Sun., Oct 27. Crabtree Falls, Staunton, VA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sun., Oct 27. Crabtree Falls, Staunton, VA

donkey boy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 WJ
I will be going wheeling with folks from Richmond to Crabtree Falls, Staunton, VA next Sunday, Oct 27. It will mostly be Jeeps, but it's not a Jeep only event. Therefore I thought I will post it here. Don't ask me how the trail is: I have never been there :D Meeting point in Richmond is behind Circuit City at W. Broad Street, but I don't know yet what time. Let me know if somebody is interested and I will keep you posted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You gonna meet anywhere in Staunton? I could possibly meet you there and go from there? Also, what time?

Where excatly is Staunton? I'd be interested if I can get a trailer or maybe get tags for the X... just as long as I make it through friday night. There is a party friday night out in king william county with a mud hole that is suposed to be realy nasty. A couple buddies of mine don;t think I can do it, so I am gona give it all the X has (and hopefully not break anything).

Chris

Off Topic

Chris,

How's your rig coming? What have you done since I was up there getting parts from you?

Rick
PS. I'm still running the tires that were on the wheels, radiator is not in, hatch gasket is on, A/C still not hooked up.

Originally posted by Isles4evr
Where excatly is Staunton?
Staunton is in western VA where I-64 meets I-81. About an hour and a half from Richmond.

As soon as I have the details I will post them here. You can also check out the original treat at JU.

Rick, slow progress, eh? Just kidding. Last time you saw it I think was right after I finished the 4wd conversion and put the 33" MT/R's on it. Since then I've stripped the carpet and put down bed liner, sealed it inside as best as possible, took out my auto tcase and put in a manual (still waiting for another part from Ford). Did a tad bit of trimming, sway bar disconnects, got my A/C to work (finaly after 3 years without it)... i think that's about it. I am waiting to get a 6" kit and take off the body, but I gotta wait until I get a few more bucks in my belt. I took it out the toerh weekend to finally test out my 4wd, worked wondefully.

Oh yeah, and I will try to make this one... I think I am going to re-register my truck on thursday, because I don;t see any sense in trailering it up there.

And BTW, Rick, do you still have the plans for your bumpers? I am going to start to do something along the lines of what you have so I;d like an idea as to how your set up is.

Thanks
Chris

Short up-date

Richmonders: We will meet on Sunday at 8:00 at the west end Circuit City (intersection W. Broad/Gaskins). People wanting to meet us in Staunton. I don't have any location yet, but I guess time will be between 10:00 and 10:30. Just bring some lunch and your normal trail equippment.

I'll keep you posted, and check also the thread at JU for more information. Right now it looks as if we are about 10 rigs, so probably about 7 or so will show up.

Alright that sounds good. I couldn;t register my Explorer today becuase I couldn;t seem to find my title. So my dad has to go up to the DMV and get another one, since it is still in his name, then sign it over to me so that I can go up there an get plates. Maybe tomorrow?!?

When & where

Sunday, October 27th 2002:

The ones wanting to meet in Richmond:
Behind the west end Circuit City (intesection Gaskins/W. Broad) at 8:00

The ones wanting to meet at the trail:
At the T & K Country Store in Lowesville, close to intersection Rt. 778 and Rt 666 at 10:15.

Rundown from I-64 as I was told (I was never there yet)
rt 29 south - rt 56 west, about 5 mls - rt 151 south for 1/4 mile - rt 778west Lowesville road to Lowesvilles. According to Virginia Atlas page 54/55, the approx. coordinates of the meeting point should be 37°43' N; 79°04' W for the GPS-geeks :D

See-ya Sunday :cool:

If its Rt. 29, thats down near Charlottesville. If its that far, I might have to sit this one out. I was thinking Staunton, thats like 20 minutes away.

Originally posted by VBVASploder
If its Rt. 29, thats down near Charlottesville. If its that far, I might have to sit this one out. I was thinking Staunton, thats like 20 minutes away.
Actually, Lowesville is south-west of Charlottesville and south-east of Staunton. There are roads running over there from Staunton, but I guess it still will be about 1/2 hours from Staunton.

If you can make it, see you Sunday, otherwise, see you probably on the 9th at Harrisonburg (still not sure, I will be in MA and CT that entire week so ...)

Originally posted by donkey boy
If you can make it, see you Sunday, otherwise, see you probably on the 9th at Harrisonburg (still not sure, I will be in MA and CT that entire week so ...)
Hope you can make it man! Have fun on Sunday and we'll be looking for ya in November!

Doesn;t look like the Explorer will be making this one. Got to the DMV too late today so no tags, and I am about to finish up the tcase linkage right now.

Maybe next time... see yall in GWNF

Chris

I had a AWSOME time

:cool: Woohoo :cool: You guys don't know what you missed on Sunday :D
Weather was great
Scenery was great
Turn out was great with about 17 rigs, mostly Jeeps but not all
Trails were great, with quite some playgrounds of different nature to have fun with. The trails were definitely more difficult than the ones know around Harrisonburg and also offer for advanced rigs plenty of fun. Most obstacles have bypasses, but not all. I would not recommend them for stock Explorers without protection. Skidplates and/or enough hight are a must if you like your tranny fluid, and rockrails a very good idea. I used mine quite a bit, and my muffler offers now almost an inch more ground clearance than before :eek: , but I made it without body damage. We strapped, winched (a tree out of the way), used the HiLift and pushed, with other words, we had FUN

We once should plan a ride there. Unluckily, the trails are pretty hard to find if you don't know your way around there so we would have to recruit a trailguide.

Back