just too far to drive for one day of wheeling, maybe next summer when I have some vacation time.

Back