Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Strange Test from message center

Discussion in 'Computers, Chips & Tuning' started by doubleDD, May 14, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Colorado Great

Colorado Great New Member

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 Limited
      I have the same on HOT days

8/30/2010 Had a six month NEW battery but it was BAD! CHANGE YOUR BATTERY BEFORE ALL ELSE!!! Another suggestion is to take off battery cover and make sure you use the felt washers so you do not have parasitic discharge COMMON to covered batteries and this design. This will solve this issue.

7/16/2010
      Thank you for this grand info - I have read it all. I had this show up last week, outside temps over 85 could not start garaged truck, jumped- started no problems, test started. I have gone twice to auto store to check elec system, found no problems. Have a 6 mo old Bosch Battery with 1000 CCA. Still fighting...

Last edited: August 30, 2010
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. REDZONE25

REDZONE25 New Member

City, State:
      MIAMI, FLORIDA
      2005 FORD EXPLORER XLT
      Sorry for not getting back any sooner. Did not have a computer for a while. Yes... this did solve my issue.

4. bd0419

bd0419 New Member

City, State:
      Burleson, TX
      2005 Ford Explorer
      I see this is an old thread but thank goodness doubleDD started it a few years ago! I've just started having this same problem with my 05 Explorer and really didn't want to have to take it to a mechanic to have the problem diagnosed. My battery isn't that old so maybe I can get it replaced at a reduced price since it should still be under warranty.

bd0419

5. REDZONE25

REDZONE25 New Member

City, State:
      MIAMI, FLORIDA
      2005 FORD EXPLORER XLT
      Am glad you were able to solve this issue as well. For anyone out there having this issue of different types of codes coming up on the dash board, i was told the following. When the battery does not regulate the correct amount of power or voltage to the car, the computer will start going crazy giving different types of readouts.Once I replaced that battery, never again has it occurred. Good Luck

6. Upright

Upright New Member

City, State:
      Kansas City
      '05 Explorer Eddie Bauer
      Great thread! My '05 EB displayed "test" in the message center this morning. Interestingly, I discovered that one of my kids left a door open overnight. Even though the auto-shutoff prevented the battery going dead, it was still a little sluggish starting. Subsequent starts today have been fine, with no more "test" displayed in the message center. I'll be investigating a new battery, too!

-Craig

7. Beadymonique

Beadymonique New Member

City, State:
      Keller, Texas
      2005 Mecury Mountaineer
      Thanks to everyone who posted this information. This site has always been helpful, just wanted to show my appreciation. Hopefully the new battery will solve my problem.

8. Fast96Cobra

Fast96Cobra New Member

City, State:
      Connecticut
      2005 Exploder
      Great thread

I did a google search for this "test" diagnostics explorer thing. My 05 Eddie just a couple of days ago started this symptom. Wasn't looking forward to doing all the crap involved with this kind of thing, yes my exploder has been hard starting the last few days. I will repost when the new battery goes in. Thanks:salute:

9. Fast96Cobra

Fast96Cobra New Member

City, State:
      Connecticut
      2005 Exploder
      Yep, went to Sears Auto with my DieHard Platinum, 49 months old, and they said it was bad. Got a new one for half price ($112), now it should be good. I'll post if it was not the problem. Safe driving all. Happy Holidays.
      Dan

10. TVZ2005

TVZ2005 New Member

City, State:
      Indiana
      2005 Explorer Limited
      So, I'm looking to purchase a 2005 Explorer and it was doing the same thing on start up. I'm glad to know the problem. Incidentally, about 3 months ago, I had a similar problem on my 2008 Chevy Express with erratic dashboard, transmission problems, engine codes, and hard starting, all out of nowhere in cold weather after letting the van sit for a few days. The codes were for "lost communication with the control module." Again this was Chevy, so how is it relevant? In that case I wiggled some wires and got it started. Subsequently, I took battery cables loose where they connected to the fuse panel and cleaned the contacts and no problems since. So if the battery is not that old, there may be just a corroded contact, you might try cleaning the contacts before purchasing a battery.

11. Daddy'sGirl

Daddy'sGirl New Member

City, State:
      Havertown PA
      2004 Ford Explore
      Part number 4L2T 10849CF

I read a gentleman's post and what is happening to his Explorer is also happening to mine, but mine also die on me and I had to get it jump, it started fine the first 3 times but now it's hesitating and the message board say almost the same thing, except some of the numbers were different. So if anyone can tell me where the part 4L2T 10849CD can been found and where it goes I will be most gratefull :exp:

12. ckhoover58

ckhoover58 New Member

City, State:
      MA
      2003 mountaineer
      2004 Mercury Mountaineer

I am having the same problems and same error codes, I am going to unhook battery to and see if it will reset itself before I replace battery. But before all this started my windows will not go up and down at all from any door. Hoping that it is a fuse. Right now tooo cold to check fuses. Thanks for the info

13. Tom Janquart

Tom Janquart New Member

City, State:
      Green Bay, Wisconsin
      2007 Ford Explorer
      I have had this happening to my Explorer for about a month. Seeing that this is an occurrence that happens to many vehicles across many products from Ford, I wonder why the Service check-in people at the dealership did not know about this test and part situation. I was told the instrument package cost $500.00 to install. With no indication of causes I had them give me the CCA of the battery. They said it was 650. Then I thought, "Why didn't they clean the terminals on the battery during oil change and maintenance checks?" I'll do my own service checks before I take it to a third party to have the battery, alternator and other levels checked.
      Thanks for responding on this forum, I think it may have saved me $500.00.

14. Tom Janquart

Tom Janquart New Member

City, State:
      Green Bay, Wisconsin
      2007 Ford Explorer
      Okay, it wasn't $500.00. I cleaned the terminals and it helped to charge the battery a little. But using a small $10 voltmeter with the engine off the battery read only 10+ volts. Basically it was on its last legs. Battery replacement fixed the problem with the instrument package fail even though the test said the charging system was good.

Thanks to everyone that posted.

15. Beemer

Beemer New Member

City, State:
      Camden, NY
      2005 Explorer XLT
      I have a 2005 Explorer XLT. Exact same issue. It started with the rear wiper being hung up, which drained the battery. Replaced battery with new one, found wiper problem and fixed, still had issue with 'test' and crazy gauges, replaced alternator, then starter. It was good for three days, then the same issue again.
      Is it possible that the new battery is bad? Seems incredible, but from everything I'm reading, that just might be it.
      Also, I noticed that even right after starting the engine (when it does start), the alternator gauge is right in the center - I would have expected it to be charging more just due to the current being taken out when starting.

Any ideas?

16. Fordmanstrawser

Fordmanstrawser New Member

2005 ford explorer sport
      Dtc 9352 is low battery voltage from everything I have read.

17. Joe in NY

Joe in NY Active Member

City, State:
      Binghamton, NY
      2002 Eddie Bauer V8 4X4
      I just fiddled with this. My workshop manuals say all of those PORT values are currently unused.

Everything was perfect, except for DTC 5284. I looked around, it says failed oil pressure switch for f150's.

18. Exproblems

Exproblems Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Orchard Park, N.Y.
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      I know this is an old post, but today when I went to start up my 2005 Explorer V-6 this morning, with temps at 11 degrees F, I received a single "Test" message on my message after the engine fired up. It took 3-4 seconds to start the engine. This is the first time I ever saw a "test" message on my screen. I noticed the engine seemed to turn over slower than usual, but the truck hadn't run in 24 hrs, sitting in low teen temps all day and night. My engine and starter are 1 year old and the battery is 4 years old and my battery cables all look good, clean and tight. Once the engine was running and the "test" message was on the message screen, I didn't know what would happen next. I expected the PCU to go through a test on it's own but it did nothing, so after waiting 2 minutes or so, I decided to try and clear the message screen myself and I hit the "reset button" and all it did was go to the next step in the test procedure. I kept tapping the rest button and it went thru numerous test and read out screens as described earlier in this posting, only to go back to the beginning of the test all over again. I did notice during the tapping thru the test screens, my Alternator was putting out 14.4-14.6 amps with the engine running. So I feel good about the Alternator. To finally clear the message screen of the test diagnostic, I shut the engine off for 30 seconds or so then re-started the engine and the Test screen was gone, back to normal mode with the odometer reading, compass and outside air temp showing. I then drove to the gym and re-stated it with no issues 2 1/2 hrs later. Once I got home, I hooked up my battery charger to the battery and battery charge meter showed battery power between the 3-4 mark, or 3/4 quarter charged. I am currently charging the battery set to a 12 amp quick charge and will let it charge up for a few hours and see where it is at. As noted in this posting, I figure I might need a new battery and the next few nights will be extremely cold, -10 below zero wind chills and I'll see if it happens again. if it does, I'll go to Advance Auto Parts and pick up a new 1,000 CCA battery. My current battery is an 850 CCA battery that came with the truck when I bought it 4 years ago. I'll post up any new findings in the next few days. If anyone can add anything to this, please let me know, thanks.

19. trevzman

trevzman New Member

05 Explorer xlt v8
      info center buttons not working

Hello I was curious about running this test but I have noticed something about mine. The instrument cluster was changed by the previous owner and the info setup reset buttons dont do anything or make a beeping noise when pressed. They do light up when the lights are on. I am curious to know if the buttons are bad or something is different about the cluster because the trip button works. Does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can take a better look at it. I really want to be able to see my distance to E and avg fuel mileage.

20. waveoner76

waveoner76 New Member

City, State:
      Bronx NY
      2005 Mercury Mountaineer
      05' mercury mountaineer in test mode

Today I had the same problem with my 2005 Mercury Mountaineer V6 AWD. After hitting the reset button through the test I saw diagnostic codes 9352 & 9318. Hi then shut the vehicle off for about 5 minutes then attempted to turn it back on but it would not start. When I turn the key to turn it on I have a cracking sound. Im tempted to buy a new battery after reading the post on this forum but I'm a bit nervous that he might be a starter issue. My battery is about 3-4 years old. Coincidentally i just drove about 2200 miles round trip from New York to Florida.

Any further feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated that but I'm definitely considering changing the battery tomorrow.

21. ramrod9cars

ramrod9cars New Member

City, State:
      Sequim Washington
      2004 Limited 4.6L SOHC

22. ramrod9cars

ramrod9cars New Member

City, State:
      Sequim Washington
      2004 Limited 4.6L SOHC
      Same problem with 04 Limited V8 4WD. Went thru same steps about the TEST, vibration and sweeping of gages, hitting the reset button through the test, saw diagnostic code 9352. In my case, dead battery had occurred with temps overnight in the teens. Vehicle sat in driveway for 12 hours. Jump start brought back to life the 650CCA battery With the engine running, the crackling sound I heard came from the radio (lost all presets). A change out to my spare 850CCA battery and cleanup of the terminals seem to have solved the immediate problem of the Strange Test Message. My 850CCA battery was new on the shelf manufactured 11/2015. Old battery manufacture date is 04/2015. After reading the posts on this forum has anyone suffered the Strange Test problem, a year or two after battery change out?