Smoked Tail Light Tint | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smoked Tail Light Tint

I decided to make my own smoked tail light tint. It is static-cling window film in 20% limo black from Wal-Mart, or i have seen it other places also. Then cut to fit. The tint is a thin static cling vinyl unlike real tint, so you can use and reuse them as many times as you want. The tint comes in a roll. It cost me $10.19, and hour of my time.

38688zz111.jpg

I made the templates by cutting a hole in a sheet of paper, taping it to the light and tracing the shape to the paper. Then I cut the shape and transferred it to the tinting.

38688zz10.jpg

This is a pic of the cut outs and the stock tail light. Make sure it is clean..

38688zz1.jpg

The tint is the vinyl, static type, but you still apply it like the regular window tint. You can use baby shampoo and bottled water to help you apply it. This is with the first one on the top..

38688zz2.jpg

This is it all done !

38688zz3.jpg

After several high pressure car washes, and high speed driving, mine is still sticking. Once the moisture is gone, they are not coming off until YOU take it off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey sorry about the delay... I hadn't clear coated them with those first pictures up but now they are done and on! I only have a pic with the turn signal because I was the only one home and couldn't wedge anything to hold the brake down but I will get that done soon. But here they are... with some additional updated pics because I haven't posted since I put the billet grille or clear corners on... but here it is...

http://s755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/hmk1115/

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

xdviper.... they are stock tints, I'm thinking about tinting the front windows too to match and I've been told that would only be around $50... but I'm studying abroad in China and leaving January 2nd so I will be waiting to do that until I come back... I might also put back on my old lights before I leave just so that the tint doesn't have to sit through the winter.

After using VHT on my 3rd brake light and not liking the outcome i just said screw it and painted it completely black with Krylon and clear coat. I like the complete black out look and didnt like the look of the VHT. Plus i already have the old school black out covers front and rear so they match the brake light better than the VHT>

what type of clear coat should i use?

I used Dupli-Color Truck, Van and SUV clear top coat found at advanced auto or autozone. I think pretty much clear coat is clear coat honestly. I've used cheap clear coat on atv parts and it has held up just as good. Whatever you use just apply a couple coats.

If you have a club lock, you can wedge that between te brakes and the seat and have the brake lights on. That way

If you have a club lock, you can wedge that between te brakes and the seat and have the brake lights on. That way

Or a snow scraper/brush or a 2X4 or a tire iron or a BIG shoe.:D

well I will have to get those pictures for you guys in a couple months because I am in China right now! Just celebrated my 21st here and it was a blast but it seems like I may not be buying a lot when I get back because I'm spending a lot here ha... but when I get home in May I will definitely get those pics taken

Woohoo! Finally found VHT Nightshades! I was browsing the aisles at Crappytire in Whitby, ON while waiting for a tire to be plugged and to my surprise they had two cans! Nabbed 'em both for $12 per can. I'm gonna try to redo the lights on sunday and see how they look.

New pics of mine.[/IMG]

Rob, did you use a different paint for the plastic piece on the rear hatch or did you just keep spraying with Nightshades?

Man VHT seems cheap around me, its about 6-7$ a can out the door, ive read from so many people that its like 12$ a can lol.

Even if it were 20$ a can (Okay maybe thats a little overkill lmao) it would still be worth it, one of the easiest, cheap, cool looking mods in my opinion!

So how is the RC 294 stuff holding up for anyone out there that has used it? I am thinking about trying it. Man that nightshades stuff is expensive. I just want to lightly tint mine. Sorta to knock the bright red off of them. I figure it will hold up pretty well if you clear over it. So any input would be nice. Thanks alot.

STU

So how is the RC 294 stuff holding up for anyone out there that has used it? I am thinking about trying it. Man that nightshades stuff is expensive. I just want to lightly tint mine. Sorta to knock the bright red off of them. I figure it will hold up pretty well if you clear over it. So any input would be nice. Thanks alot.

STU

The thing tends to wear off. Even with clear on it. Atleast for me. I did 8 medium coats and 3 clear and now after about 7 months the sides are showing some wear, I do mines twice a year touch it up a little. It wears off quicky if you wash the car often it wears off quick also. The rc can spits out a lot even though it's a small can. I did 8 coats each unit, I still have a lot left. Probably get 3 more coats per unit from it until it's empty.

Just re-smoked the tails and high brake light with nightshades. I'm pretty happy with the result. The before and after shot show the Tamiya paint vs Nightshades. HUGE difference! I'm thinking about going darker but I'm gonna wait until nightfall to see how the lights shine through.

Next on my to-do list is to pick up some flat black bumper paint and spray cover all the grey plastic and little rust spots.

1r6mbq.jpg

2mnryh5.jpg

has anyone sprayed any aftermarket tails? im still in china but thinking of things I want to try and do when i get back. i did my stock tails and i could see the reflectors a little more than i liked so i was thinking about spraying my clear tails. I was also thinking that i might be able to see more light with the clear ones because they were brighter than the stock ones anyway.

also, ive been looking on amazon.com alot of you can get vht and a can of clear for like $16 or so, thought that was a pretty good deal if anyone needs some.

most of these newer cars have some reflector in the rear, usually on the bummer. and this consitutes it legality.

It all depends on how dark you go with it. If you can see your reflector with the stockers painted I'm willing to bet that you'd see through your aftermarket lenses as well. Except with the aftermarket tails the reflectors aren't pressed up against the glass so it should look smoother. Clear coat and polish should add a nice shine to finish it off.

I saw a late 90's Maxima today with nicely done tails that I assume are stock (could be wrong). The finish on it was very polished and I could barely make out any interior light features. It was a pretty darkly tinted though.

ok... what type of polish should i use for them? also, will a better clear coat make them more glossy?

To be honest, I'm not sure. Probably any polishing compound would work. I have heard some people wetsand with 1500 grit before polishing.

I just clear coated mine using a Krylon clear enamel spray-can which gave it a satin finish. I'm thinking of going glossy now so I may try this myself.

Very Legal

I really like his turned out and that looks dark enough i almost went darker with mine heres some pics

Front.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Very Legal

I really like how his turned out and that looks dark enough i almost went darker with mine heres some pics

Front.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Back