STA Adrenalin Eibach Lowering Springs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

STA Adrenalin Eibach Lowering Springs

That said, and seeing you have an 05, is this something that interests you or are you throwing out a question for other members?

Forgot to update my profile. I recently traded for a '10 STA.
I would like to lower to remove some of the distance above the tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot to update my profile. I recently traded for a '10 STA.
I would like to lower to remove some of the distance above the tires.

Ah, now things make sense.
Congrats on the new ride!

I did a little research last night and contacted a company called Strutmasters today.
The reason I called them was because they had listed a Monroe Quick strut complete assembly (including springs) for front and rear and had listed the 06-10 Explorer, Explorer SportTrac and Mercury Mountaineer models with 2wd, 4wd and AWD.

After speaking to the tech he checked with Monroe and he realized their website had the SportTrac listed in error.
They have since updated the site removing the Sport Trac model.

From what he could confirm with Monroe the Springs are different compared to the other models. The struts themselves are the same in all models.

For a little while there I was hoping this could be opened to all 06-10 models but it does not appear to be the case.

Update

Update to the fitment question:
Working from home today and with no supervisor hanging over my shoulder I had time to reach out to Ford to confirm my 2008 front and rear spring part numbers.

Front = 9A2Z5310D
Rear = 7A2Z5560A

I did a search for each on the web and found:

The front fitment listed the following Explorer Sport Trac models.

This part is compatible with 16 vehicle(s).
Notes
Important part details Parts Diagram Year Make Model Trim Engine
RefNum: 6

2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

The rear fitment listed the following Sport Trac models.

This part is compatible with 16 vehicle(s).
Notes
Important part details Parts Diagram Year Make Model Trim Engine
RefNum: 5

2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 4.6L 281Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

Ford confirmed these part numbers will fit all Sport Trac models from XLT, Limited, and The Adrenalin package.
The difference is the stiffness of the spring and it is noted by the last letter of the part number. Ride quality would be affected.
An A at the end being the softest spring, then B, C and D.

So it seems the Adrenalin package added a stiffer front spring most likely to increase handling.
Ford confirmed the ride height was the same for all models.

Also, Although Not listed above Ford confirmed the 06 models have the same part numbers.

So my advice to anyone interested is do a little homework on your own, call your local Ford parts department and confirm for yourself if this part number is a match based on your vin and then make a decision based on the Spring rate.

Again, based on what I have been told, these will bolt up and fit all 06-10 Sport Trac models but ride quality will be affected.

Any idea if the lowering springs will have an effect on the the half shafts rubbing the frame when towing? I don't tow much but when/ if I do I don't want any problems. I am wanting to say I am in for a set, but I would like to hear thoughts on the towing first.

Any idea if the lowering springs will have an effect on the the half shafts rubbing the frame when towing? I don't tow much but when/ if I do I don't want any problems. I am wanting to say I am in for a set, but I would like to hear thoughts on the towing first.

First off welcome to the forum!

That's a really good question not just for folks that trailer but also for those that carry heavy loads in the bed.
To be honest I haven't towed with my STA once since I have owned it but I did load it up a couple times well beyond capacity. I am sure I had it loaded well beyond the tongue weight of anything you would tow with your STA.

I am the type that likes a visual aid so I went out this morning and tried to capture some pics. It was difficult crawling under and getting a decent picture.
It was really cramped and I really couldn't get the angle I wanted no matter how I tried.

29830699440ec8d19b169496c1d4b7a4_zpse1429601.jpg

5355b1fde17e2deb5f87cf465eee7f8c_zps18076559.jpg

b5157f4316cab69661e9240a3ca24567_zps83c4f849.jpg

a29cf005bb401cd9276f5406da34b64f_zps4e87616b.jpg

My thoughts on your question are this.
There is approximately 2-1/2" inches from the top of the half shaft to the top opening in the frame.
From the bottom of the half shaft to the bottom opening of the frame it is approximately 2".
My measurements may be off a little but I am confident they are close.

For the sake of argument let's use 2" as the drop.
So in theory with the new Spring installed it is shortening the gap from the top of the half shaft to the top opening in the frame to 1/2" of clearance.

When carrying or towing a load you are weighing down the entire rear, IR included, compressing the springs and changing the angle of the half shaft to the wheel possibly bringing it closer to the top opening of the frame.

So in answer to your question, yes I think it could be possible for the half shaft to rub the frame if the vehicle is over loaded but again, as you folks know, I am not an expert.

I am hoping someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in with their thoughts.

First off welcome to the forum!

That's a really good question not just for folks that trailer but also for those that carry heavy loads in the bed.
To be honest I haven't towed with my STA once since I have owned it but I did load it up a couple times well beyond capacity. I am sure I had it loaded well beyond the tongue weight of anything you would tow with your STA.

I am the type that likes a visual aid so I went out this morning and tried to capture some pics. It was difficult crawling under and getting a decent picture.
It was really cramped and I really couldn't get the angle I wanted no matter how I tried.

29830699440ec8d19b169496c1d4b7a4_zpse1429601.jpg

5355b1fde17e2deb5f87cf465eee7f8c_zps18076559.jpg

b5157f4316cab69661e9240a3ca24567_zps83c4f849.jpg

a29cf005bb401cd9276f5406da34b64f_zps4e87616b.jpg

My thoughts on your question are this.
There is approximately 2-1/2" inches from the top of the half shaft to the top opening in the frame.
From the bottom of the half shaft to the bottom opening of the frame it is approximately 2".
My measurements may be off a little but I am confident they are close.

For the sake of argument let's use 2" as the drop.
So in theory with the new Spring installed it is shortening the gap from the top of the half shaft to the top opening in the frame to 1/2" of clearance.

When carrying or towing a load you are weighing down the entire rear, IR included, compressing the springs and changing the angle of the half shaft to the wheel possibly bringing it closer to the top opening of the frame.

So in answer to your question, yes I think it could be possible for the half shaft to rub the frame if the vehicle is over loaded but again, as you folks know, I am not an expert.

I am hoping someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in with their thoughts.

Thanks for the input and pictures. I thought that I had read somewhere about lowering these that you could only go 1" - 1 1/2" because of the half shafts going through the frame. I probably wont tow or haul much with mine either but just looking ahead. The heaviest thing I would most likely haul is my car, so I might through it on a trailer and see how much it squats.

I believe the same forum member (Psycareo?) that mentioned 1.3" as the max eventually had a 2" set made but I am unsure of the results.

If you hook the trailer up please provide feedback and measurements of the distance between half shaft and frame.
Thanks!

I am all in on a set (even a spare) so put me in for 2 sets for my 10' STA 4.6.

Also, I read many replies that stated 06-10 Sport Trac.
There actually was no 2006 Sport Trac as it skipped a model year between gens.

The big question here, is who has the set of STA springs sitting around to donate, or I can purchase a set if everyone chips in up front as I'm a sales manager at a Ford Dealer and can get them OEM for cost.

I am all in on a set (even a spare) so put me in for 2 sets for my 10' STA 4.6.

Also, I read many replies that stated 06-10 Sport Trac.
There actually was no 2006 Sport Trac as it skipped a model year between gens.

The big question here, is who has the set of STA springs sitting around to donate, or I can purchase a set if everyone chips in up front as I'm a sales manager at a Ford Dealer and can get them OEM for cost.

Destyn2001,
Thanks for the update on model years.
I will put you down for two if you like.
That's great news on the OEM springs!
If we ever get close to 50 sets we could certainly use your help!

The half shaft will not hit the frame. It doesn't have anywhere near the amount of movement it at the frame point compared to wheel movement. It is a geometry thing. I once measured the ratio but do not have it anymore. I figured it all out when I was engineering the spring and damper package for my truck. I am now lowered about an 1 1/2" and have had enough stuff in it along with a small trailer to sit an additional 1 1/2" lower... It never touched at anytime. One thing to be considered is the upper alignment slots. At the height my truck sits at now the upper slots are at their maximum. Specs are fine but maxxed out, slightly too negative on camber for some. It doesn't bother me because I drive aggressively and the extra stability is what I want anyhow. The slots could be lengthened some and bring the camber to a more neutral position... Another thing to consider is dampers. What damper do you think is going to work with the higher spring rate? There is no bolt on unit that I know of currently. :usa:

Fordsvtsta,
Updated with your interest but to be honest this isn't really making any progress.

Calahan#2211,
Do you have any pics of your truck you can post?

Sure would like a set to just lower the front. Is that possible?

I'd personally prefer 2inch drop at the front with a 1.5inch drop in the rear just to be safe. Unfortunately this truck wasn't designed to be customized .

Yea I hear you CODell85GT, its kind of sad that we cant get 50 people to sign up. This trucks been out for a while now anyone who probably had any interest in lowering the truck gave up by now. BUT I'm still hanging in there, I personally wouldn't mind dropping just the front by 3-4 inches only. I think it would give it a real aggressive look that way you could keep it fully functional.

If you can do just a front lower by 1.5 or 2 I'll commit for a front set. I would like the same stiffness of the A springs in our Adrenalin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I honestly didn't think 50 people would sign up but had to post and give it a try anyway because the price was very reasonable.
I'm in no rush so figure I will leave this open.

Back