Stang wheels | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stang wheels

no vibs with the spacers. They are very thin... only 3/8" they work great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on my 93 X w/ cobras, i didnt have to tie back my brake cable and I only get rubbing at full wheel lock and its not my rim that rubs, its my tire. I am running 275's though. next time I get tires, Im gonna get 255 or 265s for the front and leave 275 out back. :)

I'm actually considering going with a 255/60 when I get my cobras. Anyone know if those will rub?

Like I said, 275's rub on the 1st gens but just barely under full lock. you have a larger wheel well than I do with a skinnier tire, so i assume you would be good to go with 265's

Just thought i'd let you guys know....I'll be getting my 17inch Cobra R's this week. Should have the tire sometime the week after. I'll also post some pics. I paid $620 for wheels shipped to my door and will get the tires from www.tirerack.com for $645 shipped to my door. They will be the Pirelli Scorpion Zero's 275/55-17's.

Around here where I live, southwest PA near Pittsburgh, there arn't any modded SUV's period. Maybe a couple of rich old guys with wheels on there suburban's but thats it. I lot of foreign cars and low riders though. I have never seen another X with Cobra's except for pics on the net. I should be the first in my area.

There's some modded Blazers up here in Erie (NW PA), but no Explorer's with anything besides some paint, maybe a decent stereo. Most of the modded trucks around here are late model S series that run like crap and look worse.
Holty - where around Pgh do you live?

I live just south of the city in Washington, PA. It's about 20min drive to downtown Pittsburgh for me. I will actually be in Erie in October, my buddy is getting married up there and i'll be in his wedding.

I'd say we could meet up at a show, but the last McDonald's cruise here is in September.. it's nice to find another Explorer enthusaist in western PA though. There's maybe 2 or 3 around here that are lifted and go wheeling, but no one I know personally. BTW, I work for Stargate's Erie office, I know you know who they are :)

I have the 17x8 Cobra's on my X:

I have the 17x8 Cobra Rims on my X. Got the whole set for $600 with shipping on eBay brand new Ford part. I have spacers on the front and everythign is fine. Here's a pic:

Dead Link Removed

Eric

here are some stats

well i went up to my local ford dealership asking about the bullet wheels for the mustangs and lightening wheels. first off, the lightening wheels WON"T fit explorers unless you have a custom made fit for the lugs drilled. now all the mustang rims that have 4.5" bolt pattern, 5 lug with 5.72" backspacing will fit the explorer. that means that all the cobra R's, bullets and so forth with the above measurements will fit an explorer. i am getting the charcoal 5 lug 17X8 bullets for my truck here next month.

Re: here are some stats

Originally posted by FastAZZ4.0
well i went up to my local ford dealership asking about the bullet wheels for the mustangs and lightening wheels. first off, the lightening wheels WON"T fit explorers unless you have a custom made fit for the lugs drilled. now all the mustang rims that have 4.5" bolt pattern, 5 lug with 5.72" backspacing will fit the explorer. that means that all the cobra R's, bullets and so forth with the above measurements will fit an explorer. i am getting the charcoal 5 lug 17X8 bullets for my truck here next month.

FrankRizzo says "The 17 X 8 "SVT" 5 spoke Cobra R look a likes (D-178's or "1998 Cobra wheel")will not fit 96 and up 2WD's. I know for sure because I bought one to test it out. In front, the wheel hub is not thick enough, and you would have to pop off the "SVT" center caps and let the wheel bearing dust caps poke thru." So just because the bolt pattern is the same doesnt mean they will fit. I guess you are going to use spacers so the center caps will clear the hubs.

Bzzt. I have a '96 2WD, and last fall the day my brother was putting his rims away I had my front end off the ground, so we decided to see what they look like. They fit fine, slid all the way on, no problems clearing the brakes or the hub, and they're 17x8's.
Are you sure you didn't mean 4wd?

Originally posted by SycoPhant
Are you sure you didn't mean 4wd?

Could be. We will have to wait and see if FrankRizzo replies and lets us know if the fitment problem was on a 4 wheel drive or not.

well i may be wrong, i was just putting out there what the ford bubba said. after all their best tech guy couldn't tell me what the little "gas tank with 3 drops" light was next to my battery gauge was. it comes on every now and again but just as a flash. so hey he might be wrong. but the wheels that i am getting are the bullit style wheels. so those better fit, otherwise those numbnuts up there are going to reimburse me for giving me bum scoop.

D-178's:
I promise you that on a 98-01 4 door 2WD V8, they will not fit on the front unless you pop the center cap off and let the wheel bearing dust cap poke thru.

I paid $125 for the wheel from Diversified Motorsports.
If it fits on your X, buy three because I'll sell you the fourth one, new in the box for $65 plus shipping...

They changed it so it squeaks when you drive down the road.:confused:

well i just took my cobra r's off to try my 01 polished mustang cobra rims 17x8. They fit great but look a little funny. They have 245/45/17 up front and 275/40/17 drag radials out back... but boy does it change the gearing going to a little tire and my truck is much faster on the take off... im going out to wash my truck and ill post a few pics a little later

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok- i said i would post some pics and here they are..... instead of my chrome 17x9 cobra R's
here is a set of polished SVT 17x8 '01 Cobra Rims..... which should be the same as '96 and '98 cobra rims and bullet rims....

this is on my '96 AWD

P5100267.JPG

more pics at http://www.jasonh.net/saleenlimited/ and click on explorer....

I like these on my ruck better cause the small tires lowered my truck another 1.5"s but the tires are really to small.. :(

let me know what ya think

Back