BD's 2000 Explorer Limited | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BD's 2000 Explorer Limited

2000 Explorer Limited

-Picked her up (10/13/2010)
-140,093 miles when I test drove it
-5.0 V8, AWD
-Pearl White
-Dark grey leather interior

My dream explorer basically, no more old ones, no more sports, I finally have an Explorer that I love everything about!

I absolutely love the limited, its got:
-Seats w/ headrests
-Memory power seats
-Heated/Puddle mirrors
-Better mirror without all the buttons, just the slider
-Painted to match bumpers and grille
-Woodgrain radio bezel
-Digital HVAC controls
-And its got the homelink visor with a nifty little voice recorder that I will probably never use LOL

And alot more, but im just in awe over its nice features compared to my previous rides. They even recently (In the past few months) had a brand new hitch installed and the trailer harness all wired up.

I dont have any set plans for this one yet, I do have hopes and dreams though, and im stoked about the V8 that has so many options.

Dream list:
-Torque Monster headers
-Custom Tune
-LED tails (Something custom maybe, I just need to study up on resistors and whatnot)
-BMW projectors in a blacked out housing

It does have a few problems that id like some help with, (Fixed all, besides this one)
1. The blower only works when its on all the way high, (Same thing in my grandam, but it was the blower motor resistor then everything worked great) is that a common problem on the digital HVACs?

"For sure" plans include:
-New rims, id like to get a nice 5-spoke set of 20's with a beefy tire
-Paint job in the spring, black
-Some interior accents (Id like todo another metallic blue color like I did in my grandam)

He was asking 3400$ in the ad, but I talked him and his wife down to 2900$ because I was pointing all the little problems out that I mentioned above.

I didnt get a chance to really take any pictures, as it was raining, and almost dark by the time I got home.

10-13-201011-32-20PM.png

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

I was bored on the way home so I took some random "driving" pictures :D

IMG_1252.jpg

My friend was driving my Grand Am in front of me, I have a Avic-F700BT in there that will also be going into the Explorer, he was using the GPS to get us back home

I was extremely happy also, I was averaging 16.2 MPG driving with a decently heavy foot getting the feel for the V8 I was controlling :D

IMG_1251.jpg

Edit- 1/21/11
New parts!

Hubs
Tie rod ends
Lower ball joints
Upper ball joints (Control arms)
Tires: Firestone Destination A/T's 255/70/R16's
Brake Pads

Soon:
Slotted (And drilled maybe) Rotors
Better pads
New shocks
Leafs
Shackles
Amsoil (In everything!)
Rebuilding tranny (And possibly a valve body kit)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first key is to be able to get a ratchet or breaker bar on the tensioner in just the right position to twist it easily. You need a different combination of tools for that job. I usually can get my very long 3/8" ratchet onto the tensioners. The trick is to find the right thin tool to get in there without having to twist your arm or make a big fist too much.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sorry for the overly excessive rant...I was just so pissed off, my arm was pretty thrashed, and I am just so fed up with the squeaking.

I did try the water trick, squirted about 3 squirts and the chirping would go away for about 15 seconds, I kept doing it because I forgot what an engine without a squeaking belt sounds like :p:

Im gonna take my Napa belt back, order the Gatorback from RockAuto, and probably stop by muffler man and see what theyd charge me to throw it on. It doesnt help either that im working out in 25 degree weather.

On a better note though, look what showed up today :D
2010-12-22142714.jpg

2010-12-22143826.jpg

All of those new parts, is it Christmas? I've got a few old Nakamichi amps I want to install some day. You know, the old days when amps didn't have big watt ratings, or distortion. I think my first two are 30WX2 and 75Wx2, and I bought a couple similar used last year. The are as big as the new stuff with 1500W, but they take as much current for the lower wattage. I wish they still made those.

Keep at it, cold weather will make you tough. FYI, keep night cream(Mary Kay) on the backs of your hands, and the cracking fingers. Regards,

These are plug and play, no tapping of wires and these lights go right in with no cutting or swearing... I didn't use the strip because they run off of three 194? bulbs and they weren't as bright as the halos and didn't look right. I might pick up some super bright led 194's and hook them up.
I think its an h1 for the projector.

Damnit sean! :p: Got mine yesterday and its an H3 for the projector, and an H1 for the high beams. I was so excited to put them in today then I realize when I popped the little rubber thing off to take the halogen bulb out that it looked completely different. No biggie though since they shipped the H1 bulbs in like 3 days....hopefully ill have them Wednesday or Thursday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
And on another note, I know I talked about doing the 4406, getting my trans rebuilt, and/or the valve body kit, etc, then I just kinda quit talking about them....I didnt forget about that, nor decide to not do it, im just saving up the money because 1300$ is alot for me at the moment :( So all these things ive been asking about and getting advice from you guys, im saving all that information and whatnot for the near future (End of winter/early springtime :D)

Hey sean99-

I got my headlights in (Not installing them til I get the correct HID bulbs in the mail), but I have a couple mroe questions for you man.

1. How hard are these to aim? (Actually, HOW do you aim them?)
--I dont see the projector/high beam reflector being adjustable like the LED halo projectors

2. Are there any tips/tricks to getting these to fit?
--The led halo projectors were a ******* on my 95' I could never get them to sit right

Well got my lights all setup last night (Put the HIDs, in, which fit PERFECTLY, unlike the other style projectors that take H1's)

I replaced the bulbs in that strip on top with the SMD LEDs, and it looks AMAZING!

I got them all ready last night, so today I could stop at my friends house and put them on (He has the dremmel, garage, etc which helps :p:), I get there this morning, driving through dangerous rain (Downpouring so hard I couldnt see 20' ahead of me), and get in his garage realizing I forgot the ballasts for the HIDs.

So anywho I got them installed, realizing that I ALSO forgot to put the LEDs in the drivers side strip (Ones white, ones dull yellow), so im off to put those on, hoping it doesnt start raining again.
2010-12-31144941.jpg

It is winter right?:scratch:

The HIDs fit in the projectors beautifully, and the stock "pin" system held them in very tight and secure.

2010-12-30134758-1.jpg

Here is what I was talking about with having one side converted to LED, and the drivers side still the regular filament bulb (The strip above the high beam/projector)
2010-12-31160030.jpg

2010-12-31160038.jpg

2010-12-31160045.jpg

Final install: (Xenon Wholesale sent me 6000k H3's instead of 5000k, but I didnt wanna wait any longer to install the housings so ill deal with it.)
2010-12-31162500.jpg

I also am gonna order the relay kit becase the drivers side does flicker, but I could only notice it usually for the first couple minutes then it was very slight, but I cant stand to know that it will flicker.

2010-12-31162509.jpg

2010-12-31162525.jpg

Heres my cluster BTW (LED Conversion done)
2010-12-29173824-1.jpg

And just to show how intense it is, I took this pic so you could see the HVAC system lights and the message center
2010-12-29173932-1.jpg

Also, whatsup with my blinkers now?

I recorded it with my phone, but at first I show the flashers (Normal speed)
Then the blinkers blink fast, then I start it and theyre normal.

Summed up: When the trucks running my blinkers are normal, when its key on, engine off, the blinkers blink like theres a bulb out...
(Tach didnt wanna register when I made the video, so turn your sound up and youll know when its running)

Hey, sorry about the h1 h3 mix up...Your X looks great...I like your style!! ;)
Did the lights go right in for you with no issues?
I have the fast blinkers with the engine off too. I never noticed until i added the side blinkers, thought that was the issue until now :)

Attachments

• turn signals 3.jpg
    turn signals 3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 659
  • turn signals 2.jpg
    turn signals 2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 643

Hey, sorry about the h1 h3 mix up...Your X looks great...I like your style!! ;)
Did the lights go right in for you with no issues?
I have the fast blinkers with the engine off too. I never noticed until i added the side blinkers, thought that was the issue until now :)

Thats pretty interesting....but yea I didnt have a problem all day until turning into my neighborhood the right blinker was blinking fast. No problem with the mixup though, they sent the lights out in like 2 days :)
I like your style too man haha!

Really liking that HID conversion. Hoping to eventually follow along the same path.

Yea, its like a night and day difference. I am sending my kits back though, I thought "Xentec" was a pretty reputable company but my low beams are flickering like crazy now, its EXTREMELY noticeable and pretty embarrasing. I am gonna go with a DDM TUNING kit along with the relay harness just to be safe.

Yea, its like a night and day difference. I am sending my kits back though, I thought "Xentec" was a pretty reputable company but my low beams are flickering like crazy now, its EXTREMELY noticeable and pretty embarrasing. I am gonna go with a DDM TUNING kit along with the relay harness just to be safe.

Lloking forward to reading that write up. Although it's not currently on the top of my to-do list. Hope you have better luck with the next kit.

Brian, have you got any pictures of the beam pattern / cut off of the projectors with the HID's in them?

Nah, I havent gotten any yet, total crappy weather, on top of HORRID aiming, its terrible, I drove home with just my fogs as theres no glaring/crappy patterns

Got some beam shots for you guys, snapped a few while I was on break, ill uplod them when I get home around 11, I also got a video of how bad my flickering is.

hi brian i was watchin ur video of ur system in ur explorer did u tint ur windows limo dark or did they come like that when u bought it.

Nope, thats just the stock tint. I am pretty happy with it, (Everyone thinks its limo tint :D), but I do want to get a layer of limo under it, when its sunny you can see through it pretty good.

*NOTE* Fog lights are aimed. Low/High beams are not.
*Pavement was VERY unlevel, alot higher in front of me, which is why it doesnt look so good.

Fogs only: (10,000k)
2011-01-01184243.jpg

Low Beams (Projectors, 6000k) (Terrible)
2011-01-01184302.jpg

Fogs & Lows:
2011-01-01184314.jpg

Fogs & Lows on the road:
2011-01-01221252.jpg

2011-01-01221600.jpg

oh my :(

You need to find a big wall to park facing ASAP! hahah

I know right!

The sad thing is, I dont know how to aim these housings :( I dont see aiming screws like the other one-pieces. :(

Back